mannkaty0
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone! I thought I'd create a place where we can all discuss how our Optometry applications are going

Here are some questions I thought we could answer:

What Unis are you hoping to apply to?
What A-levels are you doing?
What are your predicted grades?
Are you applying to anything else apart from Optometry?
Why do you want to study Optometry?

Maybe I'll see some of you at open days / interviews!
Last edited by mannkaty0; 4 months ago
mannkaty0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by mannkaty0)
Hi everyone! I thought I'd create a place where we can all discuss how our Optometry applications are going

I'm applying to Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and possibly Hertfordshire.
Bio, Chem, History.
A/A*, A, A.
I'm thinking of applying for Orthoptics as a back-up option.
I've had vision problems since I was young (myopia and amblyopia) because I was born premature, so I've had lots of experience going to opticians. I also like the idea of helping people and doing something medical that doesn't involve surgery.
Aathira N
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

What are your predicted grades?

Hi, I'm applying to Cardiff's preliminary year optometry programme as I don't do the typical A-levels of biology, chemistry and physics (I do 2 btecs- applied science and health and social care and sociology A - level). I'm also applying for podiatry at Cardiff metropolitan and Salford university and putting orthoptics at Liverpool and Sheffield as my back up.
Nirari
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm applying to Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and possibly Hertfordshire.
Bio, Chem, History.
A/A*, A, A.
I'm thinking of applying for Orthoptics as a back-up option.
I've had vision problems since I was young (myopia and amblyopia) because I was born premature, so I've had lots of experience going to opticians. I also like the idea of helping people and doing something medical that doesn't involve surgery.
Have you already sent your application?
Nirari
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi I am applying to Aston, Manchester, City and Glasgow... My gcses are 7 and 8s and my predicted grades are AAB. Wbu? What are your gcses and predicted grades?
mannkaty0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Nirari)
Have you already sent your application?
Hi! I sent it off about a month ago and I've got 4 offers now!
How's the application process going for you? I'm happy to help with anything x
mannkaty0
Rep:
Hi I am applying to Aston, Manchester, City and Glasgow... My gcses are 7 and 8s and my predicted grades are AAB. Wbu? What are your gcses and predicted grades?
My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grades
Nirari
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grade
Wow nice. I sent off my application last week and waiting for replies.
How long did each uni take to reply to you? have you had any interviews?
Last edited by Nirari; 1 month ago
KillMech
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grades
What choices are you guys thinking of firming and insuring?
mannkaty0
Rep:
It took about a week to hear back about interviews, but Cardiff gave me on offer a week after I sent my ucas off without an interview. After I did the interviews, it took 2 weeks to hear back from UWE and Plymouth and 1 day from Aston. I had my interview for orthoptics at Sheffield on Wednesday so I'm still waiting to hear back from them!
Last edited by mannkaty0; 1 month ago
mannkaty0
Rep:
(Original post by KillMech)
What choices are you guys thinking of firming and insuring?
Cardiff or Plymouth but I'm not completely sure which way round atm 🤔
KillMech
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Cardiff or Plymouth but I'm not completely sure which way round atm 🤔
Ahh ok, which is closest to home? I am applying to Plymouth with BTEC and A level Biology. Not heard anything yet.
mannkaty0
Rep:
Ahh ok, which is closest to home? I am applying to Plymouth with BTEC and A level Biology. Not heard anything yet.
Plymouth's pretty close for me haha, what about you?
KillMech
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It took about a week to hear back about interviews, but Cardiff gave me on offer a week after I sent my ucas off without an interview. After I did the interviews, it took 2 weeks to hear back from UWE and Plymouth and 1 day from Aston. I had my interview for orthoptics at Sheffield on Wednesday so I'm still waiting to hear back from them!
So you had an interview from Plymouth? Not heard anything from them yet, not even an interview
Aathira N
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
which course for Cardiff did you apply for? The main course or the course with a foundation year?
harun03
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i applied to manchester and got 3 A’s
mannkaty0
Rep:
So you had an interview from Plymouth? Not heard anything from them yet, not even an interview
I had an interview about 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't worry about them taking a while to reply though because it'll probably take longer over Christmas 🙂
mannkaty0
Rep:
(Original post by beckyd4444)
Applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Aston, UWE and GCU
Doing Bio, Chem and Psych predicted A*Aa
Only applying for Optometry
So far I have three interviews, one tomorrow, just waiting on my top choice Cardiff’s offer and GCU, it’s been about 3 weeks since I sent my application
Good luck!!
germain818
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beckyd4444)
Applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Aston, UWE and GCU
Doing Bio, Chem and Psych predicted A*Aa
Only applying for Optometry
So far I have three interviews, one tomorrow, just waiting on my top choice Cardiff’s offer and GCU, it’s been about 3 weeks since I sent my application
Did you get an interview for cardiff? (Im also applying btw)
username5864825
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by germain818)
Did you get an interview for cardiff? (Im also applying btw)
They don’t always do interviews but I haven’t heard anything from them yet either way, when are you applying? Goodluck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.2%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.66%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.13%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (263)
48.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.33%

Watched Threads