The Student Room Group

University of Plymouth A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaghayegh.sk
Hi
does anyone know what ucat score was required for international students last year?

This is what their website says:
If you are an international applicant, you need to meet the equivalent admissions criteria described for home students, including the UCAT.
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery/entry-requirements
Reply 181
when do the interview offers get made?
@GANFYD, would love your thoughts on any of the following. I understand that Plymouth have received 2495 applications for 2022 entry, which is a huge increase, in the region of 1000. They are unlikely to apply the A* rule of last year; they are likely to use a straight UCAT cut off (not yet determined). They will send out interview invites late this month or early next.
Hi @ClarissaBella how do you know there are 2495 applicants???
Original post by MAY2222222
Hi @ClarissaBella how do you know there are 2495 applicants???

I phoned their admissions office.
Original post by ClarissaBella

what was it last year
Original post by taxonomy.
what was it last year

Plymouth provide a great deal of information about their admission statistics on their website. You will find the information here, under the Frequently Asked Questions tab:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery/entry-requirements
(edited 2 years ago)

Did you ask how many Medicine a100 applicants there were because that number could be misleading as it could be all the applicants who applied to any medical related course as the website has it at 1892 for 2021
Original post by Brodi10
Did you ask how many Medicine a100 applicants there were because that number could be misleading as it could be all the applicants who applied to any medical related course as the website has it at 1892 for 2021

yeah i doubt it rose to 2495 :s-smilie: if so im screwed
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by future_11
yeah i doubt it rose to 2495 :s-smilie: if so im screwed

samee :frown:
@GANFYD, would love your thoughts on any of the following. I understand that Plymouth have received 2495 applications for 2022 entry, which is a huge increase, in the region of 1000. They are unlikely to apply the A* rule of last year; they are likely to use a straight UCAT cut off (not yet determined). They will send out interview invites late this month or early next.

Wow that's a lot!
Wow
Has anyone received any interview reply?

It doesn't surprise me that they have had a lot more applicants. Applicant numbers in general have gone up, and on the face of it, Plymouth seemed to have about the lowest UCAT cut off last year - though obviously they used an A* A level requirement to cut their numbers down instead, but I suspect most people do not realise that, nor that if they do not do it again, it means cut offs are likely to go up quite a bit this year.
Many other med schools' requirements from last year look scary - Bristol needed 2830 UCAT, Exeter A*A*A* and 3040, Southampton 2680, Imperial very high BMAT, etc, etc so if you want to stay in the South/South East, and do not have high Admissions Tests, you are looking at Plymouth, ARU, KMMS, so this is where people will apply.
Edge Hill have had their cut off go from 2450 (2020 entry) to 2500 (2021 entry) to 2620 this year, apparently, although they have far fewer places. Plymouth's cut off will heavily depend on how many they interview, which is influenced by how many deferrals they have from last year, the fact that the Government have already said grades will stay inflated for 2022, but not as much as for 2021, and that med school have been told they will be in trouble if they end up with more students than their quota, meaning they are likely to make far fewer offers than would historically be the case and may well, therefore, interview far fewer people. They interviewed 162 less last year - who knows how much lower that number may go? More applicants and fewer interviews will mean higher cut offs, be that academic, UCAT, or a combination of the two.
Original post by GANFYD
It doesn't surprise me that they have had a lot more applicants. Applicant numbers in general have gone up, and on the face of it, Plymouth seemed to have about the lowest UCAT cut off last year - though obviously they used an A* A level requirement to cut their numbers down instead, but I suspect most people do not realise that, nor that if they do not do it again, it means cut offs are likely to go up quite a bit this year.
Many other med schools' requirements from last year look scary - Bristol needed 2830 UCAT, Exeter A*A*A* and 3040, Southampton 2680, Imperial very high BMAT, etc, etc so if you want to stay in the South/South East, and do not have high Admissions Tests, you are looking at Plymouth, ARU, KMMS, so this is where people will apply.
Edge Hill have had their cut off go from 2450 (2020 entry) to 2500 (2021 entry) to 2620 this year, apparently, although they have far fewer places. Plymouth's cut off will heavily depend on how many they interview, which is influenced by how many deferrals they have from last year, the fact that the Government have already said grades will stay inflated for 2022, but not as much as for 2021, and that med school have been told they will be in trouble if they end up with more students than their quota, meaning they are likely to make far fewer offers than would historically be the case and may well, therefore, interview far fewer people. They interviewed 162 less last year - who knows how much lower that number may go? More applicants and fewer interviews will mean higher cut offs, be that academic, UCAT, or a combination of the two.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, which of course make perfect sense. Plymouth's cut off was 2400 last year. How much it will go up this year - and it seems inevitable in this context that it will rise considerably - of course depends on all of the variables you discuss here. I suppose an additional factor in the cut off decision will be the UCAT profiles of this batch of applicants, so it there are many at the high end then they will raise the cut off a lot, but middle to lower end UCATs will impact it less. From what the very professional woman in their admissions office said on the telephone, it seems likely that after meeting their entry requirements, the interview offers will be determined purely by who is above their UCAT cut off, which will be finalised in a meeting next week. It won't be too long before we have an answer as to what that will be...
(edited 2 years ago)
What do you think there ucat cut off will be
Original post by Sfhbcfhb
What do you think there ucat cut off will be

around 2550
around 2550

I reckon around that too
Reply 198
I’m hoping my 2550 with be ok I’m kinda on the edge😂
around 2550