The Student Room Group

A Level Pickle

I am looking to take some A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science as I want to go back to Uni part time to study Maths and data science as I am aiming for a career in fraud prevention. All the degrees I have seen even with foundation courses require A Level Maths at a minimum.

A college that is within my county is offering one year intensive A Levels in these subjects as well as the standard 2 years.

For the 1 year intensive route the Maths A level is asking for maths taken previously at D or above and the Computer Science GCSE at grade B or above. I don't have either as I didn't take a level Maths first time round and got grade C at GCSE Maths.

For the standard route the Maths A Level entry requirements I already meet but Computer Science is still asking for grade B Maths at GCSE.

How lenient are colleges with entry requirements?

To add to this I need to take my courses online/distance learning due in part to working full time and not being able to afford to study when supposed to be working but also due to severe mental health issues. Would college allow me to do this even with current covid regs stating I should be attending college in person? I have a feeling another lockdown is going to be placed by October time.

Is there any online providers who accept advanced learner loan funding either for all a levels or a levels plus a btec diploma?
Reply 1
I'm disappointed. I read the title thinking you were talking about an A level about pickles :emo:
Original post by smallandcute
I am looking to take some A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science as I want to go back to Uni part time to study Maths and data science as I am aiming for a career in fraud prevention. All the degrees I have seen even with foundation courses require A Level Maths at a minimum.

A college that is within my county is offering one year intensive A Levels in these subjects as well as the standard 2 years.

For the 1 year intensive route the Maths A level is asking for maths taken previously at D or above and the Computer Science GCSE at grade B or above. I don't have either as I didn't take a level Maths first time round and got grade C at GCSE Maths.

For the standard route the Maths A Level entry requirements I already meet but Computer Science is still asking for grade B Maths at GCSE.

To add to this I need to take my courses online/distance learning due in part to working full time and not being able to afford to study when supposed to be working but also due to severe mental health issues. Would college allow me to do this even with current covid regs stating I should be attending college in person? I have a feeling another lockdown is going to be placed by October time.

Is there any online providers who accept advanced learner loan funding either for all a levels or a levels plus a btec diploma?

Maybe the National Extension College (NEC)?

What about an Access course?
Original post by 4D Chess
I'm disappointed. I read the title thinking you were talking about an A level about pickles :emo:

Haha, could you imagine!
Original post by Pegasus25
Maybe the National Extension College (NEC)?

I have had a look but they don't accept advanced learner loans. It seems really difficult to me to get funding for those that need to study online/distance even though the government is pushing for lots of retraining. :confused:
Original post by Muttley79
What about an Access course?

There is only one I can find that would suit and is based in London which is a few hours away from me. Again would they allow me to take this as an online course with them?
There is only one I can find that would suit and is based in London which is a few hours away from me. Again would they allow me to take this as an online course with them?

Does the OU offer a suitable one?
Does the OU offer a suitable one?

They do access modules, not access courses. May speak to them though and see what they say.
They do access modules, not access courses. May speak to them though and see what they say.

I would ring a few unis - they can be flexible with entry requitements for 'older' students, particularly for Foundation years.
I would ring a few unis - they can be flexible with entry requitements for 'older' students, particularly for Foundation years.

Yes was thinking of that earlier too so I will do. I do have work experience in the field I want to go into so here is hoping.
Yes was thinking of that earlier too so I will do. I do have work experience in the field I want to go into so here is hoping.

That sounds encouraging - I think that route is better than A levels tbh :smile:

Keep us informed and good luck.
Thank you. I will do.

I find it really frustrating that in this day and age and especially with everything going on pandemic wise there isn't options for adult learners to return to FE to do A Levels as evening/online or distance with the funding in place such as the ALL when degrees are asking for specifics and the government is pushing for retraining. There are huge gaps to be filled in the employment market but such big barriers are in the way. Same goes for HE, retraining in STEM subjects and very few part time or distance learning courses available and some just don't suit the OU style of teaching etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you. I will do.

I find it really frustrating that in this day and age and especially with everything going on pandemic wise there isn't options for adult learners to return to FE to do A Levels as evening/online or distance with the funding in place such as the ALL when degrees are asking for specifics and the government is pushing for retraining. There are huge gaps to be filled in the employment market but such big barriers are in the way. Same goes for HE, retraining in STEM subjects and very few part time or distance learning courses available and some just don't suit the OU style of teaching etc.

Yes it seems very unfair. The labour market is inflexible in that sense. Hopefully, you will pull through. What did you study originally at university? Do you wish you studied STEM in the first place?
Original post by Pegasus25
Yes it seems very unfair. The labour market is inflexible in that sense. Hopefully, you will pull through. What did you study originally at university? Do you wish you studied STEM in the first place?

My first degree was in business so not too far off from the fiance world.

I actually think it should be encouraged by FE to advise students of 18 etc to get some work experience first under their belt before deciding on Uni. I know there are some who are very sure of their career path which is great but for the vast majority we need to explore areas first, and that is perfectly OK.

I wanted to be a midwife originally and was very much talked out of it. I was also good at maths and still remember my maths teacher from years 7 to 9 at secondary school but I changed schools to do my GCSEs and really struggled with my two GCSE maths teachers. I know maths is taught very differently now to then and I really want to push forward with it with my career plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending