York St John Uni

Watch this thread
thrivingfrog
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Right so I want to do psychology at university and I'm highly considering York St John, does anyone have any idea of what it's like, accommodation, surrounding location, student life, student support etc? Ty in advance!
saz25
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by thrivingfrog)
Right so I want to do psychology at university and I'm highly considering York St John, does anyone have any idea of what it's like, accommodation, surrounding location, student life, student support etc? Ty in advance!
I am going to York St John this september it is a really nice university it is in York city center which is a beautiful location which has lots of quirky shops whilst also having lots of rivers and parks to relax in or by it also is very historical which is nice. Also people in york are really nice and friendly it is also the safest city in the UK .
The student life in york is very good as there is two universitys and you have got both the clubs but there is also a ton of pubs . i found with booking events for freshers there was alot to choose from with different passes, wristbands and themed events compaired to other universitys.
With the accomidation there are alot of different ones the choose from lots with ensuits and others without and they differ in price however they are quite resonable (would suggest that you look into the different accomidation on the website)
Lastly with student support from what i have heard they are also really good would reccomend YST as they are a small university so it is more of a tighter community .
Hope this helps as know that when i was looking there was very little info on them
thrivingfrog
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by saz25)
I am going to York St John this september it is a really nice university it is in York city center which is a beautiful location which has lots of quirky shops whilst also having lots of rivers and parks to relax in or by it also is very historical which is nice. Also people in york are really nice and friendly it is also the safest city in the UK .
The student life in york is very good as there is two universitys and you have got both the clubs but there is also a ton of pubs . i found with booking events for freshers there was alot to choose from with different passes, wristbands and themed events compaired to other universitys.
With the accomidation there are alot of different ones the choose from lots with ensuits and others without and they differ in price however they are quite resonable (would suggest that you look into the different accomidation on the website)
Lastly with student support from what i have heard they are also really good would reccomend YST as they are a small university so it is more of a tighter community .
Hope this helps as know that when i was looking there was very little info on them
Tysm! This is so helpful and good luck with with starting your degree
saz25
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Tysm! This is so helpful and good luck with with starting your degree
Thank you and glad this helps as know when i was researching the university it was quite difficult but would recommend the university as it is such a lovely place both in the area and campus also the accomodation is not on the campus but it is around york city most are only 10-15 min walks away from the uni . If you have any quesstion i don't mind answering them aslong as i have the answers
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hello!

It is brilliant to hear that you are considering YSJ. :yeah:

I chose YSJ because right from the open day to now, the lecturers and all staff made me feel like they wanted me and that I am a person. I study Primary Education which has a competitive admissions process and other universities made me feel like I was fighting for a place and they only wanted the best. YSJ took the time to get to know us too!

Life in York is brilliant, I love the city. You can check out my post about living in York here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6972876.

YSJ's campus is so lovely. It is right in the heart of a busy city center so everything you need is walking distance away but we have lots of green spaces and beautiful buildings that look like Hogwarts. It is the perfect mix and I really have missed being on campus throughout the pandemic. Though they got us in as much as possible.

The support here is also great. If you are having an issue, there is always a team that can help you with it. I have never felt unsupported and have particularly been grateful for grants that the university offers if you are struggling. I also love our wellbeing dogs who you can cuddle and even take for walks!

We have places left for 2021 entry through clearing: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/clearing/?u...SAAEgIf__D_BwE.
Or if you are wanting to join us in 2022, you can come to one of our open days: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/.

We would love to have you!
Lydia
Gegs20
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Is it possible to get university accommodation through clearing?
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Gegs20)
Is it possible to get university accommodation through clearing?
Hello!

We do still have some accommodation left for clearing applicants. I would recommend that you get in touch with our team on [email protected] or 01904 876 660 if you have any specific questions or requests.

We cannot guarantee your first choice but are doing our absolute best to get everyone placed still!

Lydia
Katiew21
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello!

It is brilliant to hear that you are considering YSJ. :yeah:

I chose YSJ because right from the open day to now, the lecturers and all staff made me feel like they wanted me and that I am a person. I study Primary Education which has a competitive admissions process and other universities made me feel like I was fighting for a place and they only wanted the best. YSJ took the time to get to know us too!

Life in York is brilliant, I love the city. You can check out my post about living in York here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6972876.

YSJ's campus is so lovely. It is right in the heart of a busy city center so everything you need is walking distance away but we have lots of green spaces and beautiful buildings that look like Hogwarts. It is the perfect mix and I really have missed being on campus throughout the pandemic. Though they got us in as much as possible.

The support here is also great. If you are having an issue, there is always a team that can help you with it. I have never felt unsupported and have particularly been grateful for grants that the university offers if you are struggling. I also love our wellbeing dogs who you can cuddle and even take for walks!

We have places left for 2021 entry through clearing: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/clearing/?u...SAAEgIf__D_BwE.
Or if you are wanting to join us in 2022, you can come to one of our open days: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/.

We would love to have you!
Lydia
Hi Lydia!

Do you have examples of the first year timetable for primary education at york please? 🙂

Mum of 4 hoping to apply for 2022 entry!

Thanks x
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Katiew21)
Hi Lydia!

Do you have examples of the first year timetable for primary education at york please? 🙂

Mum of 4 hoping to apply for 2022 entry!

Thanks x
Hello,

That is great to hear. If you need any help with your application, let me know!

The Primary Education timetable is quite intense and can be up to 20 hours a week. It changes weekly to ensure that we can fit everything in. Our teaching hours are from 9am and the last lecture can finish at 8pm. Though they try to avoud this slot wherever possible!
We have mothers on our course currently who do manage.

You can get in touch with [email protected] and they may be able to provide you with one!

Lydia
Katiew21
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello,

That is great to hear. If you need any help with your application, let me know!

The Primary Education timetable is quite intense and can be up to 20 hours a week. It changes weekly to ensure that we can fit everything in. Our teaching hours are from 9am and the last lecture can finish at 8pm. Though they try to avoud this slot wherever possible!
We have mothers on our course currently who do manage.

You can get in touch with [email protected] and they may be able to provide you with one!

Lydia
Thanks!

How long does it take usually to find out if you’ve got an interview once you’ve applied?
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Katiew21)
Thanks!

How long does it take usually to find out if you’ve got an interview once you’ve applied?
Hello,

The admissions officer needs to look through each application and then invite them to interview. The earlier you apply, the quicker it will be. Interview dates will be beginning next month so applicants will soon be contacted.

A certain time frame cannot really be given but if you apply early, you could be offered an interview within a couple of days. Nearer December and January time, you look at closer to 2-3 weeks as all applications are coming in.

Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
23.62%
The paper was reasonable (58)
45.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
20.47%
It was TERRIBLE (13)
10.24%

Watched Threads