becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OmarHam3d)
Is this true that manchester needs a 4th a level if not a fourth As level and then if not that you need something like the duke of Edinburgh
No, but it may be looked at if you are invited via the holistic route.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OmarHam3d)
Just want to ask if you are aware of what the chances are when taking the holistic approach. What have been the previous ratios?

Also I assume they will consider the PS, Predicted and GCSEs for the holistic approach and so here are my stats - Could you please let me know if they are strong enough to potentially score a interview via the holistic path

GCSEs:

Biology - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
Geography - A*
Further Maths - A*
Arabic - A*
Computer Science
Language - 7
Literature - 7

As Level :

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A

A level Predictions: A*A*A*

UCAT: 2500 Band 2

If you add to these stats a solid personal statement would I be in contention or are my odds just low in general

Many thanks
As you say you would be going down the holistic route which frankly is a total lottery - GANFYD was told it was basically just the admissions tutors sitting down, looking at the application and making decisions!

If you really love Manchester and have 3 other very safe choices, I might consider it, but it really is a total lottery.
HeyStink23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I was wondering if it would be safe applying to Manchester as I would go through the holistic route, UCAT: 2920, B3 and predicted only AAA with 99888888766 at GCSE with a 6 in maths and eng lang. Would my cognitive score outweigh my SJT band?
HeyStink23
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HeyStink23)
Hi I was wondering if it would be safe applying to Manchester as I would go through the holistic route, UCAT: 2920, B3 and predicted only AAA with 99888888766 at GCSE with a 6 in maths and eng lang. Would my cognitive score outweigh my SJT band?
I also have a WP flag due to my postcode not sure how much this would help
shanmancc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i got 2800 b3, are u sure that we'd go through holistic route just based on band? ik they prefer b1 and b2 but it seemed like wayyy more ppl got b3 this year (according to interim results) so i'm hoping maybe they'd show some leniency
HeyStink23
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shanmancc)
i got 2800 b3, are u sure that we'd go through holistic route just based on band? ik they prefer b1 and b2 but it seemed like wayyy more ppl got b3 this year (according to interim results) so i'm hoping maybe they'd show some leniency
Well they said (https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/stu...ne/apply/ucat/) :
"If you meet the UCAT threshold we apply, and you achieve Band 1 or 2 in the Situational Judgement Test (SJT), you will likely be invited to interview as long as you meet our minimum academic requirements (for example, GCSE and predicted grades).

There are, however, some operational constraints on the number of interviews available in any given year. Where the number of highly scoring candidates exceeds the number of interview slots available, we will rank candidates according to UCAT total score and SJT band."

So I assumed we'd have to go through the holistic route
bbr32
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
Do you know what was the UCAT threshold for Manchester to invite for the interview last year.

Thanks
Z317
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm a gap year student- is it worth applying with:

GCSES: 99 88 7777 66
A Level: AAA
UCAT: 2810 B2

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is my GCSEs? Only as it didn't meet the cut for two of my unis last year.
thanks in advance <3
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Z317)
Hi, I'm a gap year student- is it worth applying with:

GCSES: 99 88 7777 66
A Level: AAA
UCAT: 2810 B2

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is my GCSEs? Only as it didn't meet the cut for two of my unis last year.
thanks in advance <3
Manchester only use GCSEs for minimum requirements, via their UCAT route, adn you have their 7 As. I suspect their UCAT cut off to go up quite a bit, but hopfully not to the level of your score! They have always required lower cut offs than Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol, etc, but I think a lot of people with 2780-2850 will be put off applying to them this year, given the high cut offs last year, and will probably look to Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, SGUL, Liverpool etc as the next options, so who knows where things might get pushed to?
anon123456789!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know Manchester prioritises Band 1 and 2 over 3 so is there any point of applying with Band 3 and a score of 2670? Or is it too risky
HeyStink23
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anon123456789!)
I know Manchester prioritises Band 1 and 2 over 3 so is there any point of applying with Band 3 and a score of 2670? Or is it too risky
does anyone know if this would be wise or how the holistic route works GANFYD
ClarissaBella
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
does anyone know if this would be wise or how the holistic route works GANFYD
Reading through last year's Manchester thread to search for those who made it the holistic route, it does seem that people with scores below the cut off were invited, and there were a range of scores in terms of closeness to the cut off, as well as some with band 3 but otherwise high scores invited and others in that position not. Anyone with experience or knowledge who could chime in here it would be great.
KianE03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is it true that all of Manchester’s lectures for medicine will be permanently online even for next years students?
ClarissaBella
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Attention please, past applicants who were offered interviews at Manchester via the holistic route. If you are reading, it would be wonderfully helpful if you could please let us know the year you interviewed, your UCAT score, your SJ band, any extras you had such as A*s (how many), GCSEs above the requirement (i.e, how many A*s in addition to As), and EPQs (grade please) and/or extra A level (plus grade).
Last edited by ClarissaBella; 3 weeks ago
bbr32
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,
I would like to ask about the work experience form. Do they use it in the interview selection process?

Thanks
maple26
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi
I just got 2780 B2. A level : A*A*A . GCSES: 7 eng lang, 8: Eng lit, physics, maths, drama 9: french, geography, economics, biology, chemistry, r.e. I also heard they don't look at personal statement , is this true. As I feel I have a strong ps and would rather it be considerded.
Am I likely to get an interview?
Thank you for your help.
Funnyjam3728
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi guys,
I feel like Manchester is a risky option?

GCSE's 9999997776 (6 in english language)
UCAT score 2710 B2
a level predictions- A*A*A*

Thanks for reading my post
Rando3005
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Funnyjam3728)
Hi guys,
I feel like Manchester is a risky option?

GCSE's 9999997776 (6 in english language)
UCAT score 2710 B2
a level predictions- A*A*A*

Thanks for reading my post
If you look at last years feed there are people with lower scores who got interviews so it doesn't seem to risky.
sofia333
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Would it be risky to apply here with 2680 B2, achieved 1st class degree in Anatomy and Human Biology at KCL?
sofia333
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
You are exactly on the past cutoff for UCAT-based interviews. It is very likely to increase this year as they have removed their guarantee of interview if >7th decile, so you are likely to go into the holistic route and depends if you want to risk it.
what do you mean they have removed the guarantee interview if >7th decile? so how are they going to assess if someone goes through the holistic assessment or not? how are they going to impose a cut-off without the 7th decile margin that they previously used?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed