The Student Room Group

A levels and EPQ

I've just finished year 13 and did psychology (A*), sociology (A*), business (A) and an EPQ (A*) and as I've seen quite a few people having questions about what they're like, revision methods... I thought that if people had any questions about any of these or sixth form in general they could ask them here and I could answer them
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm also doing A-level sociology and I am wondering whether I have to remember every single piece of info to get an A*. By looking at the exam paper, it's harder to predict what topics might come up in comparison to other topics, well at least, it is for me. How do I know which topics and pieces of information to focus my attention on and which ones not to?
Original post by Throwaway48
I'm also doing A-level sociology and I am wondering whether I have to remember every single piece of info to get an A*. By looking at the exam paper, it's harder to predict what topics might come up in comparison to other topics, well at least, it is for me. How do I know which topics and pieces of information to focus my attention on and which ones not to?

I didn't try to revise every piece as some arguments seemed to small to make a point out of and some of the statistics are saying a really similar point just in a different way. I based what I would try to memorise on which points I had used in my essays and which points were in the most detail in order to ensure that I could go into enough depth in my essays and 10 markers. I would also recommend trying to remember arguments that can be used in more than one chapter (for example if you do beliefs in society then Weber's argument in the affect on religion on social change can also be used as an evaluation point for the link between globalisation, economic development and religiosity, as well as being used to support action is a structure vs action debate in theory and methods)
Reply 3
how many hours a week did you revise? did you prepare and organise what you would do in "free periods"/"study periods" beforehand? do people care about what you wear ar sixth form and do friendships change (should you surround yourself with people that have the same ambitions or does it not matter)?
Original post by SB1234567890
I didn't try to revise every piece as some arguments seemed to small to make a point out of and some of the statistics are saying a really similar point just in a different way. I based what I would try to memorise on which points I had used in my essays and which points were in the most detail in order to ensure that I could go into enough depth in my essays and 10 markers. I would also recommend trying to remember arguments that can be used in more than one chapter (for example if you do beliefs in society then Weber's argument in the affect on religion on social change can also be used as an evaluation point for the link between globalisation, economic development and religiosity, as well as being used to support action is a structure vs action debate in theory and methods)

Ahh, so focus on the key ideas rather than the little ones?
Original post by 273544
how many hours a week did you revise? did you prepare and organise what you would do in "free periods"/"study periods" beforehand? do people care about what you wear ar sixth form and do friendships change (should you surround yourself with people that have the same ambitions or does it not matter)?

It's hard to say exactly how much I revised as I didn't particularly use revision timetables though, along with free periods, I would generally revise at home from around 4:00/4:30 (depending on when I got home) to at least 9:00 though when it was closer to exams I would end up finishing at more like 11:00 (I don't completely recommend revising this late as I feel like by working for longer periods it stressed me out more and I'm surprised that I didn't burn out). I would usually plan my frees in order to make sure that I had the resources needed for prioritised tasks and nearer exams I tried to cover all chapters during my frees so I knew where my weaker areas were for revision at home. In the first week or so, at my sixth form at least, the year 12s were easy to spot as they put more effort into their outfits though after a few weeks people realise that people don't care about what you wear and people wear what they feel happy in rather than thinking about what others will think. Friendships do change, for example my smaller friendship group was made up of two groups that had become smaller by people moving to the college, and I would say there is more of a community feel where it is like one big friendship group. I would say that the ambitions of those aorund you doesn't matter too much as long as they don't try to get you spend your frees in a less productive way when you'd rather be revising. I personally found that I performed better at A level, where a lot of my friends did more artistic subjects or weren't aiming for high grades, than at GCSE, where most of my friends were very academic and their constant comparisons would make me feel bad about myself, though this is subjective
Original post by Throwaway48
Ahh, so focus on the key ideas rather than the little ones?

I'd say so, yes
Original post by SB1234567890
I'd say so, yes

Thank you!
Could anyone tell me the exam dates for Sociology A Level this year?

Maybe I am exhausted and cannot function well, but I cannot make any sense of the AQA website!
I also still have my resources if anyone would like access to them for any subject
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply