The Student Room Group

Becoming a nurse in Canada/USA

What steps would I have to take to become a nurse in either of these countries?

I want to work in either health system and have lived in the UK all my life, but wish to work and live in another country,

I’m aware the US is slightly stricter than Canada but I’m just looking for guidance
Original post by Acbuo

I want to work in either health system and have lived in the UK all my life, but wish to work and live in another country,

I’m aware the US is slightly stricter than Canada but I’m just looking for guidance

Hi
Do your research into things first so you'll know exactly what's required for both countries.
Although you can probably get job there without experience on qualifying it's sometimes best to do some nursing here first to gain experience.
I don't know if below is any help to you on this.
I'm a NHS registered nurse ( midwife ).

Can I be a nurse in Canada from UK.......…..
Internationally educated nurses may apply to work temporarily in Canada. Temporary residency for foreign trained nurses may be achieved if the applicant secures a valid job offer and subsequently, a work permit. ... After educational credentials have been assessed, applicants must register as a nurse in Canada

Can a UK nurse work in USA........
At present the majority of recruitment as a nurse in the USA is done through an agency, as the number of available posts for UK nurses is limited. ... With this being the case, if you pass the NCLEX-RN exam the agency (or prospective employer) may then apply for a visa to enable you to return to the USA to work.

There are eight key steps foreign-educated nurses will need to take in order to obtain a position as an RN in a U.S. hospital.

Meet the educational requirements
Take and pass an English language proficiency test, if mandated.
Obtain credential evaluation
Pass your National Council Licensing Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLEX RN)
Find a nursing recruiting agency or US-based employer
Apply and obtain an RN immigrant visa/green card
RN visa interview and medical examination
Accept an RN position
Education
First and foremost, international educated nurses must meet basic education requirements. These include:

Graduation from an accredited Registered Nursing program
Licensing as a Registered Nurse (RN)
Experience practicing as an RN for at least two years
Licensed practical nurses, licensed vocational nurses, and patient care assistants are not eligible to transfer their licenses to the United States.

Find CCNE-Accredited RN Programs

While the aforementioned are required, most states also require foreign-educated nurses to complete a Foreign Educated Nurses (FEN) refresher course. The course consists of 120 hours in the classroom and 120 hours of clinical practice under the supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse.

English Language Proficiency Tests
After meeting the initial education requirements, some foreign educated nurses must take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This will vary depending on the country of origin and results are sent directly to the state nursing board.

Nurses who went to nursing school in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (except Quebec), or Ireland are exempt as are those whose spoken language in nursing school was English and/or the nursing school textbooks were written in English.

Pass The NCLEX Examination
After ensuring you meet the education and language requirements it’s time to apply for the NCLEX in the state of intended employment. Registration with Pearson Vue is required and costs $200 plus additional foreign fees.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
Do your research into things first so you'll know exactly what's required for both countries.
Although you can probably get job there without experience on qualifying it's sometimes best to do some nursing here first to gain experience.
I don't know if below is any help to you on this.
I'm a NHS registered nurse ( midwife ).

Can I be a nurse in Canada from UK.......…..
Internationally educated nurses may apply to work temporarily in Canada. Temporary residency for foreign trained nurses may be achieved if the applicant secures a valid job offer and subsequently, a work permit. ... After educational credentials have been assessed, applicants must register as a nurse in Canada

Can a UK nurse work in USA........
At present the majority of recruitment as a nurse in the USA is done through an agency, as the number of available posts for UK nurses is limited. ... With this being the case, if you pass the NCLEX-RN exam the agency (or prospective employer) may then apply for a visa to enable you to return to the USA to work.

There are eight key steps foreign-educated nurses will need to take in order to obtain a position as an RN in a U.S. hospital.

Meet the educational requirements
Take and pass an English language proficiency test, if mandated.
Obtain credential evaluation
Pass your National Council Licensing Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLEX RN)
Find a nursing recruiting agency or US-based employer
Apply and obtain an RN immigrant visa/green card
RN visa interview and medical examination
Accept an RN position
Education
First and foremost, international educated nurses must meet basic education requirements. These include:

Graduation from an accredited Registered Nursing program
Licensing as a Registered Nurse (RN)
Experience practicing as an RN for at least two years
Licensed practical nurses, licensed vocational nurses, and patient care assistants are not eligible to transfer their licenses to the United States.

Find CCNE-Accredited RN Programs

While the aforementioned are required, most states also require foreign-educated nurses to complete a Foreign Educated Nurses (FEN) refresher course. The course consists of 120 hours in the classroom and 120 hours of clinical practice under the supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse.

English Language Proficiency Tests
After meeting the initial education requirements, some foreign educated nurses must take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This will vary depending on the country of origin and results are sent directly to the state nursing board.

Nurses who went to nursing school in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (except Quebec), or Ireland are exempt as are those whose spoken language in nursing school was English and/or the nursing school textbooks were written in English.

Pass The NCLEX Examination
After ensuring you meet the education and language requirements it’s time to apply for the NCLEX in the state of intended employment. Registration with Pearson Vue is required and costs $200 plus additional foreign fees.

I looked into Arizona state requirements and it says as long as I’ve graduated within the last 5 years and pass the NCLEX I should be able to get a post which is a whole lot different to California requirements which require Mental Health, Med Surg, Paeds and Obs on top of adult. How would I be able to get that experience without going across to California to do a Foreign Educated Nurse cstchup course
Original post by Acbuo
I looked into Arizona state requirements and it says as long as I’ve graduated within the last 5 years and pass the NCLEX I should be able to get a post which is a whole lot different to California requirements which require Mental Health, Med Surg, Paeds and Obs on top of adult. How would I be able to get that experience without going across to California to do a Foreign Educated Nurse cstchup course

You could always goto California one qualifying if got a job lined up as that's only way probably.
Reason why you need to properly research everything prior in applying for jobs.
It's all about getting the requirements for each country.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
You could always goto California one qualifying if got a job lined up as that's only way probably.
Reason why you need to properly research everything prior in applying for jobs.
It's all about getting the requirements for each country.

I might look into Canada more….. I heard it’s easier to get a visa there and the requirements are similar to the US so could work there for a few years then move over to the US
Original post by Acbuo
I might look into Canada more….. I heard it’s easier to get a visa there and the requirements are similar to the US so could work there for a few years then move over to the US

Sounds like a good enough plan by going to Canada first if things are better in getting Visa's and employment compared to USA.

I know that Australia regulations on nursing are similar to UK qualifications but if you go straight from qualifying as a new nurse you have to do some sort of probation period till you gain necessary experience on there rules but don't if you have few years experience behind you ( only know this because of my sister went there to work as adult nurse but had good few years experience behind her first, took while for Visa's etc like but job was already assured.

Good luck with this journey ok.
Reply 6
Original post by Acbuo

Hi Acbuo,
Choosing nursing as your career is such a wonderful decision. Nursing is a noble profession and no other profession can give the level of satisfaction that you get from a career in nursing. In mu opinion becoming a nurse in the UK is much easier and the process is hassle-free.You can approach a good recruitment agency and they will guide you to get placed in the best hospitals in UK.
Reply 7
Original post by Shreya_7
Hi Acbuo,
Choosing nursing as your career is such a wonderful decision. Nursing is a noble profession and no other profession can give the level of satisfaction that you get from a career in nursing. In mu opinion becoming a nurse in the UK is much easier and the process is hassle-free.You can approach a good recruitment agency and they will guide you to get placed in the best hospitals in UK.

Hi Shreya,

I have looked into this but unfortunately that’s not what I’m interested in. I do wish to move to America at some point.
Reply 8
IMHO, I will advice you apply for a Nursing degree in Canada, although you will have no funding but there a few schools that allow you to pay per course....Get your nursing degree, apply for the post graduate work permit, work in Canada for 2 years then obtain your PR...With a permanent residency, you can move to US under the transatlantic agreement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending