Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
Youre right. I have looked at Leicester but I dont really like the uni itself that much 😭
I miss you too! Hope you're doing well :hugs:
Ah fair enough! Your UCAT is so high again, again ik they look at it after interviews as well. (That’s what put me off lmao)
I’m good, Advice repeated to me many times by ppl on the old blog (especially you and agashii lmao) means I’m applying very strategically especially bc my UCAT was lower then I wanted. But probably going to apply to ARU, Lincoln, Plymouth and I’m choosing a 4th, I have a couple like Cardiff, QUB (but it’s quite far) maybe Aston or ARU but ik ARU use UCAT post interview which again puts me off. I’m still researching
Where are you thinking off?
And yes HYMS looks very nice, it’s in there with the shortlisting for my 4th but not sure yet.
(Felt like I had to add something in about HYMS to not take the thread completely off topic 😂)
Hope you’re good too! Good luck for whole application process <3
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Ah fair enough! Your UCAT is so high again, again ik they look at it after interviews as well. (That’s what put me off lmao)
I’m good, Advice repeated to me many times by ppl on the old blog (especially you and agashii lmao) means I’m applying very strategically especially bc my UCAT was lower then I wanted. But probably going to apply to ARU, Lincoln, Plymouth and I’m choosing a 4th, I have a couple like Cardiff, QUB (but it’s quite far) maybe Aston or ARU but ik ARU use UCAT post interview which again puts me off. I’m still researching
Where are you thinking off?
And yes HYMS looks very nice, it’s in there with the shortlisting for my 4th but not sure yet.
(Felt like I had to add something in about HYMS to not take the thread completely off topic 😂)
Hope you’re good too! Good luck for whole application process <3
Ahhh I was considering ARU as well, I'm pretty certain on Aston and UEA, still deciding my 4th It's between ARU, HYMS, Newcastle and any of the London UCAT unis. I'm glad you're taking our advice! Wishing you all the best with your application this year!
PearsePorridge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
I have achieved a levels of A*,A*A* in chem, bio and psychology
GCSEs 9,9,8,8,8,8,8,7,7,7
Ucat 2670 band 1 sjt
Do you think I have a chance applying to hull York?
Thanks in advance …
Last edited by PearsePorridge; 3 weeks ago
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PearsePorridge)
Hi
I have achieved a levels of A*,A*A* in chem, bio and psychology
GCSEs 9,9,8,8,8,8,8,7,7,7
Ucat 6700 band 1 sjt
Do you think I have a chance applying to hull York?
Thanks in advance …
6700 UCAT is insane :eek:

If you meant 670 average, I think you'd have a pretty good chance. You'd get full marks for GCSE, full marks for SJT, I'm not sure if you're contextual or not, and you should score highly in terms of UCAT points
PearsePorridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
6700 UCAT is insane :eek:

If you meant 670 average, I think you'd have a pretty good chance. You'd get full marks for GCSE, full marks for SJT, I'm not sure if you're contextual or not, and you should score highly in terms of UCAT points
Just edited it - thank you ! 😩
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PearsePorridge)
Just edited it - thank you ! 😩
You should stalk the offer thread and see what stats people typically had last year, I think you should be fine though. Do you get their contextual points?
PearsePorridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You should stalk the offer thread and see what stats people typically had last year, I think you should be fine though. Do you get their contextual points?
Thanks so much - will do ,no contextual points tho
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ahhh I was considering ARU as well, I'm pretty certain on Aston and UEA, still deciding my 4th It's between ARU, HYMS, Newcastle and any of the London UCAT unis. I'm glad you're taking our advice! Wishing you all the best with your application this year!
Not UCAT heavy ones like Bristol? Tbh you’re guaranteed anywhere. They’ll be lucky to have you, Hopefully I’ll see you round the offer threads! X
ax_lx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi does anyone what the criteria is for contextual points and also how to calculate the score to get an interview.
i really appreciate the help ☺
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ax_lx)
hi does anyone what the criteria is for contextual points and also how to calculate the score to get an interview.
i really appreciate the help ☺
https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...tion-procedure

Selection procedure is here.

An additional 15 points will be awarded to candidates who meet at least two of the following criteria:

Candidate’s home postcode is in an area of low participation (POLAR quintile 1 or 2)
No parental experience of higher education
Candidate is in receipt of the UCAT Bursary
e-m-m
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I calculate my HYMS as 69 - is this too low??
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by e-m-m)
I calculate my HYMS as 69 - is this too low??
Best way to tell is looking back at last year's thread and seeing what stats people with interviews or offers typically had
Rob8123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i think my calc is about 73, based on this i took from 2021 thread:

• GCSE's are 30 points- 9/8 grade = 5 points, 7 = 4, 6 = 3 etc for "based upon the best six achieved grades at GCSE "
  • UCAT- 40 points- top decile gives you 40 points, each decile down takes away 4 points, so if you're in the 9th decile you get 40, 8th = 36, 7th = 32 etc
  • SJT- 15 points- Band 1 gives 15 points, Band 2 = 10, Band 3 = 5
  • Contextual- 15 points if you qualify

i have 7 A* so i score the max 30
i think my Ucat score of 2690 will give me 28 points..i think!
STJ Band 1 = 15
No Contextual = 0

So thats 73/100, right.
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rob8123)
i think my calc is about 73, based on this i took from 2021 thread:

• GCSE's are 30 points- 9/8 grade = 5 points, 7 = 4, 6 = 3 etc for "based upon the best six achieved grades at GCSE "
  • UCAT- 40 points- top decile gives you 40 points, each decile down takes away 4 points, so if you're in the 9th decile you get 40, 8th = 36, 7th = 32 etc
  • SJT- 15 points- Band 1 gives 15 points, Band 2 = 10, Band 3 = 5
  • Contextual- 15 points if you qualify

i have 7 A* so i score the max 30
i think my Ucat score of 2690 will give me 28 points..i think!
STJ Band 1 = 15
No Contextual = 0

So thats 73/100, right.
I think that's correct yes
Funnyjam3728
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey,

I think Hull-York could be a sensible option for me. However, the band 2 could put my score down post-interview?
Here are my scores:
GCSE's 9999997776- 30/30 points. Am i right in thinking they use the best GCSE's not core subjects?
UCAT score 2710 = 32/40 points or 28/40?
SJT B2=10/15
Contextual= 15/15

The total score comes to 87/100 or 83/100? ( depending on my UCAT points).
I know i get the points for contextual post interview but i have also got B2 in SJT? Is it safe or risky to apply? I'm worried my SJT score could have a negative impact.
Anyway, thanks very much for reading my post and any help would be hugely appreciated.
Cheahr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that's correct yes
Mind me to ask about the decile , it has been discussed heavily in another mega thread when we looked at the interim that day.
So for 9th decile, they scored 40/40 in HYmS.
How about those over the 9th decile like 3000+ ?
Am I confused with the decile again now?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cheahr)
Mind me to ask about the decile , it has been discussed heavily in another mega thread when we looked at the interim that day.
So for 9th decile, they scored 40/40 in HYmS.
How about those over the 9th decile like 3000+ ?
Am I confused with the decile again now?
If you get over 3000 you'd still get 40 points. You don't get any additional points unfortunately. Imagine if we did
Cheahr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you get over 3000 you'd still get 40 points. You don't get any additional points unfortunately. Imagine if we did
Alright.

Thank you.
My ucat is 2740 and so is 8th or 7th decile?
32/40 or 28/40?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cheahr)
Alright.

Thank you.
My ucat is 2740 and so is 8th or 7th decile?
32/40 or 28/40?
It's 7th decile but this could change when final UCAT scores are released!
Cheahr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's 7th decile but this could change when final UCAT scores are released!
Thank you. Hope so mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (47)
13.51%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.72%
I'm a bit unsure (61)
17.53%
I'm finding things difficult (117)
33.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.62%

Watched Threads