The Student Room Group

what are the key GCSE concepts required for A Level chemistry?

what are the key GCSE concepts required for A Level chemistry? i know most of the GCSE content is important for A-Levels but are there any specific topics that I need to know before school starts?
Covalent metallic ionic bonding
Balancing equations
Original post by lauren_orlando05
what are the key GCSE concepts required for A Level chemistry? i know most of the GCSE content is important for A-Levels but are there any specific topics that I need to know before school starts?

Physical Chemistry
Atomic structure
The mass number, atomic number and isotopes,
The arrangement of the electrons
The mass spectrometer
Calculations: Relative atomic mass, relative molecular mass, the Avogadro constant, the mole, moles in solution, the ideal gas equation, empirical and molecular formulae, balanced equations, atom economy and percentage yield, q = mcΔt, bond enthalpies,
Types of bonding
States of matter
Endothermic/exothermic reactions
Definitions associated with the energetics topic
Collision theory
Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution
Catalysts
Equilibrium
Changing conditions of an equilibrium reaction
Equilibrium reactions in industry
The equilibrium constant
Redox reactions
Oxidation states
Half-equations
Thermodynamics
Kinetics
pH

Inorganic Chemistry
The Periodic Table
Trends in the periodic table
Ionisation energies

Organic Chemistry
Fractional distillation
Industrial cracking
Alkanes
Alkenes
Polymers
Ethanol production
Alcohols
Original post by 5hyl33n
Physical Chemistry
Atomic structure
The mass number, atomic number and isotopes,
The arrangement of the electrons
The mass spectrometer
Calculations: Relative atomic mass, relative molecular mass, the Avogadro constant, the mole, moles in solution, the ideal gas equation, empirical and molecular formulae, balanced equations, atom economy and percentage yield, q = mcΔt, bond enthalpies,
Types of bonding
States of matter
Endothermic/exothermic reactions
Definitions associated with the energetics topic
Collision theory
Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution
Catalysts
Equilibrium
Changing conditions of an equilibrium reaction
Equilibrium reactions in industry
The equilibrium constant
Redox reactions
Oxidation states
Half-equations
Thermodynamics
Kinetics
pH

Inorganic Chemistry
The Periodic Table
Trends in the periodic table
Ionisation energies

Organic Chemistry
Fractional distillation
Industrial cracking
Alkanes
Alkenes
Polymers
Ethanol production
Alcohols

you could've just said everything
Lol a level chem is nothing like gcse😂 and they always go over the basics from gcse and build up from there so dont worry :smile:

Just make sure you are good with quantitative side of GCSEs chemistry, brush up on your dot & cross diagrams and knowledge of the atomic structure/periodic table. Other than that, most of the concepts are not too hard, just visit your notes from time to time, ask questions in lessons (A-level chemistry is heavily based on application so the theory is fundamental) and make sure to do past paper questions.

It’s fun. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ShadowHokage
Just make sure you are good with quantitative side of GCSEs chemistry, brush up on your dot & cross diagrams and knowledge of the atomic structure/periodic table. Other than that, most of the concepts are not too hard, just visit your notes from time to time, ask questions in lessons (A-level chemistry is heavily based on application so the theory is fundamental) and make sure to do past paper questions.

It’s fun. Good luck :smile:

Thank you, that was really helpful! Can i just ask, are you doing A levels now or have you finished?
Thank you, that was really helpful! Can i just ask, are you doing A levels now or have you finished?

I’m going into year13, if you have any other questions I’d be happy to answer :smile:
@ShadowHokage same. What are you planning on studying at uni ?
I agree to what everyone says. Definitely go over your kinetic energy equations, learn how to rearrange them, remeber your moles and concentration equations, your fractional distillation topic and the basics of alkenes and alkanes. Go over your types of bonding too
I’m going into year13, if you have any other questions I’d be happy to answer :smile:

Original post by Student5cience
@ShadowHokage same. What are you planning on studying at uni ?

Good luck for Year 13. I've just finished and am going to university this year. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Good luck for Year 13. I've just finished and am going to university this year. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help.

Congratulations🥳, what university& course will be studying?

I don’t have any questions for now but if I have any later I will ask. Many thanks :smile:
Congratulations🥳, what university& course will be studying?

I don’t have any questions for now but if I have any later I will ask. Many thanks :smile:

Thank you. I will be studying Chemistry at Cardiff University. :biggrin:

No problem. Feel free to ask any questions, whenever.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thank you. I will be studying Chemistry at Cardiff University. :biggrin:

No problem. Feel free to ask any questions, whenever.

Niceeeeee. Good luck !! I’m sure you will excel :smile:
I want to do pharmacy 😊 anyone else here ?

Quick Reply

Latest