The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Are maths requirements strict for MSc Artificial Intelligence / Cognitive Science?

How strict are the math requirements for the Informatics MSc programs (Artificial Intelligence / Cognitive Science / Informatics)? Has anyone gotten in with a few "holes" in their math curriculum?

I note that the entry requirements currently say:

During your degree you must have completed the equivalent to 60 credits of mathematics that have typically covered the following subjects/topics:
- calculus (differentiation and integration)
- linear algebra (vectors and multi-dimensional matrices)
- discrete mathematics and mathematical reasoning (e.g. induction and reasoning, graph theoretic models, proofs)
- probability (concepts in discrete and continuous probabilities, Markov chains etc.)"

I think I have at least 60 credits of mathematics (if not more). My two problems are that (1) I didn't take a class in discrete mathematics; and (2) I did probability theory as part of a class called "Mathematical Statistics", but probability will not show up in my transcript. Will they still fully consider my application, and does this significantly reduce my chances my admission?

These are my math/cs classes:

3 Semesters of Calculus (Single Variable and Multivariable)

1 Semester of Mathematical Statistics

1 Semester of Linear Algebra

1 Semester of Differential Equations

1 Semester Intro To Computer Science

If it helps, I majored in Neuroscience-Psychology at a US university (I started out in engineering and then switched, hence the maths credits). Thank you in advance!
Original post by Anonymous
How strict are the math requirements for the Informatics MSc programs (Artificial Intelligence / Cognitive Science / Informatics)? Has anyone gotten in with a few "holes" in their math curriculum?

I note that the entry requirements currently say:

I think I have at least 60 credits of mathematics (if not more). My two problems are that (1) I didn't take a class in discrete mathematics; and (2) I did probability theory as part of a class called "Mathematical Statistics", but probability will not show up in my transcript. Will they still fully consider my application, and does this significantly reduce my chances my admission?

These are my math/cs classes:

3 Semesters of Calculus (Single Variable and Multivariable)

1 Semester of Mathematical Statistics

1 Semester of Linear Algebra

1 Semester of Differential Equations

1 Semester Intro To Computer Science

If it helps, I majored in Neuroscience-Psychology at a US university (I started out in engineering and then switched, hence the maths credits). Thank you in advance!

Tricky one, I would probably think your application will be competitive.
However, I think it is definitely worth emailing the department to ask for further clarification as to how essential or desirable this criteria is.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending