Studying full time and working full time. Possible?

Watch
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it? I don't have experience regarding UK universities, hence asking. I got a job offer that involves working for 4 days a week. How flexible the classes in uni can be?
Hotheaded
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In uni you are given a timetable, if you miss lectures and don’t catch up you’ll be in trouble, if you miss a lot of lectures you’ll be kicked. It depends on the difficulty of your course, but generally I would say having a full time job whilst at uni is quite difficult to do, you’ll have little free time and your grades might suffer.
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Hotheaded)
In uni you are given a timetable, if you miss lectures and don’t catch up you’ll be in trouble, if you miss a lot of lectures you’ll be kicked. It depends on the difficulty of your course, but generally I would say having a full time job whilst at uni is quite difficult to do, you’ll have little free time and your grades might suffer.
Thanks for your response. Do lower tier universities tend to have flexible schedule/ have classes less days a week than higher tier ones? Maybe that can be a way to fit in work
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'Possible' but generally considered stupid, egotistical and self destructive tbh (sorry, truth). Expect 0 flex from your uni on this as they expect a commitment

(My uni strongly advised students with PART time jobs to quit them due to workload... and they would make up the lost wages from discretionary funding, so they weren't bluffing)

If you are determined to work then part time study or Open Uni might be more appropriate? That's the only way you will have any significant control over your schedule imo
WinnipegFreeway
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
'Possible' but generally considered stupid, egotistical and self destructive tbh (sorry, truth). Expect 0 flex from your uni on this as they expect a commitment

(My uni strongly advised students with PART time jobs to quit them due to workload... and they would make up the lost wages from discretionary funding, so they weren't bluffing)

If you are determined to work then part time study or Open Uni might be more appropriate? That's the only way you will have any significant control over your schedule imo
Which university was this?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by WinnipegFreeway)
Which university was this?
SRUC (one of the sort of proto/poly unis still working through their accreditation process) - I can't say whether that's a standard policy of theirs but that's what was offered when I was there, a few folk in my class took them up on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads