The Student Room Logo
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Stace-is-Ace

Hey! Sorry to quote you randomly I just wanted to ask your opinion on something!

I'm coming to Glasgow to study English Literature in September but I'm considering perhaps asking if I can change to Eng Lit/History Joint. Or at least taking both subjects in 1st and 2nd year so I can have the choice of doing joint honours.

What have your experiences been like? Is it a really heavy course load doing both those subjects in 1st and 2nd year? I know they're both quite busy courses in terms of reading and course work.

I have been to uni before and I have a degree so I know I can handle degree level work but I also know I want to do really well and don't want to risk not doing as well by taking on two 'heavier' subjects.

What are you taking on for honours? Help?!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
0404343m
Do the Durham colleges have big libraries then? I had an offer for Hatfield back in the day, but didn't really get the feel for Durham. Oxford's have decent libraries at the bigger/older colleges, but the main collection might be 9m volumes, but only 1m is on shelf. 2/3 of everything in Oxford is confined to be consulted in the library only. Given that Glasgow has virtually everything on shelf that you can take home, and that inter-library-loan is only marginally slower than requesting books from the off-site storage unit, then I really think Glasgow's library is one of the very best in the UK, certainly the best I've used, and I've been to about 20. St Andrews were supposedly getting a new one, although with the finances right now that's been cancelled- Aberdeen's is under way and Edinburgh's is getting refurbished, so in five years time this might not be the case, but I think for resources, Glasgow University is second to no one in Scotland. I'm actually looking forward to getting back there to research, this mob have never even heard of padded/adjustable seats. Research is, quite literally, a pain in the arse.

All the colleges have their own reading rooms and libraries - most have in the order of tens of thousands of books. Most of the big departments also have their own collections.
That said, Main Library isn't nearly big enough for the collection they have available. One of the things I was doing when I worked there was 'relegating' rarely used books into storage and freeing up shelf space for collection expansion. The amount of books and journals Durham has in storage is quite staggering, to the point where they rent a storage warehouse outside the city just for journals - the books are kept in a massive mobile shelving store just around the corner from the library itself.
Student2806
All the colleges have their own reading rooms and libraries - most have in the order of tens of thousands of books. Most of the big departments also have their own collections.
That said, Main Library isn't nearly big enough for the collection they have available. One of the things I was doing when I worked there was 'relegating' rarely used books into storage and freeing up shelf space for collection expansion. The amount of books and journals Durham has in storage is quite staggering, to the point where they rent a storage warehouse outside the city just for journals - the books are kept in a massive mobile shelving store just around the corner from the library itself.

Aye, that's happened at Glasgow too. From a quick check of these things, Durham holds about 1.5m volumes. Glasgow's main library was built to hold 2m, but now there's over 2.5 in it. The more detail I go into, the more stuff that has been relegated to the stacks or is in the Thurso St archives. That said, nothing like Oxford's where most of the books I need have to be requested to a reading room. The ridiculous thing is, despite this, Balliol College library holds nearly 150,000 volumes between 800 students and fellows. That's nearly as much as UWS in Paisley, for 10,000 students. So whilst you're all putting up with my moaning, it's clear that we're all spoiled for this sort of thing. Depending on how good my new office is though, will probably determine how much time I actually spend in the library after August. I want an air hockey table. Every office should have an air hockey table.
sweetnesspink
Hey! Sorry to quote you randomly I just wanted to ask your opinion on something!

I'm coming to Glasgow to study English Literature in September but I'm considering perhaps asking if I can change to Eng Lit/History Joint. Or at least taking both subjects in 1st and 2nd year so I can have the choice of doing joint honours.

What have your experiences been like? Is it a really heavy course load doing both those subjects in 1st and 2nd year? I know they're both quite busy courses in terms of reading and course work.

I have been to uni before and I have a degree so I know I can handle degree level work but I also know I want to do really well and don't want to risk not doing as well by taking on two 'heavier' subjects.

I'm sure you would be able to pick History as well, without contacting the uni. You'll have to go in just before term starts to pick your subjects and (providing the times don't clash) you should have the option of choosing any subjects in either the LBSS or Arts department. History and English Lit are both arts subjects anyway so even if it has changed you should be able to choose either as it is the department, rather than a particular subject, that you get accepted into. That said it was two years ago so it might have changed and it does no harm to make sure so you might as well get in contact with the department.

I can't speak for English Lit but I have completed first and second year history and I really enjoyed it, the workload wasn't bad at all, as long as you keep on top of it you'll be fine.
sweetnesspink

Well when you're going into honours for either English Lit or History you have to have taken at least two subjects to level two anyway. This is the same for most Arts courses as far as I know.

The advice you're most likely to get is that you should take level one English Language at some point (either in first or second year) to cover you for English Literature single honours. Most people choose that as their level one subject in second year but if you don't have an idea of what you'd like as a third subject in first year I'd say it'd be best to get it out of the way.

Also, if there is any possibility of you wanting to take single honours History (which is what I'm doing) you'll need to take an extra History module. I took an Economic and Social History module in first year (as my third subject for just one semester - I switched to Economics because I missed it.) which is fine. Over the two years you'd have the choice of taking either of the level one Economic and Social History modules or you could take an extra level two History module in second year because in each semester you get a choice. They've added in something else now which says you have to have taken a Scottish History module to progress to Honours. You can take 1C in level one (this can count as your 'extra' module) or 2SCO in level two (I just did this and it was actually pretty good!).

In terms of workload, I coped fine. Each semester you'll have an essay and some kind of seminar work for each subject along with an exam at the end of the semester. The essay and seminar work get a bit more difficult in level two but nothing you won't be able to cope with. I actually took three level two subjects in second year and although it was a bit annoying when my friends had these nice easy classes, it's worth it if you enjoy the subjects.

IF it helps you at all, I enjoyed first year English much more than second year. There wasn't much reading but the books were mostly very good in first year. Whereas in second year we had to have read at least one book a week and some of them were huge/boring/crap. It was the other way around for History - I found first year pretty boring but second year was amazing. In first year they just have to give you a good foundation in the subject I guess.

Good luck :smile:
0404343m
I move back into my new old flat (the place I used to stay, my old flatmate still lives there and was looking for a roommate again, although now we have two bedrooms and a mahoosive living room rather than three bedrooms and no living room) on the second of August. I've then got two conferences to go to and a few things to do for the NHS in Aug, probably hit the gym while the going is good (and to give me a higher base from which to fall from in September) and then start prepping the liver for FW. You should really get your form in quickly.

£1 Sunday-Thursday still exists at Viper, no? I know Bamboo still does it, but that place hasn't been good since 2006. Literally. Aren't some things in the GUU still £1, especially on Fridays? The licensing laws are different in England- not that that matters, since £3 doubles and £2 bottles of beer with just £4 entry before 11.30 are their idea of 'promos'. Even if the prices double in Glasgow, it'll still be a whack cheaper, not to mention that I'm paying £75 a month less in rent.

Cool :smile: there are potential birthday party plans for around then so I'll make sure to invite you if you're around.

Form sent! I couldn't get the formatting right...it kept going really weird with funny colours and stuff. So frustrating.
Reply 1206
Hi. Is parking on Highburgh Road free on weekdays and can I park there without a permit? I looked for notices about this and couldn't find any, but because parking around there is such a **** I just wanna check if anyone here knows.
C274
Hi. Is parking on Highburgh Road free on weekdays and can I park there without a permit? I looked for notices about this and couldn't find any, but because parking around there is such a **** I just wanna check if anyone here knows.

Dunno about Highburgh road, but University Gardens should be quiet over the summer, and only the bays on that are for permit holders. Once you cross Great Western Road to Queen Margaret Drive, that's not got any permit holder bays on it either, nor has some of the streets in Dowanhill- but they're usually packed since it's residential. Failing that, University Avenue is only £1.20 for four hours, as is the area behind Hillhead High School, which isn't the end of the world I don't think.
Stace-is-Ace
Cool :smile: there are potential birthday party plans for around then so I'll make sure to invite you if you're around.

Form sent! I couldn't get the formatting right...it kept going really weird with funny colours and stuff. So frustrating.

Shweeeet. Aye, keep me posted. I doubt the formatting will matter too badly, I think it should just depend on how proactive they've been with the applications that are already in. I don't think we'll have too many helpers though, a heap of the 2007/8 crowd have graduated.
Reply 1209
0404343m
Dunno about Highburgh road, but University Gardens should be quiet over the summer, and only the bays on that are for permit holders. Once you cross Great Western Road to Queen Margaret Drive, that's not got any permit holder bays on it either, nor has some of the streets in Dowanhill- but they're usually packed since it's residential. Failing that, University Avenue is only £1.20 for four hours, as is the area behind Hillhead High School, which isn't the end of the world I don't think.

Cheers. Every time I've seen Uni Gardens it's been packed, but I didn't know Uni Avenue was that cheap :smile: Same as it's costing me to park at Govan and get a child return actually, bargain. Thank you.
C274
Cheers. Every time I've seen Uni Gardens it's been packed, but I didn't know Uni Avenue was that cheap :smile: Same as it's costing me to park at Govan and get a child return actually, bargain. Thank you.

My general driving tactic in the West End (which I haven't attempted much in the last few years, admittedly, since I walked to Uni from my flat), is to approach from Woodlands, see if anything infront of the St Andrews building is available, then go up Uni Ave, keep an eye out for spaces but do a loop round Uni Gardens, if there's nothing so far then take a left at the Rankine Building, then go for one of the pay and display at Hillhead high school by doing another loop round the one-way system there. It's rare that there isn't spaces in one of those four areas, especially in summer. If the worst comes to the worst, there's ALWAYS spaces near my old (and soon will be current again) flat in Fergus Drive, which is just next to the shops off of QM drive and no more than 10 minutes away from Campus/Byres. Just keep that one hush, because I'd quite like to still be able to park outside my flat when I move back there.

Speaking of, that flat got broken into the other day, but idiot chav got nothing more than £30 in loose change and a nintendo wii that was on the blink. Apparently summer is the height of the problems as they reckon most people are leaving student flats empty. Another tactic is to knock on doors asking for a Mr Smith, and obviously if they get no answer after a few attempts they chance a break in. We'll soon have some reinforced locks, and alarm system and my nine iron though (as well as them knowing a. a place is never as easy to hit again after the first time and b. there's bugger all of any worth in there), and I'm lobbying for Home Alone style booby traps to add into the mix.
Reply 1211
that's a much better tactic than mine, which is to approach from GWR, turn into Otago street and up towards the school. I park there if I'm planning to go to the gym, if I'm not I just head up and round to Lilybank Gardens and 99% of the time there's a space there.
If there's not then I head up QMD too and park by my old flat on Kelvin Drive.
I didn't know University Avenue was 30p an hour though, I figured it was 50p like everywhere else I don't park. I may start turning left down Park Rd and checking out the spaces that way from now on, but since I usually have a 9am lecture, there's ALWAYS space at Lilybank Gardens, and since I'm a maths student it's handy for the three places I use most, Maths building, QM and Boyd Orr.
Reply 1212
0404343m
My general driving tactic in the West End (which I haven't attempted much in the last few years, admittedly, since I walked to Uni from my flat), is to approach from Woodlands, see if anything infront of the St Andrews building is available, then go up Uni Ave, keep an eye out for spaces but do a loop round Uni Gardens, if there's nothing so far then take a left at the Rankine Building, then go for one of the pay and display at Hillhead high school by doing another loop round the one-way system there. It's rare that there isn't spaces in one of those four areas, especially in summer. If the worst comes to the worst, there's ALWAYS spaces near my old (and soon will be current again) flat in Fergus Drive, which is just next to the shops off of QM drive and no more than 10 minutes away from Campus/Byres. Just keep that one hush, because I'd quite like to still be able to park outside my flat when I move back there.

Speaking of, that flat got broken into the other day, but idiot chav got nothing more than £30 in loose change and a nintendo wii that was on the blink. Apparently summer is the height of the problems as they reckon most people are leaving student flats empty. Another tactic is to knock on doors asking for a Mr Smith, and obviously if they get no answer after a few attempts they chance a break in. We'll soon have some reinforced locks, and alarm system and my nine iron though (as well as them knowing a. a place is never as easy to hit again after the first time and b. there's bugger all of any worth in there), and I'm lobbying for Home Alone style booby traps to add into the mix.

Thank you so much. What I'd done before was come off the expressway at partick, go up Byres road, along Uni Avenue, down the Kelvin Way and circle back via Dumbarton Road, but the Kelvin Way prices were a bit crap last time I had a look (compared to Uni Avenue anyway). And I'll keep schtum about that one.

A bucket of custard (optionally filled with stones and/or nails) perched on a door in the flat is always an option. Just cover any carpets in plastic when you set it up.
The last time I parked in Glasgow was for a conference at Easter, and it was still 30p per hour then, and a maximum of four hours, meaning you had to come back once or twice to top up. Kelvin Way, or at least the bit nearer the museum, is much more expensive- about double that anyway. They might hike Uni Avenue prices, but round the back of hillhead high school (on the same street as the car entrance to the Hub and temporary home of the SRC) is usually not too bad. Most of the meters stop at 5.15, but check on that one, because it won't be the first time that some of the touristy areas have wardens on until much later at night.
C274

I live down that way and haven't seen cars with permits but there usually aren't any spaces. My friend used to drive in to uni every day and parked in the car park at the school. I think that's where most people end up parking because they know they'll get a space.
0404343m
Shweeeet. Aye, keep me posted. I doubt the formatting will matter too badly, I think it should just depend on how proactive they've been with the applications that are already in. I don't think we'll have too many helpers though, a heap of the 2007/8 crowd have graduated.

We're thinking 5th of August for flatwarming/birthday party atm.

Yeah I'm not sure how the selection process usually works? Is it all left until the new sabbs take over?

I'll miss Ana :sad:

Who else is going?! I'm trying to think but can't....
Stace-is-Ace
We're thinking 5th of August for flatwarming/birthday party atm.

Yeah I'm not sure how the selection process usually works? Is it all left until the new sabbs take over?

I'll miss Ana :sad:

Who else is going?! I'm trying to think but can't....

Ummm, from the old guard, Kat, Flo, Frasbo, Kenzie, Andrew, maybe Kenneth, Laurie, Lauren. Then Tuula and Tommy will both be sabbs so they'll be around, and probably loads of folk that I haven't spoken to since I'm well out of the Glasgow loop. Technically, I shouldn't be allowed to do it this year, but no one really cares too much, and we're short of people that have been around for a few years and can drive minibuses. I have a thesis to hand in at Oxford on Sep 27th and since I'm a student of both universities I might have to disappear for a couple of days but I'm hoping to keep the freshers fortnight free of academic distractions. I should be back in Scotland by Aug 1st, but send me the plans and I'll let you know a few days in advance if I can make it or not.
Reply 1217
Stace-is-Ace
I live down that way and haven't seen cars with permits but there usually aren't any spaces. My friend used to drive in to uni every day and parked in the car park at the school. I think that's where most people end up parking because they know they'll get a space.

Cheers. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to drive in and see where there were spaces on a Sunday...
0404343m
Ummm, from the old guard, Kat, Flo, Frasbo, Kenzie, Andrew, maybe Kenneth, Laurie, Lauren. Then Tuula and Tommy will both be sabbs so they'll be around, and probably loads of folk that I haven't spoken to since I'm well out of the Glasgow loop. Technically, I shouldn't be allowed to do it this year, but no one really cares too much, and we're short of people that have been around for a few years and can drive minibuses. I have a thesis to hand in at Oxford on Sep 27th and since I'm a student of both universities I might have to disappear for a couple of days but I'm hoping to keep the freshers fortnight free of academic distractions. I should be back in Scotland by Aug 1st, but send me the plans and I'll let you know a few days in advance if I can make it or not.

No Vicky this time?

Dave (boyfriend) applied (not sure how I feel about this exactly but I'm sure it'll be fine...) and said he's willing to sit the test to drive the minibus so I'm guessing that'll work in his favour. He really needs to be able to drive them for Rowing things anyway so he might as well.

I'll make a FB group at some point and send you the invite.

What are you working on atm?
C274
Cheers. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to drive in and see where there were spaces on a Sunday...

Lol. You're wanting to know for when you're driving into uni, yeah? If you've got early lectures then you might get a good space but most people I know who drove in didn't have lectures until 11 so never managed to get a really good parking space. It got so bad for one of my friends that she started getting the bus.

Quick Reply

Latest