becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Welcome to the BSMS A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

BSMS A100 2021 thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6560568

For general information click: https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/index.aspx

For entry requirements click: https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate...uirements.aspx

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Underscored
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey all!

I hope you're very well.

My apologies if I've put this in the wrong thread but I just had a quick background question about BSMS.

I know BSMS is considered a particularly competitive med school even within the wider context of all med schools being very competitive. I was wondering if anyone knew why this was?

Does it just attract more applications? Or is it that there are fewer places than some of the other UK universities?

Completely understand that no one might really know but just thought I'd ask as I was curious.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
pepsiu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Underscored)
Hey all!

I hope you're very well.

My apologies if I've put this in the wrong thread but I just had a quick background question about BSMS.

I know BSMS is considered a particularly competitive med school even within the wider context of all med schools being very competitive. I was wondering if anyone knew why this was?

Does it just attract more applications? Or is it that there are fewer places than some of the other UK universities?

Completely understand that no one might really know but just thought I'd ask as I was curious.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
I'm no authority on this but I imagine it's a few factors.

1) Brighton in general is a very popular city in the scheme of the UK. It's young, lively, fun. Lots to do, big but not too big. Beach. Very close to London but still having it's own identity, not just a commuter town. This attracts a lot of people, just because it's a place people want to be.

2) Brighton is an 'easier' application, in the sense that you only have to meet minimum academic requirements and then you are ranked by BMAT. Not unique at all to BSMS, but fairly unique among BMAT unis. Again not completely sure, but I believe Leeds and for sure Oxford really care about GCSEs and predicteds, Cambridge has their A*A*A requirement and the whole holistic thing. Imperial and London are also quite holistic I believe. So really anybody has a good shot at Brighton as it's all due to BMAT and interview. Which makes it a very popular uni among BMAT applicants. However worth noting this comes with it's own risk, at Cambridge if your interview goes badly but everything else is perfect you might still get in. Once you've got an interview at Brighton, the interview is the only thing that counts. And you apply without knowing your BMAT, which is the only factor in getting an interview.

3) Lastly, I'm not sure how true this is, you'd have to look up past years. But I've heard that they actually have quite low BMAT cut-offs compared to the others. If that is true it would make sense why they have a lot of applications.

I'm still personally hopeful, the BMAT is my better test in practice and I have interviewed very well in the past (jobs). Roughly half of interviewees get offers which is a pretty high ratio. Just getting that interview is the hard part. I'm gonna practice like mad for the BMAT and pray it's enough haha
Last edited by pepsiu; 3 weeks ago
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pepsiu)
I'm no authority on this but I imagine it's a few factors.

1) Brighton in general is a very popular city in the scheme of the UK. It's young, lively, fun. Lots to do, big but not too big. Beach. Very close to London but still having it's own identity, not just a commuter town. This attracts a lot of people, just because it's a place people want to be.

2) Brighton is an 'easier' application, in the sense that you only have to meet minimum academic requirements and then you are ranked by BMAT. Not unique at all to BSMS, but fairly unique among BMAT unis. Again not completely sure, but I believe Leeds and for sure Oxford really care about GCSEs and predicteds, Cambridge has their A*A*A requirement and the whole holistic thing. Imperial and London are also quite holistic I believe. So really anybody has a good shot at Brighton as it's all due to BMAT and interview. Which makes it a very popular uni among BMAT applicants. However worth noting this comes with it's own risk, at Cambridge if your interview goes badly but everything else is perfect you might still get in. Once you've got an interview at Brighton, the interview is the only thing that counts. And you apply without knowing your BMAT, which is the only factor in getting an interview.

3) Lastly, I'm not sure how true this is, you'd have to look up past years. But I've heard that they actually have quite low BMAT cut-offs compared to the others. If that is true it would make sense why they have a lot of applications.

I'm still personally hopeful, the BMAT is my better test in practice and I have interviewed very well in the past (jobs). Roughly half of interviewees get offers which is a pretty high ratio. Just getting that interview is the hard part. I'm gonna practice like mad for the BMAT and pray it's enough haha
Just FYI, Imperial and Lancaster also use a BMAT cutoff and are not holistic among BMAT unis
BSMS has had a higher BMAT cutoff than Imperial in recent years.
pepsiu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Just FYI, Imperial and Lancaster also use a BMAT cutoff and are not holistic among BMAT unis
BSMS has had a higher BMAT cutoff than Imperial in recent years
thanks for the corrections! 😊
m_bibi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! Anyone know the ucas code for bsms...particularly for the contextual entry.I'm just a bit unsure, want to confirm. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Butene
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m_bibi)
Hey! Anyone know the ucas code for bsms...particularly for the contextual entry.I'm just a bit unsure, want to confirm. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
It's B74 - course is still A100
themartinipolice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well this thread is quiet, just gonna pray that means not many people applying 😭
m_bibi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
Well this thread is quiet, just gonna pray that means not many people applying 😭
😆 🤣 exactly what I was thinking. Its sooo quite!
I'm a gap year and applied to ;
Kcl
Southhampton
Leeds
BSMS
What about you???
themartinipolice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
😆 🤣 exactly what I was thinking. Its sooo quite!
I'm a gap year and applied to ;
Kcl
Southhampton
Leeds
BSMS
What about you???
Probably will blow up a bit once the BMAT and interviews get underway I guess 😂

I'm applying to BSMS, Southampton, Plymouth and Liverpool. I wanted Leeds but I'm not brave enough for two BMAT choices haha.
m_bibi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
Probably will blow up a bit once the BMAT and interviews get underway I guess 😂

I'm applying to BSMS, Southampton, Plymouth and Liverpool. I wanted Leeds but I'm not brave enough for two BMAT choices haha.
Awww that's great! Good choices! Two of ours are the same 😊.
LFK4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi guys, Last years cut off point was 17.8 for BMAT. Does this mean that successful applicants achieved 6.5+ in section 1 and 2 and 4+ in section 3?? Its hard to believe as this cut-off is much higher compared to the other BMAT unis:confused:. Are points allocated in a different way or is it just naturally high?
m_bibi
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LFK4)
Hi guys, Last years cut off point was 17.8 for BMAT. Does this mean that successful applicants achieved 6.5+ in section 1 and 2 and 4+ in section 3?? Its hard to believe as this cut-off is much higher compared to the other BMAT unis:confused:. Are points allocated in a different way or is it just naturally high?
From what I know..on their website they outlined that you need to achieve a minimum of 3 in each sections....so I guess try and aim for a high 4 or 5 in section 1 and 2 and a high 4 in section 3, just to be safe. Hopefully it won't be that high this year because srsly a 17.8 score is way tooo high.😬
pepsiu
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LFK4)
From what I know..on their website they outlined that you need to achieve a minimum of 3 in each sections....so I guess try and aim for a high 4 or 5 in section 1 and 2 and a high 4 in section 3, just to be safe. Hopefully it won't be that high this year because srsly a 17.8 score is way tooo high.😬
I believe BSMS score the BMAT out of 28. 9 points for Section 1, 9 for Section 2. Then each part of section 3 (the letter grade and number grade) get a score out of 5. The maximum score of 9, 9, 5A would be 28. But of course nobody really gets this.

I think a score of like 5/6 in each section then a good essay is something to aim for. I suppose essay is the easiest marks, good English gets you an A which is 5 points. As long as the content is relatively good that should bag you at least another 3 or 4.
LFK4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by pepsiu)
I believe BSMS score the BMAT out of 28. 9 points for Section 1, 9 for Section 2. Then each part of section 3 (the letter grade and number grade) get a score out of 5. The maximum score of 9, 9, 5A would be 28. But of course nobody really gets this.

I think a score of like 5/6 in each section then a good essay is something to aim for. I suppose essay is the easiest marks, good English gets you an A which is 5 points. As long as the content is relatively good that should bag you at least another 3 or 4.
Ah so the letters in section 3 also gives points. That make a lot more sense but hopefully the cut off is a bit lower lol. Thanks for the help guys!
pepsiu
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LFK4)
Ah so the letters in section 3 also gives points. That make a lot more sense but hopefully the cut off is a bit lower lol. Thanks for the help guys!
yeah it confused me so much at first. But it takes a lot of pressure off actually. Eg in 2020 you only needed 14.7. You could score 4, 4, 3A and still get an interview. Obviously this year will be much harder but I can't imagine the cutoff going much higher than 18, if it goes up at all! So 6s should be good I would hope.
mdolphin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know when interviews are held for bsms medicine? And if we can change the date if we cannot make it?
JoshWalters
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 23 minutes ago
Hey everyone, Does anyone know whether Brighton and Sussex will contact you about contextual data or whether you need to email them?

Thanks
Butene
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 minutes ago
(Original post by JoshWalters)
Hey everyone, Does anyone know whether Brighton and Sussex will contact you about contextual data or whether you need to email them?

Thanks
They will send out an email soon to everyone asking them to send contextual data with the criteria if you have any to another email of theirs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (45)
13.24%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.35%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.65%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
32.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.82%

Watched Threads