The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by schakir
I am a dental nurse of 8 years with one post qualification.
Completed my Access to Health Profession course with 33 distinction however no GCSEs or A levels
I have applied to-
Queen Mary
London south bank
Newcastle
Essex
Teeside
I am currently on first year doing Adult Nursing however I have realised its not for me and want to do hygiene instead, will this give me less chance?

Hi, I'm currently in my first year at LSB/ UCLH studying dental hygiene. Usually to be offered an interview you will need to meet the universities minimum grade requirements which also includes GCSE's between 2 - 5 at C/4 and above. Dental hygiene/ therapy is very competitive with lots of applicants, but if you meet the grade requirements you are usually guaranteed and interview :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by NBrailey
Hi, I'm currently in my first year at LSB/ UCLH studying dental hygiene. Usually to be offered an interview you will need to meet the universities minimum grade requirements which also includes GCSE's between 2 - 5 at C/4 and above. Dental hygiene/ therapy is very competitive with lots of applicants, but if you meet the grade requirements you are usually guaranteed and interview :smile:

Yeh i dont think i will get an interview lol since i dont have GCSE but i have everythingg else they are looking for
Original post by Dentaldreams
I was wondering whether anyone had advice regarding admissions. I applied last year made it through to every interview, but I was unsuccessful afterwards. Does this mean my personal statement was okay? Meaning I can leave it the same this year? Also does this show that I’m better on paper than in person?
I’d appreciate any advice x

Hey, your personal statement must have been fine. If you are planning on using it again this year you need to indicate this as it will flag up as plagiarism as you have used it previously. I would probably change it a bit, just to show how you have grown since you applied last year as they really like that. You could also state what you have done in this time to further educate yourself ( have you read any dental journals, free online courses etc). The interview stage can be brutal with so many applicants it can come down to very minor things, if someone had higher grades, came across better during the interview so don't be disheartened. Definitely practice speaking to yourself in the mirror or with someone you feel comfortable with so that they can give you feedback and remember to be yourself and tell them who you are, your hobbies, interests, what drives you and what can you offer to the profession. Good luck :smile:
Original post by schakir
Yeh i dont think i will get an interview lol since i dont have GCSE but i have everythingg else they are looking for

You can always apply to study for your Maths and English GCSE's now so that you will be ready for next sept cohort. Many colleges offer evening classes and you can even do them online at least that way you can state that you are working towards them. I think Essex only ask for maths and English, but queen Mary asks for 6 and LSBU asks for 5. Wishing you all the best on your journey :smile:
Reply 24
You can always apply to study for your Maths and English GCSE's now so that you will be ready for next sept cohort. Many colleges offer evening classes and you can even do them online at least that way you can state that you are working towards them. I think Essex only ask for maths and English, but queen Mary asks for 6 and LSBU asks for 5. Wishing you all the best on your journey :smile:

Essex accept the math and english within the access course that I have.
I ll wait for a rejection then lol
Original post by schakir
Essex accept the math and english within the access course that I have.
I ll wait for a rejection then lol

Fingers crossed for you
Reply 26
Fingers crossed for you

Thanks alot! Also do you know anyone that actually got in with no GCSEs?
Original post by schakir
Thanks alot! Also do you know anyone that actually got in with no GCSEs?

I don't, sorry. The courses are highly competitive so they don't take the applications further if you don't meet the minimum requirements.
For my cohort this year only 19 of us were offered a place.
Reply 28
I don't, sorry. The courses are highly competitive so they don't take the applications further if you don't meet the minimum requirements.
For my cohort this year only 19 of us were offered a place.

Oh wow not that many! Well done for getting in! I rang essex they said they will take 72 for sept 22 entry

Hi
I'm applying for dental hygiene/therapy and I'm currently doing a levels
How is the course so far?
Original post by blink2020
Hi
I'm applying for dental hygiene/therapy and I'm currently doing a levels
How is the course so far?

Hey,
The course is going well and we have already started using the phantom heads which is exciting.
There is a lot of content to learn and our timetable is quite full, but it just means we have to be super organised to stay on top of everything.
I'm only in week 6 so far but I am loving it!
Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by fatoumata15
Regarding your personal statement what did u include ? Eg extracurricular or volunteering

I included my experience as a dental nurse as well as extracurriculars such as the DofE and charity shop voluntary work
Hey, your personal statement must have been fine. If you are planning on using it again this year you need to indicate this as it will flag up as plagiarism as you have used it previously. I would probably change it a bit, just to show how you have grown since you applied last year as they really like that. You could also state what you have done in this time to further educate yourself ( have you read any dental journals, free online courses etc). The interview stage can be brutal with so many applicants it can come down to very minor things, if someone had higher grades, came across better during the interview so don't be disheartened. Definitely practice speaking to yourself in the mirror or with someone you feel comfortable with so that they can give you feedback and remember to be yourself and tell them who you are, your hobbies, interests, what drives you and what can you offer to the profession. Good luck :smile:

Hi, thanks so much for your advice.
I hadn’t even considered that my personal statement might flag up. I’m definitely going to change it, but the main structure will stay the same. I took it really badly and felt awful, but I’ve personally worked really hard on my social skills since my rejections and hopefully 🤞this will be my year!
Are you a DHT student? Or applying?
Original post by Dentaldreams
Hi, thanks so much for your advice.
I hadn’t even considered that my personal statement might flag up. I’m definitely going to change it, but the main structure will stay the same. I took it really badly and felt awful, but I’ve personally worked really hard on my social skills since my rejections and hopefully 🤞this will be my year!
Are you a DHT student? Or applying?

Thats great, well done for bouncing back as I know it can be hard.
I'm currently in my first year dental hygiene at LSBU/ UCLH.
Good luck with your application this year :smile:
Thats great, well done for bouncing back as I know it can be hard.
I'm currently in my first year dental hygiene at LSBU/ UCLH.
Good luck with your application this year :smile:

Thats great, I hope it goes well for you!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by schakir
Teeside have invitee me to an interview next week! I feel so unprepared ! My first choice is Essex i really hope i hear back soon

I have my interview at Teesside next week too! I did my dental nursing course at Teesside so I know the course tutors but still feeling nervous.
Reply 36
Original post by abcdefgh0400
I have my interview at Teesside next week too! I did my dental nursing course at Teesside so I know the course tutors but still feeling nervous.

Well done! How are preparing for the interview?
Original post by schakir
Well done! How are preparing for the interview?

I’m just writing out possible questions and writing out what I would say to avoid getting tongue tied hahaha! I’m just refreshing my memory on the theory side of things as I’ve got the practical side sorted. Also need to get a ring light as it’s so dark all the time now! How are you preparing?
Reply 38
Original post by abcdefgh0400
I’m just writing out possible questions and writing out what I would say to avoid getting tongue tied hahaha! I’m just refreshing my memory on the theory side of things as I’ve got the practical side sorted. Also need to get a ring light as it’s so dark all the time now! How are you preparing?

What do you mean by “practical” side, my interview is remote? Do you have to attend uni for the interview?
Original post by schakir
What do you mean by “practical” side, my interview is remote? Do you have to attend uni for the interview?

I work as a dental nurse currently so I have a lot to talk about in regards to perio treatment etc. No my interview is online too, hence the ‘I need to get a ring light’ 🥲.

Latest