Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    This is what infuriates me - If you move to a country you should respect its laws etc.
    Of course, but at the same time, the laws should change in response to the will of the people. Hence democracy is lovely.

I'm still confused at your position though.

Ive always been in favour of completely secular schools
    Was that a typing error as it seems to contradict what you are saying now about outsiders living to the law of the insiders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I believe most Muslims think that Britian should bend around their rules and unfortunately, due to extreme PC and acceptance laws, they are partially succeedind.
    Yup. Im all for tolerance of alien cultures etc but at the moment there is no repicrocal call for tolerance and acceptance of the culture of the nation to which you are emigrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Of course, but at the same time, the laws should change in response to the will of the people. Hence democracy is lovely.

I'm still confused at your position though.
    The problem is that the laws are changing in response to the demands of a minority who want to be given special treatment.
    Was that a typing error as it seems to contradict what you are saying now about outsiders living to the law of the insiders?
    I dont see how you can come to that conlusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The problem is that the laws are changing in response to the demands of a minority who want to be given special treatment.
    But how much of a minority are they? And in future? In 20 years time, the attitudes of the British public could be completely different. In that scenario, why would we keep the old laws? You are of course right that a small group should not have more influence than a majority, but if the majority came to agree to those demands, then those demands would be met.

I dont see how you can come to that conlusion.
    I got the impression that on the one hand, you were saying that different groups of people should have completely seperate schools with no intergration, ie with different education policies, and on the other hand you expect immigrants to fall silent and accept legal policies they do not agree with. Please clear up this confusement.

ReputationRep:
    I got the impression that on the one hand, you were saying that different groups of people should have completely seperate schools with no intergration, ie with different education policies, and on the other hand you expect immigrants to fall silent and accept legal policies they do not agree with. Please clear up this confusement.
    I said there should be schools catering to different abilities or career paths. I said there should not be schools catering to single ethnic or religious groups.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well the sentance "Ive always been in favour of completely secular schools ..." threw me off as it didn't differentiate between academic or religious. Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I support France's move to force teachers of muslim schools to force the teachers to speak French. All those who immigrate should consider themselves French, not Algerian, Muslim, ect.
    That simply does not apply here in England. I mean there are alot of ethnic minorities in London where I live. However for soem reason you have to be WHITE SKINNED to be fully accepted as a British person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by london_1)
    That simply does not apply here in England. I mean there are alot of ethnic minorities in London where I live. However for soem reason you have to be WHITE SKINNED to be fully accepted as a British person.

Well, those of non Caucasian ancestry are around 15% here in Canada.

In cities like Vancouver, Many 1st or 2nd generation immigrants segregate themselves within the city. Some cant even speak english. I went to China town in Vancouver and asked a lady for direction, and she replied to me in some asian language.

It would be funny to see in the future immigrants annexing part of Vancouver to form their own state. Example, Vatican. Another example that your not familiar with is Reserves. The Native peoples in Canada pressure the goverment using legal matters to grant land claims. They form there own little country inside Canada. This costs the goverment 7.5 billion dollars per year. Our goverment spends 10.5 billion on our military. Get the picture.

ReputationRep:
    In Canada, the goverment assists in paying for all chinese schools, Jewish schools, Hindu schools, Muslim schools, christian, ect. Now, isnt this policy wrong? Why should people seperate their children over race and religon? I attend a public school, and we are taught to understand each race. In those schools, all you learn and work with, is those of similar aspects as yourself.

Canada calls itself a Mosiac of cultures, while the U.S. is a melting pot. It seems to me, most that reciently immigrate don't even consider themselves Canadian, but Chinese, Indian, ect.

I support France's move to force teachers of muslim schools to force the teachers to speak French. All those who immigrate should consider themselves French, not Algerian, Muslim, ect.
    surely these schools you've just described arent secular. secular meaning non-denominational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    surely these schools you've just described arent secular. secular meaning non-denominational.

My bad. I am emphasising my oppinon on how all citizens should live in secular schools

ReputationRep:
    My bad. I am emphasising my oppinon on how all citizens should live in secular schools
    i guess it really depends on the circumstances.

i doubt a fully universal secular system would work properly here in northern ireland for example

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.