The Student Room Group

Does having scars on my arms make me unattractive?

I have self-scar wounds on my left-arm does this make me unattractive? They won't go away!

Scroll to see replies

Nahh thats actually quite attractive lol
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have self-scar wounds on my left-arm does this make me unattractive? They won't go away!

no!! and if someone finds them unattractive i don't think that's the kind of person u wanna be with anyways :/
Reply 3
Original post by nanami8
no!! and if someone finds them unattractive i don't think that's the kind of person u wanna be with anyways :/

My scars look very ugly, and I can’t really cover them up.
Some people might find it unattractive, but not everyone will. My partner has a lot of them, all up both arms, and I still think she's beautiful.

I don't think the scars themselves are ugly, I think the fact that they are self inflicted is a bit unattractive.
Reply 6
Original post by 1582
Some people might find it unattractive, but not everyone will. My partner has a lot of them, all up both arms, and I still think she's beautiful.

I think they look horrible and disgusting. Just my opinion and afraid to show them.
Like 1582 said - some people will be put off by them but there are plenty of people who won't be bothered by them at all. They don't define you or make you less beautiful. I had a partner with self-harm scars and before very long I just stopped seeing them. That person was beautiful, and they weren't beautiful because of or despite having the scars - they were just two independent facts about them - they had self-harm scars, and the person was beautiful.
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Like 1582 said - some people will be put off by them but there are plenty of people who won't be bothered by them at all. They don't define you or make you less beautiful. I had a partner with self-harm scars and before very long I just stopped seeing them. That person was beautiful, and they weren't beautiful because of or despite having the scars - they were just two independent facts about them - they had self-harm scars, and the person was beautiful.

Thank you - they just make me feel very insecure to show my arms, and what others think.

hey! i have pretty deep self scar wounds on my left arm as well which cover my forearm and half of my upper arm. one person who i was talking to previously and was interested in did not find them unattractive. its taken me a lot of time to accept my scars and personally, i don't think any sort of wounds would make a person ugly.
Thank you - they just make me feel very insecure to show my arms, and what others think.

They're a sign that you've come through some immense hardships, that's all. If there are people who think less of you for that, their opinions are worthless anyway.
Everyone has things they find unattractive that others barely notice from body image/shape to personality.
I thought they might be scars from an ex soldier who was a hero in battle (attractive) but instead they are from mental illness. It is not the scars that are off putting but the self harm - worry.
Thank you for your kind remarks everyone - I will accept my scars instead of worry about them.
Original post by 17Student17
I thought they might be scars from an ex soldier who was a hero in battle (attractive) but instead they are from mental illness. It is not the scars that are off putting but the self harm - worry.

I no longer self harm and wouldn’t again.

Unfortunately, the majority of scars don't disappear.

And like with everything else, some people will find them attractive, some unattractive and some just won't care.

I have dated a couple people with self harm scars. They didn't really bother me. It's not something I find either attractive or not. It's just a part of them. Right now I'm talking to someone new and they have a lot of very deep big scars covering their entire arms. I don't mind it, it just makes me sad that they suffer/suffered so much they had to resort to that.
Original post by Mara1680
Unfortunately, the majority of scars don't disappear.

And like with everything else, some people will find them attractive, some unattractive and some just won't care.

I have dated a couple people with self harm scars. They didn't really bother me. It's not something I find either attractive or not. It's just a part of them. Right now I'm talking to someone new and they have a lot of very deep big scars covering their entire arms. I don't mind it, it just makes me sad that they suffer/suffered so much they had to resort to that.

How do I reduce the appearance of them? They make me very insecure and embarrassed.

Try not to worry about what other people think. My partner always wears hoodies when she goes out to hide hers but when we're at home she doesn't. I usually end up running my hands over them when we're cuddling. They're very prominent to both look at and to feel but they don't make me any less attracted to her.

If anyone tries to make you feel bad or unattractive for them then they're not a good friend/partner.
I personally don't but everybody different
Original post by 1582
Try not to worry about what other people think. My partner always wears hoodies when she goes out to hide hers but when we're at home she doesn't. I usually end up running my hands over them when we're cuddling. They're very prominent to both look at and to feel but they don't make me any less attracted to her.

If anyone tries to make you feel bad or unattractive for them then they're not a good friend/partner.

I just feel very insecure about them - thanks for your advice. I hate my appearance also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending