The Student Room Group

Will university accept my Alevels ?

Hello!
Okay so this question may seem, in a way, strange or stupid.
So i'll explain it.
I am a new student starting college/sixth form (to do alevels)
the Alevels, I have chosen are: psychology, sociology and criminology.
on the college website it classes criminology as an Alevel then says how in the first year its a Certificate then in Year 2 its a diploma. i really want to study psychology at the university of Manchester. however some of my friends told me how you cant study it if you do criminology cause apparently its not an alevel to manchester? could you please help me with this?
The WJEC diploma is not an A level and ucas is currently consulting on whether to remove it from the tariff scheme.

You need to check (and get in writing) with each of your potential universities whether they’ll accept it as equivalent to an A level for 2023 entry.

If you want to study psychology then taking biology or another science aa level would be a better option.
(edited 2 years ago)
Colleges are falsely advertising this as an A-Level causing all this confusion with quite a few students taking it under the pretence of it being an A-Level
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
The WJEC diploma is not an A level and ucas is currently consulting on whether to remove it from the tariff scheme.

You need to check (and get in writing) with each of your potential universities whether they’ll accept it as equivalent to an A level for 2023 entry.

If you want to study psychology then taking biology or another science aa level would be a better option.

will it be okay if i change criminology to law.
so then my alevels would be: psychology, sociology and law
Reply 4
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Colleges are falsely advertising this as an A-Level causing all this confusion with quite a few students taking it under the pretence of it being an A-Level

ive heard from students how they were told it was an alevel but then got rejected by their first choice university.
ive changed criminology to law instead
Original post by psych0l0gy
will it be okay if i change criminology to law.
so then my alevels would be: psychology, sociology and law

You would need to check with the universities that you want to apply to whether they consider applications without biology A level
Original post by psych0l0gy
Hello!
Okay so this question may seem, in a way, strange or stupid.
So i'll explain it.
I am a new student starting college/sixth form (to do alevels)
the Alevels, I have chosen are: psychology, sociology and criminology.
on the college website it classes criminology as an Alevel then says how in the first year its a Certificate then in Year 2 its a diploma. i really want to study psychology at the university of Manchester. however some of my friends told me how you cant study it if you do criminology cause apparently its not an alevel to manchester? could you please help me with this?

Also please check with the university you're attending that the fact you're taking A levels with so much similar content is okay. I know Warwick doesn't like it when students take similar A levels (e.g Business and Economics) so fyi!
Don't do the WJEC Criminology Diploma.
Many schools totally misreperentent this to students as 'an A level ' or 'equal to an A level' - and it isn't either.
Its esssentially 'true crime' nonsense with very little serious academic content - and many Unis will not accept it.

Psychology is a science at degree level, not a social science. It needs three solid A levels, including Maths or a Science. Many Unis will include Geography or Psychology as 'a science' but certaily not 'Criminology'.

Quick Reply