epic08
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
how do you know cause it doesn't say on the email ?

(Original post by Butene)
You only need to reply if you are eligible.
ClarissaBella
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by epic08)
how do you know cause it doesn't say on the email ?
I phoned them. They confirmed that you only need to respond to the email if you are contextual; otherwise that email can be safely disregarded. However, it is always best to confirm for yourself to be confident, and never to rely on second-hand information in discussion groups such as these, however valuable they may be.
epic08
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ClarissaBella)
I phoned them. They confirmed that you only need to respond to the email if you are contextual; otherwise that email can be safely disregarded. However, it is always best to confirm for yourself to be confident, and never to rely on second-hand information in discussion groups such as these, however valuable they may be.
Ok thank you so much
will queens
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Any predictions whatsoever for the BMAT cutoff this year? All my practice is very borderline. Section 1 Is fairly strong I think, I'm getting mostly 6-7 in practice, 5 at the lowest.

Section 2 is nightmare material, but I'm still getting medium-high 4s.

I'm no good at gauging my essay quality but my English is good and I can't see any standout problems, so I'm banking on an A for that. Which gives me another 5 points. And we'll say my essays are bang average 3.

Which puts me in the region of 17. This is above almost all previous cutoffs except last year right? Damn 17.8.

Of course this could all go to hell and I could end up flopping in the real thing. How is everyone else's prep going? Only a few days until we can relax for a little bit. Feels like it's been non-stop since august, sat the UCAT in early September, then had to rush UCAS for school deadline, then mocks, then BMAT. Come 4th November I am taking a full week off everything haha.
Last edited by will queens; 1 month ago
username5160888
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by will queens)
Any predictions whatsoever for the BMAT cutoff this year? All my practice is very borderline. Section 1 Is fairly strong I think, I'm getting mostly 6-7 in practice, 5 at the lowest.

Section 2 is nightmare material, but I'm still getting medium-high 4s.

I'm no good at gauging my essay quality but my English is good and I can't see any standout problems, so I'm banking on an A for that. Which gives me another 5 points. And we'll say my essays are bang average 3.

Which puts me in the region of 17. This is above almost all previous cutoffs except last year right? Damn 17.8.

Of course this could all go to hell and I could end up flopping in the real thing. How is everyone else's prep going? Only a few days until we can relax for a little bit. Feels like it's been non-stop since august, sat the UCAT in early September, then had to rush UCAS for school deadline, then mocks, then BMAT. Come 4th November I am taking a full week off everything haha.
How do you revise for section 1?
will queens
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fruit09)
How do you revise for section 1?
Just did a lot of questions really. I also give myself less time, you have about 1 min 50 per question in section 1, but when I practice I only give myself a minute/ min and a half. So I started doing them a fair bit faster. Then when I went to normal timings, I could do it fine.

Also I personally find it a lot easier when I do a lot of working out. Even if it could be done in my head, sometimes I find it quicker to scribble it down and work through it.
ClarissaBella
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I wonder if anybody has more detail as to how BSMS score the Quality of English component of BMAT Section 3. BSMS score section 3 out of maximum of 5, and the three possible bands for this section are A, C and E, though to be offered an interview you must score at least 2C in Section 3. Presumably therefore you get 5 points for an A? But how many would they give for a C? (And presumably none for an E, since an E would disqualify you from BSMS anyway?)
Last edited by ClarissaBella; 4 weeks ago
Butene
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I wonder if anybody has more detail as to how BSMS score the Quality of English component of BMAT Section 3. BSMS score section 3 out of maximum of 5, and the three possible bands for this section are A, C and E, though to be offered an interview you must score at least 2C in Section 3. Presumably therefore you get 5 points for an A? But how many would they give for a C? (And presumably none for an E, since an E would disqualify you from BSMS anyway?)
I think it goes like this:
A = 5
B = 4
C = 3
D = 2
E = 1
Do correct me if I am wrong though and yeah if you are not contextual then anything below a C they will no longer consider you.
ClarissaBella
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it goes like this:
A = 5
B = 4
C = 3
D = 2
E = 1
Do correct me if I am wrong though and yeah if you are not contextual then anything below a C they will no longer consider you.
Thank you. I was thinking it was along these lines too, but what makes me uncertain is the fact that there is no B or D grade, but only the three possibilities of A, C or E, the latter of which I presume would be given 0. So if as is likely an A is awarded 5 points, what would they award a C? Perhaps 3 points, and they simply do not utilise the other available points? Or perhaps since they have the essays, they award a more nuanced score themselves rather than relying on the BMAT examiners? I can't find anything official online about how this works, and so wondered if anybody else had come across an explanation.
Butene
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you. I was thinking it was along these lines too, but what makes me uncertain is the fact that there is no B or D grade, but only the three possibilities of A, C or E, the latter of which I presume would be given 0. So if as is likely an A is awarded 5 points, what would they award a C? Perhaps 3 points, and they simply do not utilise the other available points? Or perhaps since they have the essays, they award a more nuanced score themselves rather than relying on the BMAT examiners? I can't find anything official online about how this works, and so wondered if anybody else had come across an explanation.
I'm really sorry but could you show me or tell me where/why there is no B or D grade? I've got no clue where you got this information from. They score your essay based on what letter you got awarded by the BMAT examiners and convert the score i.e. A = 5, the letters go from A to E so from 5 to 1.
ClarissaBella
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm really sorry but could you show me or tell me where/why there is no B or D grade? I've got no clue where you got this information from. They score your essay based on what letter you got awarded by the BMAT examiners and convert the score i.e. A = 5, the letters go from A to E so from 5 to 1.
Please see the following document, which mentions three grades: A, C, E.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/Im...g-criteria.pdf
Butene
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Please see the following document, which mentions three grades: A, C, E.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/Im...g-criteria.pdf
This just states what separates each grade each other, it still says it goes from a scale of A to E. Example of getting a B would be one marker giving you an A but the other giving you a C therefore it equates to a B.
ClarissaBella
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
This just states what separates each grade each other, it still says it goes from a scale of A to E. Example of getting a B would be one marker giving you an A but the other giving you a C therefore it equates to a B.
Thinking about this some more, and trying to understand, it occurs to me that Cambridge only cite grades A, C and E, and provide criteria for each of the three, so that examiners only have the option of awarding one of the three. If there is a split of A/C, then the candidate gets a B, but B is not an option that a BMAT examiner can initially choose. This is presumably designed to allow for averaging, so if one examiner awarded 5A and the other 4C then the candidate would end up with a 4.5B for section 3 of the BMAT, which would result in BSMS scoring them a total of 8.5 (4.5 + 4) for section 3.
Butene
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thinking about this some more, and trying to understand, it occurs to me that Cambridge only cite grades A, C and E, and provide criteria for each of the three, so that examiners only have the option of awarding one of the three. If there is a split of A/C, then the candidate gets a B, but B is not an option that a BMAT examiner can initially choose. This is presumably designed to allow for averaging, so if one examiner awarded 5A and the other 4C then the candidate would end up with a 4.5B for section 3 of the BMAT, which would result in BSMS scoring them a total of 8.5 (4.5 + 4) for section 3.
Yes, that is what I had said…
sx12333
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
When will interviews be handed out?
a.dsouza1_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sx12333)
When will interviews be handed out?
I think anytime after results day
will queens
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm just praying the cutoff isn't insane. I made the mistake of really researching the uni and Brighton and watching tiktoks etc and now I really want to go 😭, like significantly more than my other 3 choices.

But I feel like my bmat was awful. Although I am an awful judge of those things so idk, better not jinx it.
akaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi does anyone know when we start hearing back for interviews?
Prajuu1350
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by akaaa)
Hi does anyone know when we start hearing back for interviews?
On BSMS website it is mentioned ' Admissions interviews will take place in January 2022' not sure about interview invites though.
https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate...s-process.aspx
Last edited by Prajuu1350; 2 weeks ago
akaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Prajuu1350)
On BSMS website it is mentioned ' Admissions interviews will take place in January 2022' not sure about interview invites though.
https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate...s-process.aspx
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.75%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.08%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.53%
Finding the motivation (23)
24.73%
Getting distracted (14)
15.05%
Procrastination (37)
39.78%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.08%

Watched Threads