CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by radiantpromise)
Sorry! I meant to write HYMS. I’m applying to both and am asking about both in respective threads!
I can't see any mention of them not allowing reapplicsnts. Perhaps call them so you can get an answer sooner?
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
I saw someone say ~69 so I'm not too sure.
Oh okay ty x
saz987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i think it was 54 2 years ago and last year it was around 59?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by saz987)
i think it was 54 2 years ago and last year it was around 59?
I'll go through last year's thread and try work it out
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I looked for about 5 minutes and I give up, I'll try calling them and see what they say

EDIT: Gotta email them instead 🙃
Last edited by CoochieMan; 2 weeks ago
chris01928
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do I have to let HYMS know that I am contextual?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol they responded and gave absolutely nothing 😀

Thank you for your email and interest in Hull York Medical School.

Our application cycles are independent to each other, therefore knowing this information would highly unlikely provide any guidance regarding the current application cycle. This is because this data is influenced by multiple factors that can vary year to year.

Kind regards,
Rara345
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol they responded and gave absolutely nothing 😀

Thank you for your email and interest in Hull York Medical School.

Our application cycles are independent to each other, therefore knowing this information would highly unlikely provide any guidance regarding the current application cycle. This is because this data is influenced by multiple factors that can vary year to year.

Kind regards,
Ughhh I actually hate the lack of transparency I don’t wasn’t to waste my application!! 😭
Thanks anyways x
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Ughhh I actually hate the lack of transparency I don’t wasn’t to waste my application!! 😭
Thanks anyways x
I sent a follow up email saying I know it won't help but I still want to know so let's see if they respond
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I sent a follow up email saying I know it won't help but I still want to know so let's see if they respond
Omg, I’ve created a monster! 😂😂 Well done!
It is data and they should give you data. Hard to even claim commercial exemption when they have told you it won’t help!!
li2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by username3978178)
So I applied to HYMS Medicine with a Gateway Year. Before applying, I looked at last years interims for UCAT and calculated my score as 56.75. But the interims I looked at now and it seems like if these stay the way they are I’ll only have 52.75 so I am really scared that I will not be able to secure an interview. I checked online and they said previous years cut off was 54. something and now I’m really stressing. What do you guys think about the interim scores this year?
hey i saw that you got an offer and your ucat grade is literally the same as mine but could u please let me know what your band was as i'm thinking of applying?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Omg, I’ve created a monster! 😂😂 Well done!
It is data and they should give you data. Hard to even claim commercial exemption when they have told you it won’t help!!
Theyre so annoying and secretive and i don't understand why. I just got this email from them:

Dear Seraphina,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Hull York Medical School.

We understand your anxiety relating to previous scores, but please bear in mind that we use your scores as a ranking tool, not as a hard cut point. We will only ever compare you to the other applicants applying to the same programme as you, in the same year as you. As we do not yet know what profiles other applicants applying to us will have (and will not know this until after we have received all of the applications and all of the data from UCAT) we are wary of giving you information that may prove deeply misleading.

You may find this video helpful in explaining the process further: https://youtu.be/PGnHVIAguEM

We are aware that this is a hot topic of discussion every year, and that there are a lot of false rumours circulating regarding how we score applications, but please be assured that we use the same data points all applicants have to create a fair ranking comparison. We then order all applications numerically and invite applicants to interview in order of ranking until all of our interview slots are filled.

There is no pre-set cut point, and we do not know what the lowest score for an applicant invited to interview will be until after we have filled all of our interview slots.

If you have any further questions, it is not too late to sign up to attend our Hull based Open Day on Saturday, where my colleagues will be happy to answer any questions you might have. https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s...t-us/open-days

You will also receive access to pre-recorded talks, including my own talk explaining how our selection process works.

Kind regards,

??? Okay that didn't answer my question. I'm asking for a number 😭
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Theyre so annoying and secretive and i don't understand why. I just got this email from them:

Dear Seraphina,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Hull York Medical School.

We understand your anxiety relating to previous scores, but please bear in mind that we use your scores as a ranking tool, not as a hard cut point. We will only ever compare you to the other applicants applying to the same programme as you, in the same year as you. As we do not yet know what profiles other applicants applying to us will have (and will not know this until after we have received all of the applications and all of the data from UCAT) we are wary of giving you information that may prove deeply misleading.

You may find this video helpful in explaining the process further: https://youtu.be/PGnHVIAguEM

We are aware that this is a hot topic of discussion every year, and that there are a lot of false rumours circulating regarding how we score applications, but please be assured that we use the same data points all applicants have to create a fair ranking comparison. We then order all applications numerically and invite applicants to interview in order of ranking until all of our interview slots are filled.

There is no pre-set cut point, and we do not know what the lowest score for an applicant invited to interview will be until after we have filled all of our interview slots.

If you have any further questions, it is not too late to sign up to attend our Hull based Open Day on Saturday, where my colleagues will be happy to answer any questions you might have. https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s...t-us/open-days

You will also receive access to pre-recorded talks, including my own talk explaining how our selection process works.

Kind regards,

??? Okay that didn't answer my question. I'm asking for a number 😭
This is...quite impressively unhelpful and a bit patronising :lol:
Very impressed at your perseverence though
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
This is...quite impressively unhelpful and a bit patronising :lol:
Very impressed at your perseverence though
I don't understand. Why are they so secretive about this stuff? What do they expect us to do with it? Are they worried it'll deter people from applying or something? It's so annoying
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I don't understand. Why are they so secretive about this stuff? What do they expect us to do with it? Are they worried it'll deter people from applying or something? It's so annoying
I really don't know? Plenty of schools are really transparent and do fine, I think they just can't be bothered and also want to ensure people apply who'll get rejected so they don't have to raise cutoffs too high, to be totally blunt.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It makes them feel clever and important. Whereas the really clever and important people (and I am looking at Julian at Sheffield here as a shining beacon) realise being up front and honest, and respecting their potential applicants enough not to waste their time, is what is really clever and important!
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It makes them feel clever and important. Whereas the really clever and important people (and I am looking at Julian at Sheffield here as a shining beacon) realise being up front and honest, and respecting their potential applicants enough not to waste their time, is what is really clever and important!
Same with Bilal from Aston! Didn't know much of the post interview selection procedure until receiving his email
JoshWalters
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey GANFYD when you are free could you please look at my PM
Rara345
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I score myself at 73 points with final deciles. Going to go for it, I’m hoping the number of people they interview will go back to more normal levels (as I believe last year it was less therefore cutoff was increased.)
Don’t want to wonder ‘what if’ and band 1 will give me advantage going into the interview… provided I get one 🤞🤞🤞
Gl to everyone else!
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rara345)
I score myself at 73 points with final deciles. Going to go for it, I’m hoping the number of people they interview will go back to more normal levels (as I believe last year it was less therefore cutoff was increased.)
Don’t want to wonder ‘what if’ and band 1 will give me advantage going into the interview… provided I get one 🤞🤞🤞
Gl to everyone else!
Good luck :hugs: I'm sure you'll get an interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (47)
13.39%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.5%
I'm a bit unsure (62)
17.66%
I'm finding things difficult (119)
33.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.55%

Watched Threads