The Student Room Group

Do A-level grades "expire"?

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by randomuser1101
Sorry if this sounds stupid but I don't want to make any mistakes. I have 4 A-level qualifications that I achieved this year. I am sitting exams for 2 more A-levels in 2022 and 2023 (1 on each year). I would like to apply for imperial college london in 2022. Would they give me a 3 grade offer for my A-levels (1 grade predicted, 1 achieved in 2022 August and one of the four other A-levels I sat in 2021)?

No, basically.

What's all the shenanigans with taking two more A levels having already taken four this year? I presume that you got two poor grades, and you're now resitting them? Your dates are a bit of a mystery: why are you taking another A level in 2023 when you're applying to university in 2022 :iiam:

Good universities usually want to see a full programme of A levels taken in one sitting (and for medicine, this is usually mandatory). This means three A levels. Resits are usually OK, but they usually need to be taken in the following year. This is from Imperial's FAQs on resits:

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 15.21.41.png

You haven't said what course you're applying for, but offering 2 A levels from 2021 and a resit from 2022 for 2022 entry would be fine. Trying to offer one A level from each of multiple years is probably going to raise eyebrows, and make you a less competitive candidate. I think you'd be best off to contact Imperial to see their opinion of your actual proposition.
Sorry if this sounds stupid but I don't want to make any mistakes. I have 4 A-level qualifications that I achieved this year. I am sitting exams for 2 more A-levels in 2022 and 2023 (1 on each year). I would like to apply for imperial college london in 2022. Would they give me a 3 grade offer for my A-levels (1 grade predicted, 1 achieved in 2022 August and one of the four other A-levels I sat in 2021)?

You can ask Imperial, but be aware that they are very selective and make offers above the minimum requirement. I don't know their view on A levels over multiple sittings, but you do need to find out.

What are your A level subjects, grades, and desired degree course?
Original post by Reality Check
No, basically.

What's all the shenanigans with taking two more A levels having already taken four this year? I presume that you got two poor grades, and you're now resitting them? Your dates are a bit of a mystery: why are you taking another A level in 2023 when you're applying to university in 2022 :iiam:

Good universities usually want to see a full programme of A levels taken in one sitting (and for medicine, this is usually mandatory). This means three A levels. Resits are usually OK, but they usually need to be taken in the following year. This is from Imperial's FAQs on resits:

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 15.21.41.png

You haven't said what course you're applying for, but offering 2 A levels from 2021 and a resit from 2022 for 2022 entry would be fine. Trying to offer one A level from each of multiple years is probably going to raise eyebrows, and make you a less competitive candidate. I think you'd be best off to contact Imperial to see their opinion of your actual proposition.

I have 3 A stars and an A. I am not resitting any exams. The course I want to apply for requires two A stars in two A levels that I have not taken (maths and further maths). I am sitting one exam in 2022 and another in 2023 because I am not prepared to apply for this UCAS cycle and I am planning to work before attending university. So I thought there would not really be much point in taking both these A levels in 2022 since I won't be attending university until 2023.
(edited 2 years ago)
My subjects are history, economics, art history, and english literature. I am privately studying maths and further maths A-levels. I have 3 A*s and an A (+ A in an EPQ). I want to apply for mathematics and computer science.

You need to talk to an admissions tutor at Imperial. I would be concerned that you're doing 2 A levels over 2 years - I would do both in one year, to show that you can cope with a reasonable workload. There's also the issue of a less competitive third subject. Again, I don't know Imperial's view on A levels in multiple sittings, although you do have a valid reason, IMO.

My son read that at Imperial. It is a very competitive course. Given that you only recently seem to have decide to do both subjects, you will need a lot of justification and demonstrated interest. You must have other options - Imperial, like Oxbridge, is, IMO, very much a "roll of the dice" application, even without your complications. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest