BettyWhiteHost
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is Maths Physics and Psychology a good combo of A levels

And will Oxford reject me for a physics degree coz I have done a soft a a level like psychology???
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Psychology wouldn't really be the best option out there for a uni like Oxford when other students do Further Maths instead. But it doesn't mean they'd reject you based on that, there are a lot of other factors they'd consider too.
Anonymous(
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by BettyWhiteHost)
Is Maths Physics and Psychology a good combo of A levels

And will Oxford reject me for a physics degree coz I have done a soft a a level like psychology???
Hi, I don’t think psychology is considered a ‘soft’ A level. It’s not considered as ‘hard’ as A level chemistry/physics/history/fm, etc. but it isn’t considered ‘easy’ either. I don’t take the subject, this is just what I’ve heard. If you’re interested in psychology, 100% take it at A level. However, since you want to study Physics at Oxford, you should seriously consider taking A level further maths. Oxford won’t reject you just because of your subject choices, you’ve taken the necessary a levels and have accompanied it with an ‘academic’ subject, but entry to Oxford Physics is very competitive and you might be considered a slightly ‘weaker’ applicant. Most students will have done Maths, further maths and Physics and many have done 4 A levels, the 4th one usually being chemistry/computer science. The most important part of the application is arguably the PAT followed by the interviews. The PAT is based only on AS Maths and Physics (with a few topics from A2), so you would’ve covered all the topics as such. If you can do very well on the PAT, you have a very good chance of getting in, even if you don’t have further maths/ a 4th A level. The PAT is quite difficult btw. So it is very much possible to get in with this subject combination provided you do well on the PAT
Last edited by Anonymous(; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads