The Student Room Group

UCAS applications open for 2022 submissions soon - how are you feeling?

Poll

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

It's nearly here - the day you can submit your application to UCAS for 2022 entry is coming up on the 7th September.

How are you feeling about your application? Have you started it yet, or are you waiting until you get back into the swing of things at sixth form/college? There's no rush at all to submit anything - the 7th September is only when submissions open, and certainly not the deadline. You've got plenty of time to look at your decisions and application before then :smile:

Are you a med/dentistry/vetmed/oxbridge applicant thinking about your deadline coming up on October 15th and it's starting to get real?

Do you need any support at all, or is there anything you would like from us here at TSR to help you with your application?

Let us know how you're feeling :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Good. I'm nearly done. :biggrin:
Original post by Throwaway48
Good. I'm nearly done. :biggrin:

Amazing! How are you feeling about submitting? If you need any help just let us know!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Amazing! How are you feeling about submitting? If you need any help just let us know!

I've spent nearly a year on it so I am excited to finally submit it. It's quite satisfying because I'll have more time to focus on meeting (and hopefully exceeding) my offers.
Original post by Throwaway48
I've spent nearly a year on it so I am excited to finally submit it. It's quite satisfying because I'll have more time to focus on meeting (and hopefully exceeding) my offers.

Oh wow - you are super prepared! Amazing. Good luck with your application and submitting :biggrin:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Oh wow - you are super prepared! Amazing. Good luck with your application and submitting :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile:
One plea to people applying early - don’t use all 5 choices now. Put your top 4 (or 3 if you’re applying early for specific universities and not for med/dent/vet) choices in your early application and wait until after Christmas to add your final choices.
Original post by PQ
One plea to people applying early - don’t use all 5 choices now. Put your top 4 (or 3 if you’re applying early for specific universities and not for med/dent/vet) choices in your early application and wait until after Christmas to add your final choices.

In your opinion should we apply to our most competitive unis now, or after Christmas?
Original post by Year12Studentt
In your opinion should we apply to our most competitive unis now, or after Christmas?

Apply to your favourite universities now (if you’re applying early).

If you aren’t applying for an early deadline course/university then there’s no benefit to applying early. In many cases (lots of Scottish universities, LSE, some UCL etc courses) it just means a longer wait.

Apply for your 100% definite favourites first. Use your remaining choices after Christmas.
I've been filling out the application form and when trying to add my GCSEs it was not working. I'd put in all the correct info, then when I clicked save an error message came up, but the qualification still appeared on that tab with half the information wrong. E.g. I put my music GCSE in and dated it August 2020, then I saved it and it would appear as July 2019 for some reason. It's really stressing me out because I am an early applicant and my school has set a deadline for finishing everything by the 10th September.

Original post by PQ

Why should we not put down all 5? I'm pretty certain that the 5 I've chosen are all the right decision.
Original post by PQ
Apply to your favourite universities now (if you’re applying early).

If you aren’t applying for an early deadline course/university then there’s no benefit to applying early. In many cases (lots of Scottish universities, LSE, some UCL etc courses) it just means a longer wait.

Apply for your 100% definite favourites first. Use your remaining choices after Christmas.

Thank you! I will be applying to LSE (it'll be my first choice), should I do this later and wait too see if I get any offers before then?
Original post by Year12Studentt
Thank you! I will be applying to LSE (it'll be my first choice), should I do this later and wait too see if I get any offers before then?

It’s your choice. If you apply early for LSE then there’s a strong chance you’ll be waiting until after the January deadline for a decision.

You might get decisions from some of your early choices before Christmas that will influence whether you want to use your 5th choice for something safer or riskier.
Original post by Cupcakes12
I've been filling out the application form and when trying to add my GCSEs it was not working. I'd put in all the correct info, then when I clicked save an error message came up, but the qualification still appeared on that tab with half the information wrong. E.g. I put my music GCSE in and dated it August 2020, then I saved it and it would appear as July 2019 for some reason. It's really stressing me out because I am an early applicant and my school has set a deadline for finishing everything by the 10th September.

