Applying to uni independently as a gap year student

Watch this thread
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hold an offer for deferred entry at a uni but want to switch courses after getting my a-level grades and doing some reading. Because I've decided quite late that I want to apply again, I've decided to do so independently without using my old school as "hub/center" as its much faster via admin and everything from what I've heard. I also can't expect my school to take on this much work since I'm telling them last minute - my school has a formal list of standard referees most will use but I will be asking a different teacher to do mine.

I assume this means my school won't have a version of my UCAS application in this case like they did last year? Furthermore they wouldn't have a private one where only they can add grade predictions and the referee? If so does that mean I get my referee to send me their referral and i manually put it in? Sorry for the qs I'm just trying to get a lay of the land before Apply actually opens and I can see firsthand what the layout is.
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I applied on a gap year, and would recommend doing it through your school anyway if you can (it just means an extra pair of eyes checking over your application and making sure you've done everything correctly).

If you do decide to do it independently, this is the UCAS advice on getting a reference:

"Or you can request a reference independently from someone else – like a current or previous employer. Contact them and explain you’re looking for a personal reference/ recommendation to study so they know not to provide a standard HR reference. If they agree, head to the reference section of your application and fill in their details, we’ll email them instructions on what they need to do. Given them plenty of time to complete the reference. If you don’t hear back from them and decide to ask someone else, you can request another reference by clicking ‘Add a different person’. Once the reference has been provided we’ll email you to let you know the section is complete."
leviticus.
Rep:
(Original post by Interea)
I applied on a gap year, and would recommend doing it through your school anyway if you can (it just means an extra pair of eyes checking over your application and making sure you've done everything correctly).

If you do decide to do it independently, this is the UCAS advice on getting a reference:

"Or you can request a reference independently from someone else – like a current or previous employer. Contact them and explain you’re looking for a personal reference/ recommendation to study so they know not to provide a standard HR reference. If they agree, head to the reference section of your application and fill in their details, we’ll email them instructions on what they need to do. Given them plenty of time to complete the reference. If you don’t hear back from them and decide to ask someone else, you can request another reference by clicking ‘Add a different person’. Once the reference has been provided we’ll email you to let you know the section is complete."
I'm so sorry I must've missed that completely when doing my due diligence! Thank you very much.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
If you'll only have been out of education for a year, I would recommend using an academic reference again rather than a professional one. Your school/college will usually have kept the previous one on file. They may be willing to update it a little with any relevant gap activities.
leviticus.
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
If you'll only have been out of education for a year, I would recommend using an academic reference again rather than a professional one. Your school/college will usually have kept the previous one on file. They may be willing to update it a little with any relevant gap activities.
Yes I'll be using one of my teachers
leviticus.
Rep:

Just wanted to ask, does the UCAS account automatically get transferred over to 2022? Or do i need to use a new email/account
Interea
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by leviticus.)
Just wanted to ask, does the UCAS account automatically get transferred over to 2022? Or do i need to use a new email/account
Pretty sure you need to make a new account for the correct year, and then once you apply UCAS will match your details up to your old account and I think give you back the same ID. I honestly can't remember though, so hopefully someone can confirm!

Just as a side note - since they match up your details, it means you can reuse bits of your personal statement without being flagged for plagiarism, as they know it's your own work from before. Worth bearing in mind if you have bits that would be best staying as they are
leviticus.
Rep:
Pretty sure you need to make a new account for the correct year, and then once you apply UCAS will match your details up to your old account and I think give you back the same ID. I honestly can't remember though, so hopefully someone can confirm!

Just as a side note - since they match up your details, it means you can reuse bits of your personal statement without being flagged for plagiarism, as they know it's your own work from before. Worth bearing in mind if you have bits that would be best staying as they are
Yep I was planning on using some bits of my old one; do you know how the universities will verify my grades? I think my school will have been the source they used for GCSEs and my A-levels were sent directly do them, how did you verify your qualifications/were you asked to?
Interea
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Yep I was planning on using some bits of my old one; do you know how the universities will verify my grades? I think my school will have been the source they used for GCSEs and my A-levels were sent directly do them, how did you verify your qualifications/were you asked to?
One uni asked me to send scans of my certificates as a condition of my offer, but none of the others did. The one I'm going to has said to bring our certificates in case they need to see them, so maybe they'll verify them once I'm there. Either way, as long as you have your certificates you'll be able to provide whatever they need if/when they do ask.
leviticus.
Rep:
One uni asked me to send scans of my certificates as a condition of my offer, but none of the others did. The one I'm going to has said to bring our certificates in case they need to see them, so maybe they'll verify them once I'm there. Either way, as long as you have your certificates you'll be able to provide whatever they need if/when they do ask.
hola (again again!) - I'm almost done with my application and have a referee. Once i put them down as my referee and it sends them an email asking to write a reference, is my application automatically sent? I have a few edits i'd like to make before ultimately sending it (independent applicant)
Interea
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
hola (again again!) - I'm almost done with my application and have a referee. Once i put them down as my referee and it sends them an email asking to write a reference, is my application automatically sent? I have a few edits i'd like to make before ultimately sending it (independent applicant)
Once your referee has completed it you'll get an email from UCAS and the reference section just gets one of those red ticks next to it like any other section, so you still have to be the one to send it off I assume that means you can still edit it while waiting on the reference/once it has been added (I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to), but as I didn't apply independently I can't be 100% sure!
Haazytee
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hie guys can u help me, l also need to apply . Its my first time using ucas
Interea
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Haazytee)
Hie guys can u help me, l also need to apply . Its my first time using ucas
Sure - are you applying with the help of your school or with someone else as your referee?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.17%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.54%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.09%

Watched Threads