Nadia156
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This Year I'm applying for Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. My Higher grades are AAAAB and I'm a Widening Participant. My predicted grades for AH are AAB. I have done some virtual work experience due to COVID i couldn't do any 1 to 1 work expirience. I still have to do my UCAT but i think i will get 2700 and band 1. I speak 5 languages. Please anyone tell me what are my chances of having an offer?
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
1) A B2 would have messed things up last year. I know people with 3100+ UCAT and full marks on academics who were rejected pre interview.

2) We don't know that, and you may be right. Top decile started at 2930 for 2020 entry, but there were people with top 2900s UCAT rejected last year. Sometimes people are contextual without knowing it, so always take a single outlier with a pinch of salt. I think you will be OK, as there are a lot of people between even 3000 and 3090. But hopefully Edinburgh will release their deciles before the deadline, so people can get a bit more idea.

3) I know nothing about international applicants, sorry

4) Every year I have said there cannot be enough people with the sort of stats Edinburgh look for to keep application requirements/cut offs up at that sort of level, and every year there is, but I would have said yes, the recent high cut offs should, in theory, put people off applying and drop things down a bit.

What we don't know is whether this year is going to be the same! So depends how much people like Edinburgh and how much of a risk they are prepared to take.
Despite people complaining I am being unsupportive and negative, all I do is read the threads, FOIs, speak to Admissions, correlate the info and postulate on possible variables. I have no insider knowledge and all I do is state what I have seen happening. I leave it to an individual to confirm or discount my thoughts and decide for themselves where they wish to apply, as like you have done, doing individual research is important. I do not think it helps anybody to encourage them to apply to somewhere they are unlikely to meet requirements, unless they have no other option or are willingly accepting the risk. But I am not always right (in fact, my children would say I am frequently wrong) and this year, in particular, there are so many confounding factors, it is quite possible things will be entirely different to previous years.
:eek:

Well now I've got 10 more universities to filter through
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
:eek:

Well now I've got 10 more universities to filter through
WP makes a difference, but I do not know what adjustments they make (quite a lot, it seems as a casual observer)
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WP makes a difference, but I do not know what adjustments they make (quite a lot, it seems as a casual observer)
I still think it's risky, too risky. Especially this year
canberra456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!I am a RUK (Northern Irish) student wanting to apply for Medicine at Edinburgh 2022 entry. I have a UCAT of 3040 and band 1. I have 10 GCSEs, all grade 9. I got 4 As in my AS levels (Biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) and am predicted 3 A*s in A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths since I dropped Spanish after AS-level). I have no hands on clinical experience because of COVID, but I worked as a receptionist in a GP clinic and in a pharmacy, each for 3 days. I have completed multiple virtual work experiences and have good volunteering experience. I’m wondering if I have a good chance of getting an interview? I’m also wondering if the personal statement is read/heavily considered at Edinburgh? Thanks so much )
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by canberra456)
Hi!I am a RUK (Northern Irish) student wanting to apply for Medicine at Edinburgh 2022 entry. I have a UCAT of 3040 and band 1. I have 10 GCSEs, all grade 9. I got 4 As in my AS levels (Biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) and am predicted 3 A*s in A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths since I dropped Spanish after AS-level). I have no hands on clinical experience because of COVID, but I worked as a receptionist in a GP clinic and in a pharmacy, each for 3 days. I have completed multiple virtual work experiences and have good volunteering experience. I’m wondering if I have a good chance of getting an interview? I’m also wondering if the personal statement is read/heavily considered at Edinburgh? Thanks so much )
You should be fine, but if you are really unlucky with deciles, you may just drop out if the top one, which might be enough to miss an offer. Check if they release last year's before the UCAT deadline (and yes, I get how crazy it is to be typing this, but that is how it seemed to be last year!)
canberra456
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should be fine, but if you are really unlucky with deciles, you may just drop out if the top one, which might be enough to miss an offer. Check if they release last year's before the UCAT deadline (and yes, I get how crazy it is to be typing this, but that is how it seemed to be last year!)
Thanks so much! Hopefully the top decile is below 3000. Do you know if the personal statement is considered at Edinburgh for medicine?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by canberra456)
Thanks so much! Hopefully the top decile is below 3000. Do you know if the personal statement is considered at Edinburgh for medicine?
Not for shortlisting, They say it is used for interview, but wasn't for my son last year
https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...onal-statement
In fact, they even seem to have removed the bit saying that, this year
canberra456
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not for shortlisting, They say it is used for interview, but wasn't for my son last year
https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...onal-statement
In fact, they even seem to have removed the bit saying that, this year
I'll probably apply to Edinburgh then. Thanks so much for the help!!
Isaac2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, looking for some advice on whether to apply. Would really like to apply to Edinburgh, but worried Band 2 sets me back and I don't want to apply if it will be wasted.

Mr grades are:
GCSE's - 11 9's (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, religious studies, maths, English lang, English lit, latin, Spanish, French, history)
A levels predictions:
A* - biology
A* - chemistry
A* - maths
Received an A* in EPQ
UCAT score:
VR - 700
DM - 660
QR - 900
AR - 720
SJT - Band 2
Total 2980

Work experience:
- worked in vaccine centre administering vaccines
- completed BSMS online work experience

Thanks guys !!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Isaac2004)
Hey, looking for some advice on whether to apply. Would really like to apply to Edinburgh, but worried Band 2 sets me back and I don't want to apply if it will be wasted.

Mr grades are:
GCSE's - 11 9's (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, religious studies, maths, English lang, English lit, latin, Spanish, French, history)
A levels predictions:
A* - biology
A* - chemistry
A* - maths
Received an A* in EPQ
UCAT score:
VR - 700
DM - 660
QR - 900
AR - 720
SJT - Band 2
Total 2980

Work experience:
- worked in vaccine centre administering vaccines
- completed BSMS online work experience

Thanks guys !!
Unfortunately unless you’re Scottish it did seem like RUK candidates could not lose any marks at all last year so a B2 would lead to rejection.
Isaac2004
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Unfortunately unless you’re Scottish it did seem like RUK candidates could not lose any marks at all last year so a B2 would lead to rejection.
Really appreciate your help.

I was just wondering that, due to this year, the provisional results for UCAT are saying that only 16% of people got band 1 this year, compared to 35% last year, maybe with less people hitting the Band 1 I stand and outside chance and its worth the risk?

I am also applying to Glasgow, which seems safe as they don't count SJT

Thanks
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Really appreciate your help.

I was just wondering that, due to this year, the provisional results for UCAT are saying that only 16% of people got band 1 this year, compared to 35% last year, maybe with less people hitting the Band 1 I stand and outside chance and its worth the risk?

I am also applying to Glasgow, which seems safe as they don't count SJT

Thanks
Edinburgh only invite aroun 195 RUK applicants to interview, so even 16% of the projected nearly 37,000 who will sit UCAT is nearly 6,000 people with a B1. Unfortunately, it looked rather like your 2980 would not have been top UCAT decile last year, either, so that may also be an issue.
Every year, I say Edinburgh's ridiculously high stats are going to put people off applying, so they have to drop, yet every year, they continue to be ridiculous
Isaac2004
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Edinburgh only invite aroun 195 RUK applicants to interview, so even 16% of the projected nearly 37,000 who will sit UCAT is nearly 6,000 people with a B1. Unfortunately, it looked rather like your 2980 would not have been top UCAT decile last year, either, so that may also be an issue.
Every year, I say Edinburgh's ridiculously high stats are going to put people off applying, so they have to drop, yet every year, they continue to be ridiculous
Yes I completely understand your logic and I know you're right, but I still think I might end up applying as I'd rather the clarity of being rejected than not knowing. Anyway, my other options (Bristol, Glasgow, Birmingham) are pretty UCAT heavy so I should be Ok given the fact Edinburgh is v risky
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I completely understand your logic and I know you're right, but I still think I might end up applying as I'd rather the clarity of being rejected than not knowing. Anyway, my other options (Bristol, Glasgow, Birmingham) are pretty UCAT heavy so I should be Ok given the fact Edinburgh is v risky
Only you can decide how much you like Edinburgh!
If it is your dream place, it may be worth it, as somebody has to get an offer (and they have a FAB interivew to offer ratio if you do get there).
Good luck
Isaac2004
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Only you can decide how much you like Edinburgh!
If it is your dream place, it may be worth it, as somebody has to get an offer (and they have a FAB interivew to offer ratio if you do get there).
Good luck
Thanks!
Really appreciate the help
Cayman99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth applying to Edinburgh, or if the risk's too great. I'm a RUK non contextual student.

GCSEs - 10*9s and an 8
A Levels - predicted 4A*s (Maths, Further Maths, Bio & Chem)

UCAT - 3060 B2
VR - 650, DM - 880, QR - 760, AR - 770

And a pretty good resume of work experience if it even counts for anything

Sorry for the length of post
Any feedback will be much appreciated
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cayman99)
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth applying to Edinburgh, or if the risk's too great. I'm a RUK non contextual student.

GCSEs - 10*9s and an 8
A Levels - predicted 4A*s (Maths, Further Maths, Bio & Chem)

UCAT - 3060 B2
VR - 650, DM - 880, QR - 760, AR - 770

And a pretty good resume of work experience if it even counts for anything

Sorry for the length of post
Any feedback will be much appreciated
Have a read through the thread
Chironn
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is their usual cut off really that high??
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chironn)
Is their usual cut off really that high??
It is crazy. Just seems to have gone up year on year!
Have a read of last year's thread for the scores that were being rejected.
It is not so bad for Home applicants, but everyone else has to be well nigh perfect :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (313)
57.86%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.05%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (61)
11.28%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.32%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed