The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hello all.

I had previously posted in the mega thread

Edinburgh have confirmed that I am entitled to a 10% Ucat uplift, additional consideration in academic scores, guaranteed interview and an offer at AAB minimum entry requirements.

My stats are

GCSEs:

English Lit 9
English language 9
Biology 9
RE 9
Maths 8
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
Physics 8
Geography 8
History 8
Business 8

A level predictions: A* A A
In English Language Chem and Bio

UCAT:
2650. (2915 with uplift)
SJT: band 2

Based in England.

Would anybody have any thoughts. I know Edinburgh is really hard to get into but an interview is guaranteed as I meet their contextual requirements.

I have read the thread from last year and had a look at the statistics from the uni re interview/ offer ratio for contextual applicants which looks reasonable.

Any thoughts/ input if I should select Edinburgh would be welcome please

Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Claihb
Hello all.

I had previously posted in the mega thread

Edinburgh have confirmed that I am entitled to a 10% Ucat uplift, additional consideration in academic scores, guaranteed interview and an offer at AAB minimum entry requirements.

My stats are

GCSEs:

English Lit 9
English language 9
Biology 9
RE 9
Maths 8
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
Physics 8
Geography 8
History 8
Business 8

A level predictions: A* A A
In English Language Chem and Bio

UCAT:
2650. (2915 with uplift)
SJT: band 2

Based in England.

Would anybody have any thoughts. I know Edinburgh is really hard to get into but an interview is guaranteed as I meet their contextual requirements.

I have read the thread from last year and had a look at the statistics from the uni re interview/ offer ratio for contextual applicants which looks reasonable.

Any thoughts/ input if I should select Edinburgh would we welcome please?

Thank you.

Depends what they do with your scoring post interview, as they use it for 50% of score to decide re offers.
So if an RUK and you are just assessed against all the other RUK intrviewees, then your B2, likely not top decile UCAT (even augmented) and points lost for A levels would mean you would struggle if competing directly against those with perfect stats. But if they uplift your academic scores to full marks, you only have maybe 4 marks dropped, but it still may mean you miss an offer.
If you only have to compete against other contextuals, then it is possible they will have similar stats to yours, so may not be as big a deal.
Original post by GANFYD
Depends what they do with your scoring post interview, as they use it for 50% of score to decide re offers.
So if an RUK and you are just assessed against all the other RUK intrviewees, then your B2, likely not top decile UCAT (even augmented) and points lost for A levels would mean you would struggle if competing directly against those with perfect stats. But if they uplift your academic scores to full marks, you only have maybe 4 marks dropped, but it still may mean you miss an offer.
If you only have to compete against other contextuals, then it is possible they will have similar stats to yours, so may not be as big a deal.

I will clarify the scoring with Edinburgh on Monday.

It seems daft to apply if I am going to be considered in the same pool as RUK as I can’t compete with them.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. .
Reply 63
Original post by Claihb
I will clarify the scoring with Edinburgh on Monday.

It seems daft to apply if I am going to be considered in the same pool as RUK as I can’t compete with them.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. .

They may give WP consideration at interview, too, some places do, but it is important to know, as like you say, hard to compete with those with more marks than you before you even start!
Hi guys,
I’m a Scottish student and was wondering if Edinburgh is a suitable choice to apply to with 5As at higher and 2As and a B at advanced higher with UCAT score 2480 (620) band 2? No contextual flags apart from UCAT bursary. Thanks
Reply 65
Original post by Nadia156
This Year I'm applying for Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. My Higher grades are AAAAB and I'm a Widening Participant. My predicted grades for AH are AAB. I have done some virtual work experience due to COVID i couldn't do any 1 to 1 work expirience. I still have to do my UCAT but i think i will get 2700 and band 1. I speak 5 languages. Please anyone tell me what are my chances of having an offer?

Your stats are fine but I don't think you can predict your ucat until you do it. I'm a medical student elsewhere but I got an interview with 2770 b2 last year.
Reply 66
Worth applying? Scottish student

UCAT 2660
VR 630
DM 690
QR 670
AR 670
SJT 2
2:1 Open University Natural Sciences
School grades what would have allowed me to apply to medicine as a school leaver
Relevant work experience
Applying here, do I stand a chance? UK student

Contextual applicant:
POLAR 4 Quintile 1
Secondary school has low attainment 8
Parents on universal credit, UCAT bursary

A level achieved
Biology: A*
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*

UCAT: 2210 band 3

GCSE:
English Language: 4
English literature: 6
Combined science: 6-5
Maths: 6
Geography: 4
Business: 9
Sport: 7
Health and social care: U
Computing: 3

@GANFYD
(edited 2 years ago)
Looking at Edinburgh's admission statistics for 2021 and not much difference in the top two UCAT deciles this year. A RUK candidate for 2022 would need to score above 3013 for UCAT. International candidate would need to score 3079 for UCAT. A SJT Band 1 is preferable as chances of offer is 4 times better. Wow!
Reply 69
Hi

UCAT 2620 (No GCSEs - they will use my UCAT instead since I could take GCSEs due to the difference in the education system)
A level achieved A*A*A* from bio chem maths
International student

Is it an insane idea which almost guarantees a rejection to apply to Edinburgh for medicine? If I have a mere possibility I would go for it but if not, I'm thinking of applying to Dundee instead.
Hi, I got 6 8's and 4 7's at GCSE and I'm predicted A A A at A level. In my UCAT I got 1280 but I'm contextual. I was thinking of applying for medicine at Edinburgh. Do you think I have a chance?
Hello. So nervous about applications, like everyone, but second time round on a gap year I didn’t plan. 8 x 9 and 3 x 8 at GCSE, A*A*A* maths, bio, chemistry. Tons and tons of hospital volunteering and WEX at inner city hospital. UCAT 3080, band 1. No contextuals. Love Edinburgh, have lovely family and friends there, do I risk it?
Reply 72
Original post by DoctorWalter
Hello. So nervous about applications, like everyone, but second time round on a gap year I didn’t plan. 8 x 9 and 3 x 8 at GCSE, A*A*A* maths, bio, chemistry. Tons and tons of hospital volunteering and WEX at inner city hospital. UCAT 3080, band 1. No contextuals. Love Edinburgh, have lovely family and friends there, do I risk it?

I really cannot see they will have >200 people scoring better than you, so if you like it, go for it, but you can apply just about anywhere else and be "safer" in your choice!
Original post by DoctorWalter

And I’m a RUK applicant.
Hi there, RUK student here worrying about my chancesI got 3190 UCAT B23A* predictedall 9's and 2 8's at gcse thanks so much for ur helpcan I get in??
Reply 75
Original post by randommedstudent
Hi there, RUK student here worrying about my chancesI got 3190 UCAT B23A* predictedall 9's and 2 8's at gcse thanks so much for ur helpcan I get in??

Last year, a B2 SJT as an RUK would have been a dealbreaker, but there are far fewero them about this year, so you may be ok. You will have just about everywhere else as a safer option, though, so depends how much you like Edinburgh!
Just applied to Edinburgh kind of as a reach school because my UCAT is 2710 B2 as a Scottish applicant, 5 As at Higher, predicted AA at Advanced higher and AA at higher this year, anyone come across anyone with similar stats who got an interview offer last year? I know i have to look at last years thread but it's so long
Original post by MeredithGrey223
Hi, I got 6 8's and 4 7's at GCSE and I'm predicted A A A at A level. In my UCAT I got 1280 but I'm contextual. I was thinking of applying for medicine at Edinburgh. Do you think I have a chance?

Never apply here. The average UCAT last year was 2900 or higher for RUK, and 2800 or higher for home. With how this year is looking, it’s going to be even more competitive.

You wouldn’t want to waste an application. I’ve emailed them and yet they’re still saying that they don’t know the likelihood of competitiveness this year, which I think is being majorly dishonest.
(edited 2 years ago)
removed as posted twice by accident and don’t want to spam
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,
I qualify for a WP flag, but following a meeting with my curriculum advisor am a wee bit confused as to how I apply. They seem to think I need to fill out a separate form as at Newcastle Uni, however I can’t seem to see anything on the website. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it more like Nottingham where you’re automatically flagged due to postcode?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending