Sophi2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by defdefdef)
My daughter has 2700 UCAT and STJ Band 3. She meets all required GCSE minimal requirements for UAE and Southampton. Can anyone shed any light on why she might choose one over the other - both being risky. (Southampton cutoff being 2680 last year.) Thanks for any help.GANFYD
*I'm not GANYFED but have a similar UCAT score *

If I was your daughter I'd probably go with Southampton over UEA. Southhampotn don't look at SJT (I think - do double check this to see if it's changed)! whereas UEA gives some weighting to students with band 1 /2 post interview
Last edited by Sophi2002; 2 weeks ago
defdefdef
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sophi2002)
*I'm not GANYFED but have a similar UCAT score *

If I was your daughter I'd probably go with Southampton over UEA. Southhampotn don't look at SJT (I think - do double check this to see if it's changed)! whereas UEA gives some weighting to students with band 1 /2 post interview
Thanks Sophi2002! It's hard to assess UEA without understanding exactly how much weighting they give the STJ. Close shave with Southampton cutoff last year though :-))
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My daughter has 2700 UCAT and STJ Band 3. She meets all required GCSE minimal requirements for UAE and Southampton. Can anyone shed any light on why she might choose one over the other - both being risky. (Southampton cutoff being 2680 last year.) Thanks for any help.GANFYD
She is further over UEA's cut off from last year than Southampton's, and historically, UEA have alower UCAT requiremetns than Southampton
defdefdef
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
She is further over UEA's cut off from last year than Southampton's, and historically, UEA have alower UCAT requiremetns than Southampton
Thanks GANFYD. Really niche question here - but do they accept deferred entry? Most places do except ARU according to our research. She is keen to defer. Is there anything else we're missing? I understand GCSEs are minimum requirement. Internal deadline is six - this is a last minute change of mind but we don't want to waste that fourth choice. Southampton seems less likely due to cut off last year being only 20 point below herUCAT of 2700 Band 3 . We thought we had made our decisions ;-)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks GANFYD. Really niche question here - but do they accept deferred entry? Most places do except ARU according to our research. She is keen to defer. Is there anything else we're missing? I understand GCSEs are minimum requirement. Internal deadline is six - this is a last minute change of mind but we don't want to waste that fourth choice. Southampton seems less likely due to cut off last year being only 20 point below herUCAT of 2700 Band 3 . We thought we had made our decisions ;-)
I amnot aware that they don't accept deferrals, most places will consider them.
The B3 drops a few points at interview, as they use it as a virtual MMI station, I think, but also add UCAT as 50% of interview score, and if cut off is similar to last year, she will be above quite a lot of other people!

Do also remember that there are a lot of people between 2680 and 2700 for Southampton! But I suspect the "2nd tier" of scores needed for UCAT unis (usually eg Sheffield, Manchester, SGUL, Soton) will go up a bit this year, as people will be put off applying to those needing highest scores
defdefdef
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
I amnot aware that they don't accept deferrals, most places will consider them.
The B3 drops a few points at interview, as they use it as a virtual MMI station, I think, but also add UCAT as 50% of interview score, and if cut off is similar to last year, she will be above quite a lot of other people!

Do also remember that there are a lot of people between 2680 and 2700 for Southampton! But I suspect the "2nd tier" of scores needed for UCAT unis (usually eg Sheffield, Manchester, SGUL, Soton) will go up a bit this year, as people will be put off applying to those needing highest scores
Thank you !! I think I'm being stupid. Do you mean that Southampton isn't completely a lost cause if we are 20 points ahead albeit there is no way to predict how many tier one students may apply this year.
defdefdef
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We've submitted. Thank you so much GANFYD and everyone. You have been by far the most useful source of information in this process.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you !! I think I'm being stupid. Do you mean that Southampton isn't completely a lost cause if we are 20 points ahead albeit there is no way to predict how many tier one students may apply this year.
I mean I think a lot of people will be put off applying to the likes of Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow with UCATs of 2750 to 2850, so they are likely to look at Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester, SGUL, etc, likely pushing their cut offs up, but how much is impossible to say, and each percentile of UCAT scores is 360 people (roughly), so probably the equivalent of around 750 people last year between 2680 and 2700. Depends how many more you think will apply....?

I personally think it may be OK, but will be risky, so would avoid it
defdefdef
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks so much! We're going to be super optimistic and start preping for interviews asap :-)))) Thanks again GANFYD
MedMom
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
What are chances of getting interview in UAE?

UCAT 2740, Band 2
VR 630
DM 640
QR 730
AR 740

Predicted A levels AAA

EPQ - B

GCSE - GCSE - Eng 6, Eng Lit 8, MAths 8, Bio 8, Phy 9, Chem 8,Geo 7, Hist 7, German 9 , French 9

Work Exp - 2 online courses, Few weeks of Covid vaccination centre, few weeks at Thames Hospice shop

Home student, not in the Region to qualify for local advantage. No WP .
TheMaskedMedic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MedMom)
Hi,
What are chances of getting interview in UAE?

UCAT 2740, Band 2
VR 630
DM 640
QR 730
AR 740

Predicted A levels AAA

EPQ - B

GCSE - GCSE - Eng 6, Eng Lit 8, MAths 8, Bio 8, Phy 9, Chem 8,Geo 7, Hist 7, German 9 , French 9

Work Exp - 2 online courses, Few weeks of Covid vaccination centre, few weeks at Thames Hospice shop

Home student, not in the Region to qualify for local advantage. No WP .
Hi MedMom,

I'm not an official TSR helper but from what I've seen from watching this thread and similar ones you should be fine with those stats! (Assuming you meet the GCSE requirements on their website, I'm afraid I only know more about the UCAT side of things, but I don't see how you couldn't meet them anyway! )

PS. What's the region for local advantage for UEA please, and how do they use it? Isn't it just standard WP? That's the first I've heard of one and hadn't seen it mentioned on their website yet?
Hemuli
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
@defdefdef I can see that you have already submitted your application, but just wanted to say that my son applied with deferred entry and all the offers he received were for a year later. One of these was UEA.
Jtat2708
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there I just would like to ask what you guys think I should apply to as I’m stuck for my last choice of Bristol or UEA

Ucat:
3080 band 1

Gcses
9:1
8:3
7:4
6:1

Am I right in thinking UEA weigh heavily on ucat post interview?

This would be my super backup choice so any help would be great!
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jtat2708)
Hi there I just would like to ask what you guys think I should apply to as I’m stuck for my last choice of Bristol or UEA

Ucat:
3080 band 1

Gcses
9:1
8:3
7:4
6:1

Am I right in thinking UEA weigh heavily on ucat post interview?

This would be my super backup choice so any help would be great!
If you're looking for a backup choice, choose UEA over Bristol. UEA uses UCAT 50% post interview and SJT is incorporated into your interview score. You'd be fine with either with your stats though! UEA is the safer bet
Last edited by CoochieMan; 1 week ago
_._amina
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi, I'm stuck for my last choice, and it's between uea and st andrews. I would assume uea would be the better option, as they use the ucat after the interview (my ucat is in the 95th percentile), but i just wanted to know if i've got any other options ie does any other uni use ucat after the interview.
Eggyeg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _._amina)
hi, I'm stuck for my last choice, and it's between uea and st andrews. I would assume uea would be the better option, as they use the ucat after the interview (my ucat is in the 95th percentile), but i just wanted to know if i've got any other options ie does any other uni use ucat after the interview.
Might be wrong but I think Dundee uses UCAT for 25% post interview score.
smellie24
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi guys i got 2540 and band 2 in my ucat with A*AA predicted a levels is this enough for me to apply to uea?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by smellie24)
hi guys i got 2540 and band 2 in my ucat with A*AA predicted a levels is this enough for me to apply to uea?
Cut off seemed to be about 2640 last year, but was lower than that in previous years, so depends if you think it is going to be less competitive this year?
_._amina
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eggyeg)
thanks for your help, I’ll look into Dundee as well
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eggyeg)
Dundee just use interview score to decide about offers (but Aberdeen use pre-interview scoring for 50% of post interview ranking and Aston use theirs as 75%)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (47)
13.51%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.72%
I'm a bit unsure (61)
17.53%
I'm finding things difficult (117)
33.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.62%

Watched Threads