Not sure what I career I want to do anymore

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've been wanting to be a car mechanic since I was young but I went on work experience at a garage and its actually hard. I helped a qualified mechanic with his job and it was hard because there's loads of different parts etc and it all his all complicated. I know the future of cars is becoming electric so I'm not sure if the structure of electric cars are easier, I've not really worked on electric cars, it was a Vauxhall garage so it was mostly Corsas or Astras coming in and the mechanic was explaining it to me about all the tools required and parts but it seems so complicated. It feels too much for me to remember so I don't know what I want to do anymore.

Also someone told me like mechanic is a job that no one wants to do but they have to because they don't have any qualifications and I was told its a manual labour job which is stigmatised. I don't want to be made fun of for having a manual labour job.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I suspect it’s a difficult and undervalued job. Unless you progress in to a management position or establish your own business it is not well paid either. Personally I would do a degree or do an apprenticeship like plumbing or an electrician where it’s easier to become self employed
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zarek)
I suspect it’s a difficult and undervalued job. Unless you progress in to a management position or establish your own business it is not well paid either. Personally I would do a degree or do an apprenticeship like plumbing or an electrician where it’s easier to become self employed
It should be valued more because if mechanics didn't exist then they'd be no one to fix vehicles and stuff. If there was no mechanics they'd be no one to fix emergency vehicles like police cars or ambulances or fire trucks. People's cars need fixing so they can commute for a living, even people without cars they might rely on buses or trains which still require mechanics so it's an important job.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It should be valued more because if mechanics didn't exist then they'd be no one to fix vehicles and stuff. If there was no mechanics they'd be no one to fix emergency vehicles like police cars or ambulances or fire trucks. People's cars need fixing so they can commute for a living, even people without cars they might rely on buses or trains which still require mechanics so it's an important job.
Totally agree. It just appears to be an under recognised and represented skill. I hope I’m wrong
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zarek)
Totally agree. It just appears to be an under recognised and represented skill. I hope I’m wrong
Yep
Anonymous #1
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads