The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Student life

What’s the diversity like, coming from somewhere multicultural like London it feels really white in the city but idk about the Uni.
Original post by Anonymous
What’s the diversity like, coming from somewhere multicultural like London it feels really white in the city but idk about the Uni.

Hi there,

The city is indeed predominantly white as it is a fairly middle-upper class city in the South West UK. However, the university itself is actually really diverse and multicultural. There are also lots of ethnicity/nationality based societies, so students can meet students similar to themselves as well as do socials that relate to that culture. For example, the African society often does African dance performances on campus. So, whilst the city is generally white, the university is pretty multicultural and puts a lot of effort into being inclusive and diverse :smile:

I hope this helps
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

The city is indeed predominantly white as it is a fairly middle-upper class city in the South West UK. However, the university itself is actually really diverse and multicultural. There are also lots of ethnicity/nationality based societies, so students can meet students similar to themselves as well as do socials that relate to that culture. For example, the African society often does African dance performances on campus. So, whilst the city is generally white, the university is pretty multicultural and puts a lot of effort into being inclusive and diverse :smile:

I hope this helps
Jessica, a final year NatSci student

Thanks so much! That’s really helpful. Would you say that from your experience there is a big divide between the sports students and the academic students? I’ve heard from a lot of people that the two tend to look down on each other like jocks and nerds? I’m really scared that there will be sort of like a social hierarchy😭 if that makes sense.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much! That’s really helpful. Would you say that from your experience there is a big divide between the sports students and the academic students? I’ve heard from a lot of people that the two tend to look down on each other like jocks and nerds? I’m really scared that there will be sort of like a social hierarchy😭 if that makes sense.

Hi there! My name is Leah and I am going into my final year of chemical engineering at the University of Bath.

I cannot say that I've really experienced any divide between student groups as there are not really defined groups. The University has a really welcoming atmosphere and in general, everyone is nice to each other. Ultimately, there are a LOT of students on campus - there are plenty of sports / societies / volunteering to get involved with that you should always be able to find the people who are most like you and who you get on with. People tend to be more mature at University compared with school so a social hierarchy is not something I have ever experienced. People have there own groups and tend to be happy in their friendship circles - there are so many people that if you don't get on with someone or a group of people, you do not have to spend anytime with them (unlike in school!).

Everyone has worked really hard to get to University and all the courses that Bath offers are highly academic. As a result, people tend to be passionate about their subject - it makes for an atmosphere where everyone is excited about being there so there are not really academic people and not academic people. Everyone is academic and then some people are sporty, others have different interests, but it does not really matter and there is not a separation. It's what makes University a really fun and welcoming place, compared to my experience at school.

I hope that helps and do let me know if you have any further questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest