Chemistry a level

Watch this thread
Loooooollxoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m doing Chem for a levels do u guys have any
tips ( serious ones pls) and what topics do I learn in year 12?. Thanks
AelinGalanythius
Badges: 13
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Loooooollxoo)
What you learn will depend on the exam board so I'd advise searching up your exam board's specification. Biggest tip I can give is PRACTICE QUESTIONS. With easier content, you have harder questions and vice versa. Knowing how to answer questions is really important not just knowing the content. My fave website for practice questions was physics and maths tutor!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Agree with my previous speaker. The content is the one thing, but to use it in the questions is another thing. Guess that 5hyl33n has another good tips for you to help.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Agree with my previous speaker. The content is the one thing, but to use it in the questions is another thing. Guess that 5hyl33n has another good tips for you to help.
Thank you for the tag, Kallisto.

Hi! :hi:

Good luck with Year 12!

I've just finished A-Level Chemistry myself, so hopefully, that puts me in a position to give advice. In A-Level Chemistry, the content is divided into three sections: Organic, Inorganic and Physical.

Content

Organic Chemistry
In Organic Chemistry, you will learn about mechanisms and their reactions, reactions in industry and reactions in everyday life.

Inorganic Chemistry
In Organic Chemistry, you will learn about trends in the periodic table, properties of elements, reactions of the elements etc.

Physical Chemistry
In Physical Chemistry, you will learn about how to find out atom economy, percentage yield, titrations, Maxwell Boltzmann distribution, mass spectrometer etc.

Tips for A-Level Chemistry
- Keep on top of your work.
- If you do not understand something, tell your teachers! Please, do not ignore it, as you will probably need the knowledge to understand the next concept.
- Use different resources to understand concepts. Some resources tend to explain things in not-so-clear ways and other resources sometimes have easier explanations.
- Test yourself with your knowledge through past-paper questions.
- Find the right revision technique that works for you as soon as possible. For me, flashcards and posters helped a lot. I wasn't very keen on mind maps and large chunks of text.
- Use the specification. This will tell you everything you need to know. If it's not on the specification, you do not need to know it.
- Regularly revise past topics. Do not tell yourself that you will revise it in a few weeks, because I assure you, from experience, that will not happen!
- Keep yourself organised. Make to-do lists of all the tasks you need to complete.
- Do not spend every minute of the day revising. Take breaks and eat/drink plenty.
- Lastly, enjoy! A-Level Chemistry is great and if you follow all the above tips, I'm sure you will find the A-Level much easier to handle.

If you give tell me which exam board you are with, I can offer more detailed advice.

Hope this helped and feel free to ask any more questions. Good luck!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Thank you for the tag, Kallisto.

Good luck with Year 12!

I've just finished A-Level Chemistry myself, so hopefully, that puts me in a position to give advice. In A-Level Chemistry, the content is divided into three sections: Organic, Inorganic and Physical.

Content

Organic Chemistry
In Organic Chemistry, you will learn about mechanisms and their reactions, reactions in industry and reactions in everyday life.

Inorganic Chemistry
In Organic Chemistry, you will learn about trends in the periodic table, properties of elements, reactions of the elements etc.

Physical Chemistry
In Physical Chemistry, you will learn about how to find out atom economy, percentage yield, titrations, Maxwell Boltzmann distribution, mass spectrometer etc.

- If you do not understand something, tell your teachers! Please, do not ignore it, as you will probably need the knowledge to understand the next concept.
- Use different resources to understand concepts. Some resources tend to explain things in not-so-clear ways and other resources sometimes have easier explanations.
- Find the right revision technique that works for you as soon as possible. For me, flashcards and posters helped a lot. I wasn't very keen on mind maps and large chunks of text.
- Use the specification. This will tell you everything you need to know. If it's not on the specification, you do not need to know it.
- Regularly revise past topics. Do not tell yourself that you will revise it in a few weeks, because I assure you, from experience, that will not happen!
- Keep yourself organised. Make to-do lists of all the tasks you need to complete.
- Do not spend every minute of the day revising. Take breaks and eat/drink plenty.
- Lastly, enjoy! A-Level Chemistry is great and if you follow all the above tips, I'm sure you will find the A-Level much easier to handle.

If you give tell me which exam board you are with, I can offer more detailed advice.

That is great! I know that you were the perfect help, I can't best it.
Loooooollxoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)

Good luck with Year 12!

Content

Organic Chemistry

Inorganic Chemistry

Physical Chemistry

Thank you so much!!
Karmaisasin
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My tip is to take note of everything in class. This works for any subject, but science specifically
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.96%
The paper was reasonable (195)
48.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
24.94%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed