nerviodor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OmarHam3d)
I suppose it wouldn't be the safest of my options. Could you please tell me where else I should look at. thanks
I’ve know someone with similar stats to yours, have a look at: Plymouth, Exeter(if you meet the contextual criteria), KSMS and ARU maybe. Keele, Sunderland if you have enough experience for the roles and responsibilities form.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I suppose it wouldn't be the safest of my options. Could you please tell me where else I should look at. thanks
You’d need to post full stats here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...post&t=6679038
OmarHam3d
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
You’d need to post full stats here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...post&t=6679038
Bruh I have posted my stats on there multiple times and I keep on getting ignored
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bruh I have posted my stats on there multiple times and I keep on getting ignored
I am sorry to hear that; I think everyone had been quite busy over the past week or so with personal issues.
All I can say is that personally if I have the time to offer advice I will go through the past few pages there, not random other threads, and that you have time to read through the thread and do your own research as well if you’ve not been able to get advice. Posting with 4 schools in mind and all your stats makes it much quicker for us to help (as we can just say yes or no) as well.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have an hour - but like becausethenight says, I will be on the megathread.......
SatSubh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Volunteers, could you help me

I am an international students, considering HYMS as a shortlist. Would value your views

1. iGCSE: Advanced Mathematics - A*, Extended Mathematics - A*, Chemistry - A*, Biology - A*, Physics - A*, Computer Science - A*, French - A, Eng Literature - A and Eng Language - B
2. UCAT: 2600, SJT: Band 2

I am calculating the score based on the 2021 thread to be a total of 68 points.

1. GCSE Score = 30 points
2. UCAT = 28 points (based on 7th decile as per 2020 statistics)
3. SJT Band 2 = 10 points

I don't qualify for a contextual data,

1. Is my score calculation correct?
2. Do they add the 15 points to all international students or compare all the international applicants without contextual data score?
3. Do the cutoffs mentioned in FOI (F21_305 for international students in 2020-21 is 48 and F20_372 for all in 2018-19 is 55.33) include contextual score?
4. Do I stand a chance to get called for an interview at HYMS?
5. Are the chances better at HYMS compared to Aberdeen (2700 UCAT Average, but 60% (Academic) and 40% (UCAT)?

Sorry a lot of questions, any help rendered will be appreciated

Is this university a good shortlist and the chances of getting an interview call?
mia.mgeorge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 2630 and band 2 on my ucat and was wondering if this is enough to apply to this uni. I also got four 9s, four 8s and two 7s at gcse. Any successful applicants with a similar or lower score to me out there? Any volunteers with advice?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mia.mgeorge)
I got 2630 and band 2 on my ucat and was wondering if this is enough to apply to this uni. I also got four 9s, four 8s and two 7s at gcse. Any successful applicants with a similar or lower score to me out there? Any volunteers with advice?
Depends if your 7s are in core subjects?
I would have thought you should interview, but was not following the thread last year, and your B2 will be a slight disadvantage as it is used as 10% of post interview score.
Go through last year's thread and see what sort of scores got invited
mia.mgeorge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
I would have thought you should interview, but was not following the thread last year, and your B2 will be a slight disadvantage as it is used as 10% of post interview score.
Thanks for replying my two 7s were in english literature and english language, so a core subject . I looked at last year's thread I think and someone said the cut off score was 59.33 and my (rumoured) score is 53.75 so yh I don't think it's a safe choice. Also, I have posted my scores and stuff on the where should I apply thread and was wondering if you could give feedback on my options too. Ik your super busy, so if you're unable to I understand bc I read you're a doctor as well and that is rlly time consuming in itself lol. Thanks for all the help you've provided to all of us tho, we honestly couldn't do this without you
barksdale_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
M

(Original post by chillipeppa)
hey i was just wondering how you calculated your points because i can’t find anything on their website
Same here can't find anything!
barksdale_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Ey, nice to see you GANFYD! Would you be able to tell me how to calculate my score? I only found the maximum scores you can get from your GCSE's and UKCAT and all. Pretty please!
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think I should score full points for GCSE (unless they consider core subjects too), full points for contextual, high points for UCAT depending on what deciles they use (3100) but I scored a band 2. Would it be risky to apply?
SatSubh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
I think I should score full points for GCSE (unless they consider core subjects too), full points for contextual, high points for UCAT depending on what deciles they use (3100) but I scored a band 2. Would it be risky to apply?
I asked them about core subject, their response is as clear as mud
chris01928
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
GCSEs

Mathematics - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Computer Science - 8
Business - 7
History - 7
Physics - 7
English Language - 6
Religious Studies - 6
English Literature - 5
Spanish - 4

A-Levels (achieved)
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Maths - A*
EPQ(Medical Topic) - A*

UCAT (Emailed them to review score as my pen stopped working and the invigilator was just speaking to me while I was still doing the exam.)
VR - 550
DM - 690
QR - 760
AR - 660
SJT - 2
Overall 2660/2

Work Experience

Employed as a HCA in a nursing and rehab home
2 days of Work experience in A&E and theatre
Institute of Developmental Sciences Annual event 2019
Young Leader at Scouts
CAFOD Volunteer
Coachbright
Stonehouse REsidential
Medicine Taster day at Southampton 2020
ObserveGP and BSMS
Post Mortum Live
Currently a CAB volunteer since the first lockdown

Widening Participation

First in Family
Caring Responsibilities for an Epileptic Single Mother
POLAR 4 Quintile 2
Low-income

Because of Band 2 and poor GCSEs', is there any point applying to HYMS?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SatSubh)
I asked them about core subject, their response is as clear as mud
Love that 😍 I'll assume its top 6 subjects
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chris01928)
GCSEs

Mathematics - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Computer Science - 8
Business - 7
History - 7
Physics - 7
English Language - 6
Religious Studies - 6
English Literature - 5
Spanish - 4

A-Levels (achieved)
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Maths - A*
EPQ(Medical Topic) - A*

UCAT (Emailed them to review score as my pen stopped working and the invigilator was just speaking to me while I was still doing the exam.)
VR - 550
DM - 690
QR - 760
AR - 660
SJT - 2
Overall 2660/2

Work Experience

Employed as a HCA in a nursing and rehab home
2 days of Work experience in A&E and theatre
Institute of Developmental Sciences Annual event 2019
Young Leader at Scouts
CAFOD Volunteer
Coachbright
Stonehouse REsidential
Medicine Taster day at Southampton 2020
ObserveGP and BSMS
Post Mortum Live
Currently a CAB volunteer since the first lockdown

Widening Participation

First in Family
Caring Responsibilities for an Epileptic Single Mother
POLAR 4 Quintile 2
Low-income

Because of Band 2 and poor GCSEs', is there any point applying to HYMS?
I've seen someone last year on the thread with a band 2 and similar gcses and they got an offer. I don't think a band 2 will disadvantage you too much. Do you get their contextual points? I'm thinking of applying with a band 2 as well
hamzih.ata
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Should I apply to HYMS?

A Levels (Achieved and Predicted)
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A
Biology- A (predicted)

GCSEs
Maths - 8
Double Science - 8:8
RS - 7
English Language and Lit - 6, 6
Geo - 6
History - 6
German - 6

UCAT - 2490 Band 1
prab123889
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello undergrad here just did my UCAT today. Just wondering which unis I can apply to and which ones I'm most likely to get into!

A-Levels (achieved)- bio chem and maths: A*A*A*
GCSE- 9887666654 (these include 6s in English and 8 in maths. bio-7 chem-8 and physics-9

UCAT: 2800
VR- 570
DM- 670
QR- 760
AR- 800
SJT- Band 2

Applied for Plymouth, hull, kent, and Liverpool last year. only got an interview at Plymouth and the score was only 5 points off the cut-off ://

Work experience- worked in Sainsbury's for a year lol and going to shadow in a hospital with physios, consultants, surgeons, pharmacists for a week starting tomorrow. also going to work in the NHS as a nursing assistant for a year throughout my gap year. going to volunteer for the NHS also. also volunteered at a care home for 3 days. and done bsms virtual work experience and observe gp virtual work experience

Will I be able to get in for hull?
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
Honestly your stats are so good, why go into the interview with a disadvantage, even slight!
Have you looked at unis which favour achieved a levels, wouldn’t you be guaranteed an interview at Leicestershire ?
Miss you S! x
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Honestly your stats are so good, why go into the interview with a disadvantage, even slight!
Have you looked at unis which favour achieved a levels, wouldn’t you be guaranteed an interview at Leicestershire ?
Miss you S! x
Youre right. I have looked at Leicester but I dont really like the uni itself that much 😭
I miss you too! Hope you're doing well :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (75)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.74%

Watched Threads