The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Did Warwick give out less Mathematics offers this year?

They claim to have an unprecedented number of students this year but also people like me were rejected.
Maths is very competitive at Warwick and unless you had a really strong set of A level predicted grades (A*A*A - including further maths) your chances would have been slim.
(edited 2 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Gabriel-01
Maths is very competitive at Warwick and unless you had a really strong set of A level predicted grades (A*A*A - including further maths) your chances would have been slim.

They're supposed to give offers to everyone with A*AA+ predictions but this year this wasn't the case.
Original post by Anonymous
They're supposed to give offers to everyone with A*AA+ predictions but this year this wasn't the case.

Who said this?
“They're supposed to give offers to everyone with A*AA+ predictions”
Reply 4
"Due to the Coronavirus, we understand that predicted grades may be less reliable for 2021 applicants. We expect to make our Standard Offer to most year 13 students predicted A*(M)+A(FM)+A or better."
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Who said this?
“They're supposed to give offers to everyone with A*AA+ predictions”

I think they may be referring to the final FAQ here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/frequentlyaskedquestions/#faq-19

"We expect to make our Standard Offer to most year 13 students predicted A*(M)+A(FM)+A or better." Emphasis on "most" - it's not a guarantee.
What were your predicted grades?
I don't know about Warwick but some universities did plan for the inflation by giving out less offers (as far as I know that's just Oxbridge).
Reply 8
Original post by richmaths
What were your predicted grades?

A*A*A (mature student)
Reply 9
Original post by ashtolga23
I don't know about Warwick but some universities did plan for the inflation by giving out less offers (as far as I know that's just Oxbridge).

I definitely think this was the case because I applied after exams were cancelled.
A*A*A (mature student)

Hmm, must have been something else then
Original post by Interea
I think they may be referring to the final FAQ here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/frequentlyaskedquestions/#faq-19

"We expect to make our Standard Offer to most year 13 students predicted A*(M)+A(FM)+A or better." Emphasis on "most" - it's not a guarantee.

Yep pretty sensible. They also very clear to emphasize the grades correlated to subjects. Im sure they created a methodology to pick what they deemed the most qualified candidates.

Of course it would be far better to do away with grade inflation & have exams, and have places awarded as meritocraticly as possible.
(edited 2 years ago)
A*A*A (mature student)

The document talks about Year 13 students, they might hold different standards for other people.

Quick Reply

Latest