The Student Room Logo
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

foxo
That may be the case, but as a GUU member I'm quite willing to confess that The Hive smells like an uncleaned hamster cage. :frown:

:ditto:
And the walls seem to sweat :s-smilie:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
I'm really excited. I hope I can get the grades for here, anyone got any pros/cons for Glasgow uni?
laughingwithpicasso
I'm really excited. I hope I can get the grades for here, anyone got any pros/cons for Glasgow uni?

PROS
A wide range of clubs, societies and organisations to get involved in,
Excellent sports facilities both on and off campus,
Glasgow is ideally located for weekend trips into the Highlands,
Two unions, the West End and Sauchiehall St combine to give an almost endless list of pubs, clubs, bars and restaurants,
Friendly and helpful support staff

CONS
Not many to be honest, but the weather could be better.
Student2806
PROS
A wide range of clubs, societies and organisations to get involved in,
Excellent sports facilities both on and off campus,
Glasgow is ideally located for weekend trips into the Highlands,
Two unions, the West End and Sauchiehall St combine to give an almost endless list of pubs, clubs, bars and restaurants,
Friendly and helpful support staff

CONS
Not many to be honest, but the weather could be better.

How's the transport there? And which accommodation is nicest. O:)
laughingwithpicasso
How's the transport there? And which accommodation is nicest. O:)

Glasgow's transport network is the most extensive outside London. No problem there.
I lived in Murano Street - it's the biggest hall of residence and is generally regarded as the most lively.
Student2806
Glasgow's transport network is the most extensive outside London. No problem there.
I lived in Murano Street - it's the biggest hall of residence and is generally regarded as the most lively.

Does this one have ensuite? I really don't think I could handle sharing...ocd etc.
laughingwithpicasso
Does this one have ensuite? I really don't think I could handle sharing...ocd etc.

Murano Street doesn't have ensuite - you get a sink in your room and you share 2 shower rooms, 2 toilets and a bathroom (with a full size bath).

I was a bit dubious about sharing to be honest, but I was lucky enough to have great flatmates and it was never an issue once I moved in. A cleaner comes in every week and cleans everything so it's not that bad.
Reply 67
I would actually discourage people from choosing Murano because the heating is AWFUL! They turn the heat off completely between 10:30am and 5:30pm, and it's off overnight. I have to sleep with my dressing gown on and two duvets over me. It's also not a great location: a 25 minute walk to uni, with crap bus links. Go for QM if you can afford it, or student apartments if you don't mind sharing a (massive) room.
Reply 68
Student2806
Murano Street doesn't have ensuite - you get a sink in your room and you share 2 shower rooms, 2 toilets and a bathroom (with a full size bath).

I was a bit dubious about sharing to be honest, but I was lucky enough to have great flatmates and it was never an issue once I moved in. A cleaner comes in every week and cleans everything so it's not that bad.

A bathroom with a full size bath? Did I just miss that in the last four months I've been living here, or was it just me?
fatal
A bathroom with a full size bath? Did I just miss that in the last four months I've been living here, or was it just me?

I was in Moorfoot and yes we had a bath. It may also depend on whether you're in the small or large flats.
Reply 70
thats so so so ******** unfair. im in a large flat in pentland.
fatal
thats so so so ******** unfair. im in a large flat in pentland.

So am i! Which Pentland?! =O
Student2806
I was in Moorfoot and yes we had a bath. It may also depend on whether you're in the small or large flats.

I'm in Moorfoot now, and the bath is still there.

People just use it to wash bins in.

The worst thing about Murano is the utility room, at least for the ones my block have to use. 6 of the 12 washing machines are broken, and of the other 6, 2 have a dodgy door and one has a timer that gets perpetually stuck on the 20-minute cycle.
FyreFight
I'm in Moorfoot now, and the bath is still there.

People just use it to wash bins in.

The worst thing about Murano is the utility room, at least for the ones my block have to use. 6 of the 12 washing machines are broken, and of the other 6, 2 have a dodgy door and one has a timer that gets perpetually stuck on the 20-minute cycle.

Which Moorfoot flat are you in? I was in flat A of the middle block (I only left there in june and I've completely forgotten how each of the 3 blocks are numbered :p:)
You're right though, the laundry facilities are crap. One of my flatmates last year got all her washing locked in the machine because the door jammed.
At least it was free though.
Student2806
Which Moorfoot flat are you in? I was in flat A of the middle block (I only left there in june and I've completely forgotten how each of the 3 blocks are numbered :p:)
You're right though, the laundry facilities are crap. One of my flatmates last year got all her washing locked in the machine because the door jammed.
At least it was free though.

Flat C of the middle (5 :wink:).

I think quite a few people probably had that same problem with the laundry. 2 or 3 of the washing machines no longer have doors attached.

I'm amazed at how quiet the utility room is on a Friday night, I found 4 of the 6 machines free this evening. Which is unheard of.
Reply 75
Stace-is-Ace
So am i! Which Pentland?! =O

pentland nine? :woo:
FyreFight
Flat C of the middle (5 :wink:).

Don't suppose you know any of them in A do you?
Student2806
Don't suppose you know any of them in A do you?

Not as well as the people in flat B. Flats B and C really mixed in Fresher's, so now we're pretty much a single group, whereas A kept themselves to themselves and so now we don't know them so well. I know a few of the girls, though.
FyreFight
Not as well as the people in flat B. Flats B and C really mixed in Fresher's, so now we're pretty much a single group, whereas A kept themselves to themselves and so now we don't know them so well. I know a few of the girls, though.

That happened last year although it was between us and flat B. We hardly knew anyone from Flat C.
I know one of the girls in flat A - she lived there last year as well.
Student2806
That happened last year although it was between us and flat B. We hardly knew anyone from Flat C.
I know one of the girls in flat A - she lived there last year as well.

Ah really? Who was it? I know 2 of them well-ish, 1 of them I've spoken to once or twice and two I've never spoken to. It was probably one of the girls I haven't spoken to, I think the others are freshers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest