Do I have to resit GCSEs (Will not re-siting cause a problem in my application)

Watch
Mustafa-28
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am an international student and I’ve come from the Indian education system and got 96.6 in my tenth boards who wants to pursue medicine. Will they ask me to resit GCSE english and math or will it cause a problem in my university application.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Haven't you asked this before in a previous thread?
Mustafa-28
Rep:
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
Haven't you asked this before in a previous thread?
I have but that was more about managing all of this, I’m not sure if I even need to do it
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(I’m not an expert in medicine apps so am talking generally)

Was Maths taken in class XII?

English requirement could be met with an IELTS or similar. You would need to check with the uni as to their specific requirements. Class X likely won’t be sufficient

I would also double check that you’re aware of the international fees for medicine programmes.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
(I’m not an expert in medicine apps so am talking generally)

Was Maths taken in class XII?

English requirement could be met with an IELTS or similar. You would need to check with the uni as to their specific requirements. Class X likely won’t be sufficient

I would also double check that you’re aware of the international fees for medicine programmes.
I forgot to mention in my question that I’m joining in sixth form and not to a university, I’ll be taking a gap year so I don’t have to pay the large fees. But then will not having GCSEs but just the equivalents hinder me
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mustafa-28)
I forgot to mention in my question that I’m joining in sixth form and not to a university, I’ll be taking a gap year so I don’t have to pay the large fees. But then will not having GCSEs but just the equivalents hinder me
It’s actually quite difficult to say because it’s an unusual route to go from class X into a-levels.

There are a wide variety of ways in which Med schools consider applicants. Some assess
GCSE’s whilst other disregard them entirely. I can’t say whether the GCSE assessing ones will accept class X as equivalents. If you took English and Maths at AL, I suspect that would get around the issue.

Best advice I can give is to start contacting med schools now about your academic background and see what they say.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
It’s actually quite difficult to say because it’s an unusual route to go from class X into a-levels.

There are a wide variety of ways in which Med schools consider applicants. Some assess
GCSE’s whilst other disregard them entirely. I can’t say whether the GCSE assessing ones will accept class X as equivalents. If you took English and Maths at AL, I suspect that would get around the issue.

Best advice I can give is to start contacting med schools now about your academic background and see what they say.
I’m only taking math for a level but some unis need a specific grade for gcse math wb that
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I’m only taking math for a level but some unis need a specific grade for gcse math wb that
AL Maths would supersede a GCSE grade and would meet that requirement.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
Bump
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Bump
As above, start contacting Med schools now and see what they say about any English requirement and your class X academic background. Maths requirement will be met by your A-Level.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
As above, start contacting Med schools now and see what they say about any English requirement and your class X academic background. Maths requirement will be met by your A-Level.
Oh small update I contacted many med schools, some said they will accept my cbse class 10 qualifications provided it’s above 85 and others said they won’t look at gcse but use the entrance exam as a metric for proficiency in gcse level academics. Only UCL out of 20 unis I emailed said I need to resit my gcse math and English. So I was wondering what the prudent decision would be
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Oh small update I contacted many med schools, some said they will accept my cbse class 10 qualifications provided it’s above 85 and others said they won’t look at gcse but use the entrance exam as a metric for proficiency in gcse level academics. Only UCL out of 20 unis I emailed said I need to resit my gcse math and English. So I was wondering what the prudent decision would be
Personally, I wouldn’t be sitting GCSE Eng and Maths for the sake of one possible choice. I’d concentrate my efforts on A-Levels and prep for the entrance exams.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
Personally, I wouldn’t be sitting GCSE Eng and Maths for the sake of one possible choice. I’d concentrate my efforts on A-Levels and prep for the entrance exams.
That’s what I was thinking but my school says inevitably it’s my choice but they are saying hat despite the unis saying it’s not needed it’s gonna cause a problem in my application
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
That’s what I was thinking but my school says inevitably it’s my choice but they are saying hat despite the unis saying it’s not needed it’s gonna cause a problem in my application
Schools aren’t experts in uni admissions. You’ve gone straight to the source so that would be good enough for me.
Mustafa-28
Rep:
Schools aren’t experts in uni admissions. You’ve gone straight to the source so that would be good enough for me.
Thats true. Also dropping will help me focus more on my subjects
SyedN
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Admit-One has given out really good advice, so please do follow their advice!
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SyedN)
Admit-One has given out really good advice, so please do follow their advice!
Thank you. You know your onions with regards to med applications, so this is much appreciated.
SyedN
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thank you. You know your onions with regards to med applications, so this is much appreciated.
No worries and thank you for all your help on the medicine forums and your kind words! :grouphugs:
Absurd_
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
hello admit-one , do high level universities like oxford/cam consider GCSE grades for entry procedures for med-school because im facing the same problem as mustafa where i have cbse grades as equivalents for gcse . Now ...all im worried is for a sixth form admission for joining next year 2022 for a-levels AND also considerations of equivalents for further studies in medicine or math.
im worried for my cbse marks because i will only receive it by april-may 2022 but i need it early to approach a sixth form with equivalents of it ...even though im an extremely late applicant for sixth form... i haven't taken an admission yet because im completely worried about a decision on this issue
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Absurd_)
hello admit-one , do high level universities like oxford/cam consider GCSE grades for entry procedures for med-school because im facing the same problem as mustafa where i have cbse grades as equivalents for gcse . Now ...all im worried is for a sixth form admission for joining next year 2022 for a-levels AND also considerations of equivalents for further studies in medicine or math.
im worried for my cbse marks because i will only receive it by april-may 2022 but i need it early to approach a sixth form with equivalents of it ...even though im an extremely late applicant for sixth form... i haven't taken an admission yet because im completely worried about a decision on this issue
This thread covers how Oxbridge consider GCSE’s in general, but is not specific to medicine. I’m not familiar either the Med admissions process at either so it’s not a question that I can answer. My advice is the same as above, contact them now and find out how they’d consider your profile.

As an aside, I would not fixate on Oxbridge for medicine because you’ll up qualified the same regardless of where you study in the UK. It’s literally just the name on your cert and it’s a competitive process enough without chasing the illusory ‘prestige’.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (4)
8.33%
Okay (17)
35.42%
A bit lacking (14)
29.17%
Not good at all (13)
27.08%

Watched Threads