Why should we not put down all 5? I'm pretty certain that the 5 I've chosen are all the right decision.

You can’t add qualifications to a school/college with dates outside your attendance at that school/college. That might be why ucas has amended your qualification dates.

And even if you’re sure it’s worth saving one of your choices for future-you. Lots of applicants are sure and then change their minds after the first term of their final year. There’s no disadvantage to saving one choice back and a lot of benefits if you do end up changing your mind (or feel more comfortable putting an aspirational choice or want a safer choice after you have decisions from some of your early choices)
Original post by PQ
You can’t add qualifications to a school/college with dates outside your attendance at that school/college. That might be why ucas has amended your qualification dates.

And even if you’re sure it’s worth saving one of your choices for future-you. Lots of applicants are sure and then change their minds after the first term of their final year. There’s no disadvantage to saving one choice back and a lot of benefits if you do end up changing your mind (or feel more comfortable putting an aspirational choice or want a safer choice after you have decisions from some of your early choices)

Ah ok, I'm going to check I've put the correct dates in for when I was at that school (I definitely was at school then tho) and see if it works after that.

Also that makes sense about saving a choice, I hadn't really thought about that. (I didn't even know it was something you could do!)

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey @PQ could you offer me any advice?

I have my five choices (Four Liberal Arts and One Meditteranean Studies/Religion) but have just thought about changing to a more artsy degree as a career in exhibition or set design seems more appealing. I have found five-ish courses I like but I don't know what to do:
1) stay with liberal arts and see if that works out,
2) work on a portfolio now and apply for design now
3) or take a gap year to work on a portfolio properly
-- the main problem is I haven't done art since year nine (four years ago) so the portfolio would be very rushed [although I have found courses that don't require art / have a foundation year option].

Sorry for the block of text I'm just really lost :s-smilie:
I had no idea :eek:

thank god, im not early entry.
I'm just finalising my PS really :smile:
finalising my fav unis. I think I have 6 on my list but there are 5 I'm leaning to.
I'm a bit worried about affording transport to open days :s-smilie: Virtual open days are useful but in person is different.

I'm still in the assessment/waiting process for medical stuff so it's annoying when filling in medical information/disability stuff...

mostly all good tho :h: :yy:
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Hey @PQ could you offer me any advice?

I have my five choices (Four Liberal Arts and One Meditteranean Studies/Religion) but have just thought about changing to a more artsy degree as a career in exhibition or set design seems more appealing. I have found five-ish courses I like but I don't know what to do:
1) stay with liberal arts and see if that works out,
2) work on a portfolio now and apply for design now
3) or take a gap year to work on a portfolio properly
-- the main problem is I haven't done art since year nine (four years ago) so the portfolio would be very rushed [although I have found courses that don't require art / have a foundation year option].

Sorry for the block of text I'm just really lost :s-smilie:

Apply for FAD (art and design foundation diploma) courses outside ucas. Decide in August whether to start a degree or take a diploma (I would recommend the diploma- you can always pivot back to liberal arts after trying out creative design full time for a year pre degree)
Original post by PQ
Apply for FAD (art and design foundation diploma) courses outside ucas. Decide in August whether to start a degree or take a diploma (I would recommend the diploma- you can always pivot back to liberal arts after trying out creative design full time for a year pre degree)

Thanks for the advice :smile: I've managed to find three local colleges that do the diploma. As they are outside of UCAS applications, should I still go through UCAS and apply for the Liberal Arts degrees?
I'm applying to the HSPS course at Cambridge (sociology politics etc but not economics) but I am applying for economics at 4 other unis so im not sure what approach to take for my personal statement
I've applied, and am so scared for the wait tbh! Why can't they just reply in september D:

Quick Reply

Latest