The Student Room Group

I hate autism.

I have autism and I hate it.
Me too, but I'm very good at hiding it at this point.
It has some benefits, it gives me above average intelligence and a strange obsession with fine detail.
This allows me to find patterns and navigate the world of social groups than the other people with autism in my year.

Nobody even knows that I have autism.

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant.
I don't know how this post is supposed to help you, there is no escape from this condition and it will plague every moment of your life.
Just know that your not alone???
Original post by Anonymous

Elaborate?
Reply 3
Me too, but I'm very good at hiding it at this point.
It has some benefits, it gives me above average intelligence and a strange obsession with fine detail.
This allows me to find patterns and navigate the world of social groups than the other people with autism in my year.

Nobody even knows that I have autism.

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant.
I don't know how this post is supposed to help you, there is no escape from this condition and it will plague every moment of your life.
Just know that your not alone???

Yeah I have an above average IQ on paper at least too.
In my mind I am an ordinary person, I don’t feel different. I don’t have any significant sensory difficulties and the things that I do dislike, I simply avoid. I do have intense special interests but they make me feel good, they aren’t a source of discomfort to me.

I hate the social skills side of things. I understand most social contexts, I can read facial expressions to a point, I can decode metaphorical language well. However, I find having reciprocal social interactions extremely difficult, my brain just can’t keep up, I can’t think of the right things to say, despite understanding what is being communicated to me. This makes it very very difficult for me to maintain relationships and it’s really distressing. Everything I envisage for my life is based around me being ‘normal’ and I am not.

Like you, most people don’t realise that I am autistic, however I will tell people if they ask why. It’s generally assumed that I am an introvert or anxious.

It’s kinda comforting to know it’s a thing.
Reply 4
You know what? I have autism too and as long as you hate it you’ll never learn to accept it. It doesn’t have to be a burden and with help you can learn and grow just like anybody else, sure you will find things difficult from time to time, as do I, but honestly I’m a completely different as I was a year ago after getting help.
Reply 5

i am autistic as well i get the feeling like everyone else has a script to a play we are all in like i feel like i dont know the lines i am supposed to say however i feel like i am a lucky person with autism as my autism is very mild basically a border case i mainly have problems with understanding others emotions and me not having a filter.

The one piece of advice i would give is we are all given a hand in life some cards are bad some are good all we can do is play the game . so yes you might have autism try and use it to your advantage try and find people who understand you and also from what i have seen we are alot alike i also don't seem autistic to others i only got diagnosed at 18 so with that you can choose when or if to tell people you have autism with discretion for me personally i only tell people when it is need such as medical professionals or for example employers and friends after sometime of them getting to know me and if some problem occurs in the friendship such as if i misread their emotions or if i say a inappropriate joke out of turn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending