The Student Room Group

Gcse dt nea ideas help

hi, I’m a year 11 and I really need help so I’ve got these contextual challenges from the exam board AQA and I’m blank when it comes to design ideas. The contextual challenges consists of outdoor living, preparing for emergencies and keeping fit and active. I lean more into need to find a problem to solve and I need to create a product that will solve that problem.
hey,
as also doing GCSE dt, i found that the best way to 'brain storm', the way that i have found helps me (even now doing A-Level dt) is by:
1st: deciding what contextual challenge you would like to do
2nd: look into existing products that would go under that category that could give you ideas

i would say that the best way to try and go around it would be creating a product that will solve a problem because it means that you will not have to "create a problem" to then solve

i hope that this helps
good luck doing your project, i hope that it turns out good :smile:
Hi, similar to dino, I'm also doing A-level DT now and looking back GCSEs, i would suggest you pick a contextual challenge that suits your interests. After you pick, try get access to previous examples of GCSE Design portfolios and look at the various ways that the student decided to organise their thinking. Best way for me is a mindmap (either by hand or electronically). In this mindmap i ask myself the basic Who, What, When, Where and Why (this basically sums up all the various aspects concisely). If you dont have access to example portfolios, I'd be happy to send you a small sample of mine to aid your research!

Good luck :smile:
Mind map helps
These are such great responses :adore: thank you to the commenters above!
Reply 5
I need help I am gcse student I am going my NEA and I am unsure of what to do
Original post by dazai768
Hi, similar to dino, I'm also doing A-level DT now and looking back GCSEs, i would suggest you pick a contextual challenge that suits your interests. After you pick, try get access to previous examples of GCSE Design portfolios and look at the various ways that the student decided to organise their thinking. Best way for me is a mindmap (either by hand or electronically). In this mindmap i ask myself the basic Who, What, When, Where and Why (this basically sums up all the various aspects concisely). If you dont have access to example portfolios, I'd be happy to send you a small sample of mine to aid your research!

Hi, could me send me your's to help?
That would be really helpful.
Thanks!
Original post by Dead_Dino1
hey,
as also doing GCSE dt, i found that the best way to 'brain storm', the way that i have found helps me (even now doing A-Level dt) is by:
1st: deciding what contextual challenge you would like to do
2nd: look into existing products that would go under that category that could give you ideas

i would say that the best way to try and go around it would be creating a product that will solve a problem because it means that you will not have to "create a problem" to then solve

i hope that this helps
good luck doing your project, i hope that it turns out good :smile:

yes thank you for the help, hopefully it does

I currently don't have access to example portfolios, if you dont mind can you send me yours please just to get an idea on how I should structure it
Original post by cotton_candi
hi, I’m a year 11 and I really need help so I’ve got these contextual challenges from the exam board AQA and I’m blank when it comes to design ideas. The contextual challenges consists of outdoor living, preparing for emergencies and keeping fit and active. I lean more into need to find a problem to solve and I need to create a product that will solve that problem.

this is so late but in case anyone is reading this and still wants help:-
i'm doing my nea at the moment and the thing i found most helpful for brainstorming ideas was mindmapping (or just writing out a list if you don't like mindmaps). consider the theme and everything within it that you think is a problem. then think of a potential solution you could design for that problem. once you have two or three ideas for each theme, choose the theme which you think you are most interesting in and which you have the most ideas for. then it's on and up from there!

good luck to everyone else doing NEAs this year! :smile:
Reply 10
hi all, doing DT at the moment for gcse abd im struggeling with my mindmap and problem pages i am doing them on storing or securing personal possessions can anyone give me some advice
Anything would be appreciated
Reply 11
Original post by Matt E
hi all, doing DT at the moment for gcse abd im struggeling with my mindmap and problem pages i am doing them on storing or securing personal possessions can anyone give me some advice

hi. Doing the same here. basically my school teacher gave me some ideas on what I could make. Im making an organizer sort of storage thing but some people in my class or doing stuff like storage for boxing equipment or storage for rugby equipment. I was going to make a desk with storage stuff on but the teacher sad that its too big and its a bit difficult because the bigger the harder. so i was thinking of doing something that will give me me a large age range. everyone has a phone jewellery and stuff like that so you could make something that will meet the age range and not put it down to only teens or adults. i hope this helps

Hi there! My names Elliot I was wondering if maybe I could send you my coursework and you could help me review it so far and give it a rough grade based on what you think please I do edexcel but still
Original post by Matt E

Same. Mostly just look at the grade 9 examples. And base your amount of detail like that
Hi, I am in yr 13 doing product design and got a 9 for gcse and ocr picked mine out of a few people to put their comments on. Im happy to review any gcse NEA and give you any feedback or help to get the grade you need :smile:
Hello guys, where can I find some grade 9 examples? I've only seen the exemplar from ocr... Would anyone kindly send me some link to high grade neas

Quick Reply

Latest