ClarissaBella
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
It is as simple as, if you are below the cutoff (2620 last year, very likely to increase this year), you will go into the holistic assessment pathway, AFAIK.
Thank you very much and I am very sorry to bother you again. But because they say 'close to, but marginally lower than the top third of UCAT results nationally' I was hoping to know how much lower than their cut off they have historically gone. It seems from that quote that they do not look holistically at all application that missed their cut off, but only those that are not too far below it. I am trying to understand what this means in practice...
Exciting95135
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It means that they will look at every single part of your application and come to some sort of judgement. You can look on their wesbite for the type of thing they say they look at (GCSEs, extra A levels, NAI form etc)

Given that Manchester has explicitly removed their guarantee of an interview to >7th decile candidates, I would bet large amounts of money on their cutoff increasing and nothing on it decreasing, but make of that what you will - I am also not saying I am psychic
Ah I see, so judging by my stats I sent before, would I still have a good chance of getting an interview for Manchester through the holistic route? Also, work experience, I haven't done any volunteering or anything, only 6 months at a restaurant and virtual work experience, would this be disadvantaging me or is that acceptable because of covid-19. Thank you.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ClarissaBella)
Thank you very much and I am very sorry to bother you again. But because they say 'close to, but marginally lower than the top third of UCAT results nationally' I was hoping to know how much lower than their cut off they have historically gone. It seems from that quote that they do not look holistically at all application that missed their cut off, but only those that are not too far below it. I am trying to understand what this means in practice...
I do not know enough in detail about Manchester to really answer that - the impression I had was that anyone who did not make the UCAT cutoff was at least eligible for the holistic route, but I may be wrong. Of course, they may then still look at UCAT so a relatively higher score is an advantage.

You can try and look at FOI requests and such but they are quite cagey on this so I would see it more as how safe your other options are and how much you like Manchester, as if you think you will be assessed holistically you have to assume you are very likely to be rejected anyway.
Last edited by becausethenight; 3 weeks ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exciting95135)
Ah I see, so judging by my stats I sent before, would I still have a good chance of getting an interview for Manchester through the holistic route? Also, work experience, I haven't done any volunteering or anything, only 6 months at a restaurant and virtual work experience, would this be disadvantaging me or is that acceptable because of covid-19. Thank you.
I don't know, we really don't know what they look at! Unless everything else is utterly perfect, you have 20 A* A levels etc I cannot comment.
You are probably going to have to have some risk somewhere in your application so depends how much you like Manchester and where else you want to apply really.
Exciting95135
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know, we really don't know what they look at! Unless everything else is utterly perfect, you have 20 A* A levels etc I cannot comment.
You are probably going to have to have some risk somewhere in your application so depends how much you like Manchester and where else you want to apply really.
What universities would you recommend me to apply to if I may ask. Preferably I would want to stay in the north west of England, and if you don't know, I understand, and thank you for your responses thus far 😁
becausethenight
Rep:
?
What universities would you recommend me to apply to if I may ask. Preferably I would want to stay in the north west of England, and if you don't know, I understand, and thank you for your responses thus far 😁
For advice on where to apply, best thing to do is post your full stats here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post95905786
Exciting95135
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For advice on where to apply, best thing to do is post your full stats here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post95905786
Ah I've already posted there like a week ago but thank you anyway 😁 all you people are so lovely and help so much
ClarissaBella
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do not know enough in detail about Manchester to really answer that - the impression I had was that anyone who did not make the UCAT cutoff was at least eligible for the holistic route, but I may be wrong. Of course, they may then still look at UCAT so a relatively higher score is an advantage.

You can try and look at FOI requests and such but they are quite cagey on this so I would see it more as how safe your other options are and how much you like Manchester, as if you think you will be assessed holistically you have to assume you are very likely to be rejected anyway.
Thank you so much for your patience and kindness. I really appreciate your time.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It means that they will look at every single part of your application and come to some sort of judgement. You can look on their wesbite for the type of thing they say they look at (GCSEs, extra A levels, NAI form etc)

Given that Manchester has explicitly removed their guarantee of an interview to >7th decile candidates, I would bet large amounts of money on their cutoff increasing and nothing on it decreasing, but make of that what you will - I am also not saying I am psychic
See, I keep saying I went to Medical School, not Hogwarts. You, on the other hand......
Remote17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good morning - Thank you to all the helpers on here for their support.

I’m trying to figure out the likelihood of my child getting an interview at Manchester with 2800 B3. I think that looking at their UCAT score alone an interview is likely via the UCAT route but the policy prioritising B1 and B2 casts doubt on that. If rejected on the UCAT route I know there is the holistic route.

I understand the holistic route is for those who miss the UCAT cut off. Potentially they won’t have missed the UCAT cut off with 2800 (assuming cut off isn’t that high). So would their application go through the holistic route or fall through the cracks? I appreciate nobody knows for sure but what is the view on here?

Many thanks
Last edited by Remote17; 3 weeks ago
renu2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You would probably just about get an interview based on UCAT, so should be OK.
tx a lot
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Ah I've already posted there like a week ago but thank you anyway 😁 all you people are so lovely and help so much
Have you reposted? A week is quite a while and stuff can get lost, so it is helpful for us if you repost
becausethenight
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
See, I keep saying I went to Medical School, not Hogwarts. You, on the other hand......
My secret has been discovered :lol:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Remote17)
Good morning - Thank you to all the helpers on here for their support.

I’m trying to figure out the likelihood of my child getting an interview at Manchester with 2800 B3. I think that looking at their UCAT score alone an interview is likely via the UCAT route but the policy prioritising B1 and B2 casts doubt on that. If rejected on the UCAT route I know there is the holistic route.

I understand the holistic route is for those who miss the UCAT cut off. Potentially they won’t have missed the UCAT cut off with 2800 (assuming cut off isn’t that high). So would their application go through the holistic route or fall through the cracks? I appreciate nobody knows for sure but what is the view on here?

Many thanks
Unfortunately, I am pretty sure the UCAT cutoff includes B1/B2, so you would be scored holisticallly.
Exciting95135
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you reposted? A week is quite a while and stuff can get lost, so it is helpful for us if you repost
Yeah i had to repost quite a bit to get a good response, because seems like my post just gets lost with all the new influx of posts haha but thank you so much for the information
Remote17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately, I am pretty sure the UCAT cutoff includes B1/B2, so you would be scored holisticallly.
Thank you. It’s all a bit ‘Crystal ball’ isn’t it when the unis don’t specify their actual policy. I did email Manchester admissions but they just said ‘make sure you meet entry requirements’.
OmarHam3d
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just want to ask if you are aware of what the chances are when taking the holistic approach. What have been the previous ratios?

Also I assume they will consider the PS, Predicted and GCSEs for the holistic approach and so here are my stats - Could you please let me know if they are strong enough to potentially score a interview via the holistic path

GCSEs:

Biology - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
Geography - A*
Further Maths - A*
Arabic - A*
Computer Science
Language - 7
Literature - 7

As Level :

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A

A level Predictions: A*A*A*

UCAT: 2500 Band 2

If you add to these stats a solid personal statement would I be in contention or are my odds just low in general

Many thanks
OmarHam3d
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this true that manchester needs a 4th a level if not a fourth As level and then if not that you need something like the duke of Edinburgh
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Yeah i had to repost quite a bit to get a good response, because seems like my post just gets lost with all the new influx of posts haha but thank you so much for the information
Hope you did get an answer eventually
The influx of posts this year is crazy - I can barely keep up! The part 1 took like 7 years to fill up, the part 2 about 2-3 and now this one may be done in a year... :eek:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Remote17)
Thank you. It’s all a bit ‘Crystal ball’ isn’t it when the unis don’t specify their actual policy. I did email Manchester admissions but they just said ‘make sure you meet entry requirements’.
Yep... that is so annoying, “please make sure you have met the requirements that we have not told you”!
Unless you really like Manchester I would seriously consider only applying to unis that have explicitly said they do not look at SJT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads