Transfer to a better Uni with bad A-Levels

Watch this thread
Bluey6083
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey guys, just seeking some advice and wondering if anyone has any experience from a similar situation to the one I’m dealing with right now.
5 years ago I completed my A-Levels and didn’t really do as well as I should have done, at the time I was not putting any effort into sixth form as I was immature and wasn’t all that interested in education anymore, and my results showed as much: Chemistry (C), Computer Science (C) and Politics (B). After more than 5 years in the work force doing several jobs (one being a civil servant) I have decided to go to university to study Software Engineering at UCLAN. I’m going to be honest this isn’t my preferred choice of university but it’s the one I’m left with from my past stupidity and my poor grades. I want to go to Lancaster university to study the same thing (which requires AAB) but, I couldn’t attend there due to my A-Levels. I feel as though I have the potential to attend a university like Lancaster if I apply myself properly to my studies (which I plan on doing when I start my degree at UCLAN). My question is, would it be possible for me(provided that I achieve a first in my first year at UCLAN) to either:
1. Transfer for my second year at Lancaster and continue my course there instead
OR
2. Restart my course on year one at Lancaster

Thank you to anyone who answers this thread and gives me advice, please be honest with what you think and tell me if I should stop being snobby or picky and just stick with what I have been blessed with. Thanks
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Info for transfers to Lancaster :

“For some courses, we will consider applications for entry to Year 2 of the degree on a case-by-case basis. You will need to submit an application through UCAS in the usual way.

We will require the following:

Information on your pre-degree or high school qualifications (e.g. GCSEs and A levels). We would typically expect you to have met our entry requirements for Year 1 entry.
Information on your current or previous undergraduate study, including a list of all the modules you have completed and are yet to complete. We will need to check if you have covered sufficient academic material equivalent to the content of Year 1 of the Lancaster University degree. We expect applicants to pass the current year of their undergraduate study (or equivalent) with upper second class honours marks.
We would require a reference from someone who has taught you as part of your undergraduate studies.

If you do not meet these requirements, we may be able to consider you for Year 1 entry.

Lancaster University does not permit entry into Year 3 (or higher) of any degree course.”

(https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/#transferring-to-lancaster-university-474507-2)

So it looks like they probably wouldn’t accept you for second year but may consider you for a first year start. Always good to contact them with your specifics though.

As to whether it’s worth while transferring I don’t know enough about the field to say whether it would really matter or not tbh -someone else may have more of an idea about that.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 11 months ago
Bluey6083
Rep:
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Info for transfers to Lancaster :

“For some courses, we will consider applications for entry to Year 2 of the degree on a case-by-case basis. You will need to submit an application through UCAS in the usual way.

We will require the following:

Information on your pre-degree or high school qualifications (e.g. GCSEs and A levels). We would typically expect you to have met our entry requirements for Year 1 entry.
Information on your current or previous undergraduate study, including a list of all the modules you have completed and are yet to complete. We will need to check if you have covered sufficient academic material equivalent to the content of Year 1 of the Lancaster University degree. We expect applicants to pass the current year of their undergraduate study (or equivalent) with upper second class honours marks.
We would require a reference from someone who has taught you as part of your undergraduate studies.

If you do not meet these requirements, we may be able to consider you for Year 1 entry.

Lancaster University does not permit entry into Year 3 (or higher) of any degree course.”

(https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...rsity-474507-2)

So it looks like they probably wouldn’t accept you for second year but may consider you for a first year start. Always good to contact them with your specifics though.

As to whether it’s worth while transferring I don’t know enough about the field to say whether it would really matter or not tbh -someone else may have more of an idea about that.
Cheers for the info mate, I doubt contacting them now about it would do any good or give me an answer. I think I’ll do my first year and go from there to see if I can make this happen.
Additionally, apparently Lancaster is the sixth best in the uk for software engineering so I think it should be worth it, although I’ve looked at the languages they teach on the website and they only teach you Java and C, whereas UCLAN teach you C++, Java and C#. I’m not too fussed but C++ is way better than C because C++ is used more in the real world by developers. Knowing this also makes me think that I only wanna go Lancaster over UCLAN to make myself feel better and stroke my ego. But at the same time I like Lancaster city and the campus. My gf goes Lancaster and tbh she and poor working conditions over these last few years have made me wanna go back to education again. Maybe I’m just clinging onto the past where I did well at GCSE and should have and was predicated to get A’s at A-Level, maybe I should just get over it and move on.
Thank you for responding btw
PQ
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
It would be cheaper to retake your A levels or take an access diploma instead of wasting a UCLan
Bluey6083
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
It would be cheaper to retake your A levels or take an access diploma instead of wasting a UCLan
You see I thought that too however, when I looked into resitting my A-Levels last year the closest place I could resist an A-Level in my area was an hour and a half away (by car) as my local college doesn’t do A-Level qualifications, the sixth forms in my areas don’t take private candidates when I rang them, not to mention due to corona virus no exams were being sat so, without a teacher I can’t get a new qualification. My college does do access to HE courses but at the time when I looked into this I had already missed the start of such courses and was thus unable to enrol in time for entry into the academic year anyway. Additionally, to take one of those courses at my local college I wouldn’t get a student loan to live off and to actually do the education I would have to go part time at work, which means I wouldn’t be able to eat or have a place to live with the reduction in income. So, I have to go uni in order to be able to afford to live and get the education, in addition if I waited till this academic year to resit A-Levels isn’t there the possibility of another COVID wave and then I wouldn’t be able to take the exams anyway for another year.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Bluey6083)
You see I thought that too however, when I looked into resitting my A-Levels last year the closest place I could resist an A-Level in my area was an hour and a half away (by car) as my local college doesn’t do A-Level qualifications, the sixth forms in my areas don’t take private candidates when I rang them, not to mention due to corona virus no exams were being sat so, without a teacher I can’t get a new qualification. My college does do access to HE courses but at the time when I looked into this I had already missed the start of such courses and was thus unable to enrol in time for entry into the academic year anyway. Additionally, to take one of those courses at my local college I wouldn’t get a student loan to live off and to actually do the education I would have to go part time at work, which means I wouldn’t be able to eat or have a place to live with the reduction in income. So, I have to go uni in order to be able to afford to live and get the education, in addition if I waited till this academic year to resit A-Levels isn’t there the possibility of another COVID wave and then I wouldn’t be able to take the exams anyway for another year.
If your situation is such that you can't afford to do an Access course then I don't see you have any option but to go to UCLAN and hope that Lancaster allow you to transfer there after one year if you do well (probably to start from year 1 again) but it would be better really to do an Access course and then apply directly to Lancaster. They are perfectly happy to accept people with Access qualifications, it's more a case of whether you can make that option work for you.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Just remember that 'better Uni' does not guarentee that you will enjot that course better or like being at that Uni more.
And - joining any course in a subsequent year may make it more difficult to catch-up academically, make friends, feel comfortable etc - don't underestimate this.
PQ
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
If you go down this route then you’ll use your gift year of funding. That means if you struggle after the transfer or are unhappy and need to repeat a year or restart again then you’ll have to pay tuition fees to the second extra year from your own pocket.

There’s also no guarantees of an offer if you go down this route. If lancaster (or any other university you prefer) aren’t willing to offer you a place to restart then would you be content to complete your degree at UCLan?
Bluey6083
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Update*
Been at uni for about 5 months now, having a great time and learning loads. Uclan is great but could be better in the quality of teaching in several big areas, in my opinion. Although I do have great lectures for programming and games concepts.
I have applied through UCAS to Lancaster for 2022 entry to see if I can transfer and start from year one again (they said I can’t go into year two) and they haven’t responded with an offer or declined as of yet, but asked for some grades. I gave them my grades for my first year currently, which are as follows, four week challenge 76, computer systems and security coursework 1 74, programming coursework 1 94 and finally games concepts coursework 1 94. These courseworks max at 100 marks and the four week challenge is a complete module grade.
My results are all firsts, but are not complete grades as of yet as, I have more courseworks to complete for the rest of the year. I have been thinking about going to Lancaster recently, I wonder how my grades would compare over there, would I not do as good. Idk, I think I’m just looking for some more advice, if you were in my position would you start on year 1 again to go to a better uni. Would like to mention Lancaster’s software engineering course is ranked 7th in the country, and UCLan is ranked 98 / 111, according to the guardian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads