The Student Room Group

Dating apps- wtf am I doing wrong?

Will I ever go on a date or have sex?!

I’m 22 f and have been on dating apps since november. I’ve had male friends so I’m equipped enough to know how to talk to men, I get new matches, likes and messages everyday, get complimented on my looks on there, I’ve been told irl that I have a vibrant and fun personality, I make a effort with my matches, yet I legit cannot get a date from those apps

I just think there must be something wrong with me?! I hate sounding like a moaner but it’s getting me down cos I’m still a virgin and never even had a boyfriend. In this day and age that’s really weird at my age so I feel like I’m running out of time, but I can’t stop this bad luck! The only men who ever want to meet irl are the ****boys, who won’t meet publicly despite my feelings about that and I’m not interested in unless we have a bit of a connection first. The men that do want the same thing as me either suddenly ghost me or never reply in the first place, i try my best but the conversation always fizzles out and I don’t understand why? Some even play games with me, only replying if I double text which I hate doing. I honestly don’t know how some women get dates? Some of my recent matches on dating apps have turned to nothing, I thought things were going well with a match on hinge but it’s clear as day he’s not interested anymore, just won’t admit he’s only replying out of politeness. It’s definitely me carrying that convo now, I’m asking about him to get to know him but feel like all I’m doing is annoying him. Then there’s a bloke who claims he’ll always reply but hasn’t bothered replying to my latest message to him

I’m getting so depressed about this, early on matches say I seem nice, caring, bubbly, fun, funny and sweet, so why does this keep happening to me? Is anyone else in the same boat, or knows how to actually get a date (or 5?) thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apart from the obvious you keep meeting the wrong type, so keep looking! Etc. I don’t know you but my guess is that you maybe have a certain trait that puts them off the more you get talking to them, like do you seem a bit clingy without realising it? Are you too chatty? Or maybe it’s cos you’re so nice they think they can treat you like ****. Whatever it is, you deserve better. Try making more friends irl and meeting new men through them, cos honestly dating apps are sucky and full of weirdos ngl. Some people ghost you on there for no reason whatsoever, the freaks.
(edited 2 years ago)
I got a few dates of dating apps. Go for the ones who say they want serious on their bio's. The ones who make it clear in their bio they want a connection and not hookups. Try going for men who you don't find physically attractive too.
Reply 3
Original post by Hey!!
Apart from the obvious you keep meeting the wrong type, so keep looking! Etc. I don’t know you but my guess is that you maybe have a certain trait that puts them off the more you get talking to them, like do you seem a bit clingy without realising it? Are you too chatty? Or maybe it’s cos you’re so nice they think they can treat you like ****. Whatever it is, you deserve better. Try making more friends irl and meeting new men through them, cos honestly dating apps are sucky and full of weirdos ngl. Some people ghost you on there for no reason whatsoever, the freaks.

I’ve asked people to be brutally honest about whether I have any red flags like them but they said no so the problem is them I think?
Reply 4
Original post by Moonlight Rain
I got a few dates of dating apps. Go for the ones who say they want serious on their bio's. The ones who make it clear in their bio they want a connection and not hookups. Try going for men who you don't find physically attractive too.

When I’ve had too many good looking ********s in my inbox I actually have switched to average looking men but I’m not kidding they’re even ruder than the lookers. Like one I matched with cos I thought he looked like a nice man “oh he’ll do” and he was nothing but creepy and arrogant towards me, patronising etc.
Be honest what would you rate yourself based on looks?
Original post by Anonymous
When I’ve had too many good looking ********s in my inbox I actually have switched to average looking men but I’m not kidding they’re even ruder than the lookers. Like one I matched with cos I thought he looked like a nice man “oh he’ll do” and he was nothing but creepy and arrogant towards me, patronising etc.

That's really weird that you haven't had one good experience on the app as there are so many guys. Try hinge if you haven't
I would suggest using Photofeeler to get an idea of your looks 10-20 votes should get your pretty good idea. Though of course if the outcome turns out less than say a 4 for several photos then you may obviously not feel too good about it but at least you'll know why. End of the day none of us chooses our looks at birth.

My only other thought if it is not that is possibly it may be the way you interact. Sone girls can come across as prickly and not realise it or take what a guy is saying in the wrong way or possibly respond but not realise their response might not sound too good. Any of that and you could have guys running in the opposite way. Guys most often like soft pleasant women that are at ease and not at all sharp with their tongue, etc.

Only other thought than than is possibly the guys might be playing the dating apps to get the best outcome for them, i.e the numbers game. Could possibly be you are being dropped for another girl who is being more forthcoming maybe.
Reply 8
i think maybe you might come on a bit strong at first which scares men off or maybe your looking in the wrong places like on tinder most the people on their are looking for a quick hook-up. i use tinder and hinge as a guy and am looking for a long term relationship and a lot of the time it that can put people off because they think of it as commitment they cant handle atm. but anyway good luck i hope you can find someone
Hey there, I feel your pain.

I usually reply immediately to any response to any woman that I like that has chatted with me, but few of them have responded to my messages, and I find it rather rude.

When it comes to relationships and sexual experience, I'm in the same boat as you are, and I'm a 25-year-old guy.

I think you do better to qualify your caveats in your bio such as the requirement to respond immediately and all that, as I'm planning to do so.

You may message me privately if you want (although I need to know your username first to be able to help you further).
Have you tried Bumble, guys are more serious there.
I’ll try and quote all the other replies in the next few days but I’ve seen a few messages suggesting about looks. It’s definitely not this in my case. I got over 1000 likes on tinder and bumble in the first week, and the opening messages from my matches are always calling me things like “beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, etc.” I think they’re blind. I’ve had “sexy” and “hot” too which I find degrading, also “I’d love to take your virginity”. I’ve heard some women get called ugly and fat on dating apps but I haven’t had this. I pout a lot in my pics so maybe look a bit slutty but I’m not a slut
Only thing else I can say rn is other than the ****boys I mentioned I only seem to be attracting potential stalker types, the ones who only give one or two word answers and much older men who call themselves sugar daddies
I’ll try and quote all the other replies in the next few days but I’ve seen a few messages suggesting about looks. It’s definitely not this in my case. I got over 1000 likes on tinder and bumble in the first week, and the opening messages from my matches are always calling me things like “beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, etc.” I think they’re blind. I’ve had “sexy” and “hot” too which I find degrading, also “I’d love to take your virginity”. I’ve heard some women get called ugly and fat on dating apps but I haven’t had this. I pout a lot in my pics so maybe look a bit slutty but I’m not a slut
Only thing else I can say rn is other than the ****boys I mentioned I only seem to be attracting potential stalker types, the ones who only give one or two word answers and much older men who call themselves sugar daddies

I can see that you want a serious relationship. Is that correct? I don't want to pry into your private life, but I assume that you're Caucasian or white. I'm just curious, by the way.
Original post by SlaveofAll
I can see that you want a serious relationship. Is that correct? I don't want to pry into your private life, but I assume that you're Caucasian or white. I'm just curious, by the way.

I'm not particularly sure how this is relevant, but whatever floats your boat...
Original post by Doomotron
I'm not particularly sure how this is relevant, but whatever floats your boat...

The first sentence has relevance. The next ones are just to satisfy my curiosity.
Maybe youre talking to the wrong types of guys???

Also, have you tried POF? It's the only dating app where I've met some decent people.
Will I ever go on a date or have sex?!

I’m 22 f and have been on dating apps since november. I’ve had male friends so I’m equipped enough to know how to talk to men, I get new matches, likes and messages everyday, get complimented on my looks on there, I’ve been told irl that I have a vibrant and fun personality, I make a effort with my matches, yet I legit cannot get a date from those apps

I just think there must be something wrong with me?! I hate sounding like a moaner but it’s getting me down cos I’m still a virgin and never even had a boyfriend. In this day and age that’s really weird at my age so I feel like I’m running out of time, but I can’t stop this bad luck! The only men who ever want to meet irl are the ****boys, who won’t meet publicly despite my feelings about that and I’m not interested in unless we have a bit of a connection first. The men that do want the same thing as me either suddenly ghost me or never reply in the first place, i try my best but the conversation always fizzles out and I don’t understand why? Some even play games with me, only replying if I double text which I hate doing. I honestly don’t know how some women get dates? Some of my recent matches on dating apps have turned to nothing, I thought things were going well with a match on hinge but it’s clear as day he’s not interested anymore, just won’t admit he’s only replying out of politeness. It’s definitely me carrying that convo now, I’m asking about him to get to know him but feel like all I’m doing is annoying him. Then there’s a bloke who claims he’ll always reply but hasn’t bothered replying to my latest message to him

I’m getting so depressed about this, early on matches say I seem nice, caring, bubbly, fun, funny and sweet, so why does this keep happening to me? Is anyone else in the same boat, or knows how to actually get a date (or 5?) thanks

If you don't mind, I would like to know more about you, if that's OK with you.

My thoughts are that these guys go around to loads of pretty girl profiles doing the same on a numbers game basis and see who bites the most. Pretty boys will go on these dating apps mainly to play around, I mean do you really think a pretty boy has any problems dating? Lol. They'll be able to pick girls up off social media, in real life, etc no problem.

I would say that although you think that some of the guys you contact may not seem as pretty they may be more prettier than you think. I've made that error in the past myself. I'm thinking also that your photos may be putting yourself across in a certain way that you may not have intended/may not really reflect who you are. If you are pouting in a lot of photos you could be coming across with a kind of page 3 model look. I would say try and avoid 'the Jordan' look. Avoid pouting if you can try more for a sweet girly look. So not much at all on the make up and use everyday sort of clothes, maybe casual smart relatively pedestrian stuff, nothing too showy which is the opposite of what I usually say for many girls that struggle to get guys interest.
What's your username, OP?
Have you tried asking any of them for their phone number or on a date? If all you're doing is exchanging messages on the dating app itself it's not going to go very far.

Think of a dating app like a waiting room. No one really wants to be there. It's crowded and loud and everyone is just waiting for their name to be called so that they can leave. By that I mean it's not a good long-term form of communication. If you get talking, ask for their number or another way of talking to them early on. Conversation will flow more easily without the restrictions imposed by apps and the background noise of other people vying for their attention. Also consider other ways of getting to know them beyond simply texting. Call them on the phone, video chat, ask them to meet in a public setting. The app does it's job by introducing people, but they're not great for properly getting to know someone.

For an idea of a timescale, I actually met my current girlfriend on a dating app. We moved off the app within 2 days, talked on voice chat for several hours every night after that, and then met in person within about a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending