The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Maths entry exam

I will be starting Sixth form in a few days and i will be sitting an entry exam for a level maths, i was wondering if the entry exams for maths is hard. Does it impact whether i can do a level maths? and is it important? Thanks in advance!
I would imagine you should be confident in stuff like algebra (quadratics, inequalities, simultaneous equations), coordinate geometry (stuff with lines and circles) and trigonometry. (sine rule, cosine rule, etc.) Those are the main intersections between GCSE at A-level and all reasonably important.

Yes presumably if you don't do well enough in the exam you won't be allowed to do (or heavily dissuaded from doing) the A-level. I think the point in sitting the test is to filter off people who are unlikely to cope, or give additional help to those who need it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
I would imagine you should be confident in stuff like algebra (quadratics, inequalities, simultaneous equations), coordinate geometry (stuff with lines and circles) and trigonometry. (sine rule, cosine rule, etc.) Those are the main intersections between GCSE at A-level and all reasonably important.

Yes presumably if you don't do well enough in the exam you won't be allowed to do (or heavily dissuaded from doing) the A-level. I think the point in sitting the test is to filter off people who are unlikely to cope, or give additional help to those who need it.

Oh I see, thank you very much for your response! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest