The Student Room Group

Am I going to be terrible at A-level maths if I don't understand ratios?

I just don't get ratios. I've finished the section, but I've been struggling for ages on it. It's so stressful. I still have proportion to do and that's a huge hassle.

I don't have any issues with algebra or trig or pretty much anything else, it's just ratios. I can't believe how hard they are. Maybe because they're wordy questions, but still.

It makes me feel like I'm stupid. I know I can all this, but it's so confusing at times.

Thank you
Reply 1
No I think you’ll be fine. I don’t recall doing ratios for a level maths. Probably depends on your exam board tho
checking your exam spec might help
What part about ratios are you struggling with? There isn't really a section on "ratios" in A level maths as far as I'm aware, but part of doing well in it is understanding the GCSE topics as it builds on them quite a bit & goes into more detail than GCSE.
Original post by Zelerate
What part about ratios are you struggling with? There isn't really a section on "ratios" in A level maths as far as I'm aware, but part of doing well in it is understanding the GCSE topics as it builds on them quite a bit & goes into more detail than GCSE.

I guess it's just the concept of ratios in general. The same with proportion, although I have just started it.

I can do the questions and get the marks, but I just don't get the idea of it. Why not just use fractions? All these wordy questions.

I've done differentiation, integration, Taylor and McLaurin series and all that stuff in the past, but ratios are just unbelievably difficult to understand the concept of. I just don't know what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest