The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6200
My last exam was yesterday. Life has no meaning anymore....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I've been done over a week now...the freedom is unnerving!
Hey, I have a confirmed uncoditional place to study Physics at the University of Glasgow starting September 2014. However, after some research, I believe a degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering would suit my desired career path better. What are the chances of being able to transfer and how should I go about doing it?
Thank you.
Original post by lyoninuganda
Hey, I have a confirmed uncoditional place to study Physics at the University of Glasgow starting September 2014. However, after some research, I believe a degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering would suit my desired career path better. What are the chances of being able to transfer and how should I go about doing it?
Thank you.

Best way is to email someone at the university just now and see what they have to say. I'm sure it won't be that hard to switch before classes start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchen102
Best way is to email someone at the university just now and see what they have to say. I'm sure it won't be that hard to switch before classes start

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. I took your advise and got in contact with the University.
Fow anyone else who would like to know, it is possible to transfer from one department to another. If you were to phone again in August once the numbers for the course have been finalised, there is the chance of being able to change departments if there is room on the course.
Original post by G8D
Is there any way to find out the distribution of degree classifications for a course/year? Just for curiosity.

None that I've found, though you get told who got a first at graduation so can work out first vs others.
Reply 6206
Does anyone study Business & Management? If so, can that precious boy/girl write his/her opinion for that course? And if they can tell me what's the timetable like. One more question: How do you pay for you accomodation? Weekly, monthly... ? (That is for those who live in the university's accomodation)
Original post by Ecro
Does anyone study Business & Management? If so, can that precious boy/girl write his/her opinion for that course? And if they can tell me what's the timetable like. One more question: How do you pay for you accomodation? Weekly, monthly... ? (That is for those who live in the university's accomodation)

I'm not a business student, but you normally pay for accommodation by direct debit on a monthly basis
Reply 6208
Original post by ShallWeDance?
I'm not a business student, but you normally pay for accommodation by direct debit on a monthly basis

Thanks! One more question :biggrin: I read on the website that you should pay 450 pounds for the accomodation before you are there. Do they give your money back when you've moved in?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ecro
Thanks! One more question :biggrin: I read on the website that you should pay 450 pounds for the accomodation before you are there. Do they give your money back when you've moved in?

I'm afraid not, it's not a deposit, it's to pay the first months rent
Original post by Ecro

I'm a Business & Management Student. I like it, the workload is manageable and the lectures were well planned with variations of subjects (Management, Entrepreneurship, Marketing etc.). There are 3 lectures a week and 1 tutorial, each lasts for 1 hour. You can choose which lectures / tutorial time you want to attend.
Is there anyone that is not going to live in the university halls and is looking for a flat?
Concerning the accounting and finance department of glasgow university, I know that in year 1 all subjects taught are same for all the accounting and finance students. However in year 2 I have noticed that accounting and finance students have to make an option from either the college of arts,science,social science. Does anyone know what the options are? It is important for me to know. Thank you in advance
Reply 6213
Hi there!:h: I am moving to Glasgow this fall to study Psychology (MA) at the Uni of Glasgow. I would very much appreciate if someone told me about their personal experience regarding this course. I know it is ranked fourth in the UK, so I'm assuming it is a pretty good course, but I would love to hear more about it. Any thoughts on the student apartments are more than welcome, as well!
Original post by yiannisk
Concerning the accounting and finance department of glasgow university, I know that in year 1 all subjects taught are same for all the accounting and finance students. However in year 2 I have noticed that accounting and finance students have to make an option from either the college of arts,science,social science. Does anyone know what the options are? It is important for me to know. Thank you in advance

It's any other subject at level 1. Google "glasgow uni course catalogue" and look at the various courses on offer. It doesn't have to be related to your degree at all, just whatever takes your fancy.
Original post by IlluminatedRain
It's any other subject at level 1. Google "glasgow uni course catalogue" and look at the various courses on offer. It doesn't have to be related to your degree at all, just whatever takes your fancy.

thank you :smile:
Reply 6216
hi there!

this question might be off topic, but i really didnt know where else to post it.

anyway, ive been looking at the course catalogue and ive noticed the term "excluded courses". since one of my mandatory courses (art and media informatics) is stated as excluded course at the computer science 1Q course and i would like to take CS as my third subject, id like to find out if this term means so if it somehow disqualifies me from taking CS as my third subject i have time to find some other alternative.

ive looked for explanation both on the glasgow uni pages and this forum, but couldnt find it anywhere.:s-smilie:

thanks in advance!
Original post by vaiiva
hi there!

this question might be off topic, but i really didnt know where else to post it.

anyway, ive been looking at the course catalogue and ive noticed the term "excluded courses". since one of my mandatory courses (art and media informatics) is stated as excluded course at the computer science 1Q course and i would like to take CS as my third subject, id like to find out if this term means so if it somehow disqualifies me from taking CS as my third subject i have time to find some other alternative.

ive looked for explanation both on the glasgow uni pages and this forum, but couldnt find it anywhere.:s-smilie:

thanks in advance!

It means you can't do the two subjects together, media informatics sounds like it'd cover a good deal of compsci so they exclude the course. Otherwise it could just be that the timetable doesn't work out for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6218
Hey guys, can any of you help me out? I'm looking for the best way to get into Glasgow Uni everyday from Paisley. I'm not sure what is the best option, I've been looking at SPT Zonecards but I'm worried that I'll have to buy one for over four zones which would bankrupt me.

Many thanks
Reply 6219
Original post by G8D
If you're looking at trains specifically I think zonecards are you only real option.

Isn't Paisley just 3 zones? R1, G3, G1? Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Wouldn't I have to go through G3, or can I avoid purchasing that zone as I won't get on or off anything there?

I'm looking at this map

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending