Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university went downhill

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleveranimal56
Why are you attacking their age lol?

We continue to learn with age. You cannot expect an 18 year old to know as much on higher education as someone far older who has worked in high level research, for instance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by StarLinyx
We continue to learn with age. You cannot expect an 18 year old to know as much on higher education as someone far older who has worked in high level research, for instance.

I kind of get that. The best people to speak to regarding a specific uni on a specific subject is a student that's been there done that and can advise on if its any good regarding job prospects.
Original post by samuelaccio
I chose Durham university instead of Manchester because it was fifth. I also got an offer from Manchester but rejected it. I want to know why would Durham univeristy go down to thr ninth position. What went wrong? Does this mean I would have excelled more in Manchester?

University rankings are not always completely reliable because they use subjective criteria
Anyway from fifth to ninth out of almost 150 institutions is hardly any change at all anyway
Original post by Courtesy
I'd say the Durham student would have the edge. If you look on LinkedIn and search the top law firms it is usually Oxbridge first and then not far behind is LSE and Durham. Then comes UCL/KCL/Bristol/Nottingham. All these universities have the top law schools. Edinburgh I would say is a tier below in regards to recruitment. However, if there is a top candidate from Edinburgh, nothing will hold them back from getting into the top firms.

You have to take into account that Edinburgh lowered their entry requirements to BBB from 2003 across a range of subjects specifically to attract more working class and lower middle class kids to their university. Today their minimum is now ABB, which is still generous. Bristol also did something similar.
Original post by samuelaccio
I chose Durham university instead of Manchester because it was fifth. I also got an offer from Manchester but rejected it. I want to know why would Durham univeristy go down to thr ninth position. What went wrong? Does this mean I would have excelled more in Manchester?

what kind of dumbass questions is this looool :lol:
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rankings are so highly overrated. Its down to the course, what the uni can offer you, what internships they can help you with, how is the teaching etc etc.

And anyways, dont forget it was a covid year last year. Unis ratings changed a lot. Especially some unis, really mishandled covid in certain situations. Durhams students were not allowed back in their colleges for a quite some time when restrictions were on, where as some were more relaxed, so this could have affected ratings.

If you can get a uni for physics which is good at teaching, and also has great internship opportunities and good facilities, then you cant go far wrong.

Very true, and I also strongly agree with your take on the rankings. I was just giving Aberystwyth as an example that student satisfaction is not a good indicator of the quality of a course. By no means does Abersytwyth have a bad course, but to have more than double the student satisfaction of a Physics course that is one of the best in the country further implies that it is a bad metric to determine the quality of a course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Very true, and I also strongly agree with your take on the rankings. I was just giving Aberystwyth as an example that student satisfaction is not a good indicator of the quality of a course. By no means does Abersytwyth have a bad course, but to have more than double the student satisfaction of a Physics course that is one of the best in the country further implies that it is a bad metric to determine the quality of a course.

I have a feeling more students would tell the truth in the student satisfaction surveys if they were not part of the league table metrics.
Very true, and I also strongly agree with your take on the rankings. I was just giving Aberystwyth as an example that student satisfaction is not a good indicator of the quality of a course. By no means does Abersytwyth have a bad course, but to have more than double student satisfaction of a Physics course that is one of the best in the country further implies that it is a bad metric to determine the quality of a course

Agreed. A physics student is the best option to speak to regarding a specific uni. On open days, my eldest, she asked questions as to how the course is taught, facilities, are the lecturers and head of dept's good at getting back to you, internship opportunities, help you apply for job/phd etc. What Uni also has ratings and comments as well which some can tell the honest truth about whether that uni was good at that course or not.
(edited 2 years ago)
so you study physics then courtney?
I have a feeling more students would tell the truth in the student satisfaction surveys if they were not part of the league table metrics.

True, but I've also heard some universities like to give out vouchers to encourage students to fill in student satisfaction forms, whereas I guess places like Imperial don't need to since they already know the top students will apply regardless of the student satisfaction ratings.
(edited 2 years ago)
so you study physics then courtney?

Nope, I can't imagine myself studying Physics :colondollar:
(edited 2 years ago)
Nope, I can't imagine myself studying Physics :colondollar:

lol ha neither can I. Its too hard
Reply 52
I'd say the Durham student would have the edge. If you look on LinkedIn and search the top law firms it is usually Oxbridge first and then not far behind is LSE and Durham. Then comes UCL/KCL/Bristol/Nottingham. All these universities have the top law schools. Edinburgh I would say is a tier below in regards to recruitment. However, if there is a top candidate from Edinburgh, nothing will hold them back from getting into the top firms.

I agree with this. But im guessing you're referring to that study about the universities of trainees at MC firms? If so, don't forget UCL/LSE have a large international student population who dont apply to these firms as they go to work back home. Also, the high percentage of public schoolers at Durham makes it difficult to say whether its their background or university which makes them succeed in getting into top firms. Nevertheless, i still agree Durham edges Edinburgh lol.
Reply 53

Asking my age and then using that to dismiss my point, I'd expect a better approach from someone "much older". If im so ill-informed it would of been more polite and logical to simply disprove my point, rather than dismiss it on the basis of my age.
Original post by Scrooo
I agree with this. But im guessing you're referring to that study about the universities of trainees at MC firms? If so, don't forget UCL/LSE have a large international student population who dont apply to these firms as they go to work back home. Also, the high percentage of public schoolers at Durham makes it difficult to say whether its their background or university which makes them succeed in getting into top firms. Nevertheless, i still agree Durham edges Edinburgh lol.

Edinburgh also has a high international student body.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 55
Edinburgh also has a high international student body.

Edinburgh has 18.4% international students as opposed to 53% at UCL. Although, I believe that includes UCL's postgraduates in the same figure, but the disparity is so large I imagine UCL still has far more.
(edited 2 years ago)
Why's everyone giving so much crap to Edinburgh on this thread, lmao

It's an older, better, more prestigious university than Durham???
Reply 57
Original post by econhelp525
Why's everyone giving so much crap to Edinburgh on this thread, lmao

It's an older, better, more prestigious university than Durham???

In my opinion if its got lower entry requirements, is easier to gain admission to, and has a worse reputation among employers, i don't see how you can deem it more prestigious.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Scrooo
In my opinion if its got lower entry requirements, is easier to gain admission to, and has a worse reputation among employers, i don't see how you can deem it more prestigious.

Oh, okay, so you're not basing any of this off of any actual metric, just what you feel and think. I don't particularly think rankings for employability are useful, because employers don't sit with a league table of universities, but:

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/10-best-uk-universities-graduate-employability

Look at what university ranks? Edinburgh. Know which one doesn't? Durham.

Again, not particularly useful, because Durham is good for employability, as are the majority of the Russell Group. But going to Durham won't be a 'competitive edge' over other RG/Bath/St Andrews candidates.

I mean, I've spoken to actual, industry professionals about this lol.
Reply 59
Original post by econhelp525
Oh, okay, so you're not basing any of this off of any actual metric, just what you feel and think. I don't particularly think rankings for employability are useful, because employers don't sit with a league table of universities, but:

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/10-best-uk-universities-graduate-employability

Look at what university ranks? Edinburgh. Know which one doesn't? Durham.

Again, not particularly useful, because Durham is good for employability, as are the majority of the Russell Group. But going to Durham won't be a 'competitive edge' over other RG/Bath/St Andrews candidates.

I mean, I've spoken to actual, industry professionals about this lol.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities. Since you seem agitated i didn't provide any metrics. The study is not perfect, and i've already stated the obvious critiques in my last posts. It is also regarded as a semi-target for investment banking, whereas Edinburgh is not. And to echo my previous point, Edinburgh's courses tend to be a grade lower for entry, with the implication being it attracts lower achieving students. Perhaps i am indeed wrong. Other than age, which often does, but does not by necessity grant the institution any benefit, which in my opinion is the case with Edinburgh, what metrics do you have, other than an anecdote about a "professional" you spoke to?

Quick Reply

Latest