The Student Room Group

home student / international fees

I came to the UK a year ago even though I have UK citizenship, so next year I'll have stayed for 2 years. Is this enough time for me to qualify as a home student for university so I get the standard fee?
Original post by 20chowac20
I came to the UK a year ago even though I have UK citizenship, so next year I'll have stayed for 2 years. Is this enough time for me to qualify as a home student for university so I get the standard fee?

assuming you do have UK citizenship then I'd imagine you'd qualify for the usual fee but it might be work sending an email over to student finance to double check!!
Reply 2
When I look it up it says:
In general, British, Irish and other European Union citizens qualify for home student status only if they have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for three years prior to the start of university. From Autumn 2021 EU citizens will lose their home student status and will have to pay higher international tuition fees.

I came to the UK a year ago to start A-levels, so next year (assuming I accept any future offers) I'll start uni 2 years after I came to the UK, which is less than three years. Is there any way I could appeal this, or do I definitely have to pay the international fee?

You do not qualify as you have not been normally resident in the UK for the past 3 years continuously.

You will be charged international fees and have absolutely zero access to student finance.

If you want to qualify for home status, take a gap year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by super_kawaii
You do not qualify as you have not been normally resident in the UK for the past 3 years continuously.

You will be charged international fees and have absolutely zero access to student finance.

If you want to qualify for home status, take a gap year.

my dad, who's normally resident in the UK has paid for 3 years of council tax by the time I enter uni. Would I be able to appeal with the relevant unis/student finance with this information?
my dad, who's normally resident in the UK has paid for 3 years of council tax by the time I enter uni. Would I be able to appeal with the relevant unis/student finance with this information?

Most likely not, as YOU have not normally been resident in the UK for the continuous 3 years previous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending