The Student Room Group

are these good a levels

I'm gonna start studying history, law and sociology. I heard a few off things bout law but I also heard the opposite. I want to study at Cardiff uni. The course being politics and international relations with a language. The language you start from scratch so having an a level is not a concern. The entry requirements are ABB but I already have an equivalent to an a in ucas points.
Best thing to do for law, as much as id want to give first hand advice, I dropped law very early to pick another subject up so I wouldn't be much help, try searching these forums for people sharing their experience with law a level or watch videos on YouTube etc just search the internet for as much information about the subject at a level as you can.

Worst case most schools are very accommodating when changing subjects within the first week or so. so if you feel iffy ask yourself whether you want to follow through on this subject, you'll get more of a feel after your intro lessons etc.

Hopefully you enjoy your chosen subjects though :smile:
Most A-Levels are perfectly acceptable for most degrees at university (except medicine).

The only A-Levels that are truly frowned upon is Critical Thinking, Citizenship, Key Skills and General Studies.

A-Level Law is accepted by virtually all universities and choosing to study it will not effect your chances of an offer. In fact, a lot of top universities list it as a 'Preferred A-Level', alongside a myriad of other subjects.

To answer your question, yes - your A-Level subjects are completely fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mxciej.j
Best thing to do for law, as much as id want to give first hand advice, I dropped law very early to pick another subject up so I wouldn't be much help, try searching these forums for people sharing their experience with law a level or watch videos on YouTube etc just search the internet for as much information about the subject at a level as you can.

Worst case most schools are very accommodating when changing subjects within the first week or so. so if you feel iffy ask yourself whether you want to follow through on this subject, you'll get more of a feel after your intro lessons etc.

Hopefully you enjoy your chosen subjects though :smile:

tks I'll keep that in mind. I hoping I'll like them be I'll see on Wednesday. got a few other options if law dose not work. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by userdeivon
Most A-Levels are perfectly acceptable for most degrees at university (except medicine).

The only A-Levels that are truly frowned upon is Critical Thinking, Citizenship, Key Skills and General Studies.

A-Level Law is accepted by virtually all universities and choosing to study it will not effect your chances of an offer. In fact, a lot of top universities list it as a 'Preferred A-Level', alongside a myriad of other subjects.

To answer your question, yes - your A-Level subjects are completely fine.

I was getting a bit worried there. thanks for clearing that up ((:
It's not a problem, I was in the exact same situation as you in regards to A-Level Law. I too thought that universities would look down on it and was constantly pondering on whether I made a mistake or not - so I completely understand.

Quick Reply

Latest