The Student Room Group

How can an arts graduate (quickly!) retrain in human biology for physio?

I'm an arts graduate (I have a PhD) in my mid 40s and I'm thinking about retraining possibly as a physio or occupational therapist - definitely something human biology-related.

The problem is I have no science or healthcare experience or qualifications. I have a GCSE in Biology (C) from back in the early 90s but that's it!

A physio degree will take 3 years in itself but I imagine I'll have to do quite a bit before then to get up to speed in human biology. What's the quickest route? I don't want to spend another 3 years before I even begin a physio course if I can help it...
I obviously have strong study skills... so that's not an issue and I'm generally pretty focused and motivated.

Here's what I think the options are:

1 - self-teach myself A-level Human Biology
(is anyone doing this? any tips? Best textbooks/resources?)

2- try a vocational route doing an NVQ (or whatever they're called nowadays) and getting a rehab/physio assistant job, perhaps after some job shadowing/work experience

3 - jump in and try the OU degree-level module Human Biology (SK299) but that might be well out of my depth given I haven't done any science in over 20 years

I'd love any advice for someone moving from arts to science!
Original post by theboakster
I'm an arts graduate (I have a PhD) in my mid 40s and I'm thinking about retraining possibly as a physio or occupational therapist - definitely something human biology-related.

The problem is I have no science or healthcare experience or qualifications. I have a GCSE in Biology (C) from back in the early 90s but that's it!

A physio degree will take 3 years in itself but I imagine I'll have to do quite a bit before then to get up to speed in human biology. What's the quickest route? I don't want to spend another 3 years before I even begin a physio course if I can help it...
I obviously have strong study skills... so that's not an issue and I'm generally pretty focused and motivated.

2- try a vocational route doing an NVQ (or whatever they're called nowadays) and getting a rehab/physio assistant job, perhaps after some job shadowing/work experience

3 - jump in and try the OU degree-level module Human Biology (SK299) but that might be well out of my depth given I haven't done any science in over 20 years

Hi, I'm in my mid 40s too and I left school at 16 with fairly decent GCSEs, but decided to go straight into work. Years later, I have always regretted not going further with my education and I became really interested in nutrition science. I applied and got onto an Access to Science course at my local college. Basically you cover the equivalent of 3 A levels in 1 year, so it is really intense and I wasn't sure I would be up to it with such a gap in my education, but I really enjoyed it and actually got top grades. I'm now starting uni this month to study a BSc in nutrition science and I'm so excited (nervous too!).
Not sure if you have considered Access, but there were a couple of people on my course that were doing it to get into physio. My course covered biology, chemistry and physics. In that we did a unit on human anatomy and physiology which was my favourite part of it.
Reply 2
Original post by joanneg76
Hi, I'm in my mid 40s too and I left school at 16 with fairly decent GCSEs, but decided to go straight into work. Years later, I have always regretted not going further with my education and I became really interested in nutrition science. I applied and got onto an Access to Science course at my local college. Basically you cover the equivalent of 3 A levels in 1 year, so it is really intense and I wasn't sure I would be up to it with such a gap in my education, but I really enjoyed it and actually got top grades. I'm now starting uni this month to study a BSc in nutrition science and I'm so excited (nervous too!).
Not sure if you have considered Access, but there were a couple of people on my course that were doing it to get into physio. My course covered biology, chemistry and physics. In that we did a unit on human anatomy and physiology which was my favourite part of it.

That's brilliant! I actually did a bit more research last night and found an access course at a local FE college. I think I might go for it! It does sound intense but also great.

Ooh good luck with your BSc - it's so fab to hear of someone else doing this in their mid-40s, I feel a bit mad for even trying but I've never settled in a career and have flitted about to date, I think mostly because I didn't really find what I love yet. Where are you studying? Hope it's fabulous!
That's brilliant! I actually did a bit more research last night and found an access course at a local FE college. I think I might go for it! It does sound intense but also great.

Ooh good luck with your BSc - it's so fab to hear of someone else doing this in their mid-40s, I feel a bit mad for even trying but I've never settled in a career and have flitted about to date, I think mostly because I didn't really find what I love yet. Where are you studying? Hope it's fabulous!

I feel a bit mad sometimes 😂. I’ve never settled in a job either, I’ve worked in insurance claims for years and it fitted in well around my children. Now they’re older, the thought of staying in the job for the rest of my working life made me feel depressed. I had to give this a go!

Good luck with the access course. Is it access to science or something else? I did find it intense at times, but hugely interesting and you definitely get out of it what you put in. I managed to get all distinctions and got a place at King’s college London. Surprised myself there!!

1) is not possible. Human biology doesn't exist as an A level subject any longer, and self-teaching A level biology is complicated by the need to do the practical endorsement, which is difficult to arrange and super-expensive to take privately.

I'd really think about doing an Access course here. They're tailored to adult learners who want to change field, and @joanneg76 gives you good advice about them. Best of all, you can take out an Advanced Learner Loan from the government to pay the Access course fees (£4k-£6k) and, so long as you go on to FE, the loan balance is wiped on graduation: essentially the Access course is free (cf. an expensive A level or other Level 3 qualification).

You should still be able to sign up to a suitable Access course for this coming academic year. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by joanneg76
I feel a bit mad sometimes 😂. I’ve never settled in a job either, I’ve worked in insurance claims for years and it fitted in well around my children. Now they’re older, the thought of staying in the job for the rest of my working life made me feel depressed. I had to give this a go!

Good luck with the access course. Is it access to science or something else? I did find it intense at times, but hugely interesting and you definitely get out of it what you put in. I managed to get all distinctions and got a place at King’s college London. Surprised myself there!!

Yes I totally agree - I feel depressed thinking about being a Comms Officer forever! I think I have to just remember actually I still have 20 years of my working life left (hopefully) so there's no point being stuck...

It's the Allied Health Professionals Access course. Oh well done you - KCL is a really great uni. Wishing you all the luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
1) is not possible. Human biology doesn't exist as an A level subject any longer, and self-teaching A level biology is complicated by the need to do the practical endorsement, which is difficult to arrange and super-expensive to take privately.

I'd really think about doing an Access course here. They're tailored to adult learners who want to change field, and @joanneg76 gives you good advice about them. Best of all, you can take out an Advanced Learner Loan from the government to pay the Access course fees (£4k-£6k) and, so long as you go on to FE, the loan balance is wiped on graduation: essentially the Access course is free (cf. an expensive A level or other Level 3 qualification).

You should still be able to sign up to a suitable Access course for this coming academic year. :smile:

Yes, you're right - annoyingly with a google search the human biology exam spec comes up as a pdf so I thought it was still available (why they don't take these things down I don't know). After a bit of research I realised that A level would mean straight Biology which is as you say more challenging practically. I have an ex-science teacher friend who said they could get me through with some tutoring but it was looking like an uphill...

I didn't know about the Access course and I agree with you it sounds like a brilliant option for me. I've put an application in and have a chat booked with one of the staff there in the next couple of days. It's all moved a bit fast, but I guess when you're nearly 46 there's no time to lose!!
Yes, you're right - annoyingly with a google search the human biology exam spec comes up as a pdf so I thought it was still available (why they don't take these things down I don't know). After a bit of research I realised that A level would mean straight Biology which is as you say more challenging practically. I have an ex-science teacher friend who said they could get me through with some tutoring but it was looking like an uphill...

I didn't know about the Access course and I agree with you it sounds like a brilliant option for me. I've put an application in and have a chat booked with one of the staff there in the next couple of days. It's all moved a bit fast, but I guess when you're nearly 46 there's no time to lose!!

Oh, that's great :smile: Always good to get moving with things, and I think you're definitely making the best choice, from both an academic and practical point of view with the Access course.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Oh, that's great :smile: Always good to get moving with things, and I think you're definitely making the best choice, from both an academic and practical point of view with the Access course.

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Yes I totally agree - I feel depressed thinking about being a Comms Officer forever! I think I have to just remember actually I still have 20 years of my working life left (hopefully) so there's no point being stuck...

It's the Allied Health Professionals Access course. Oh well done you - KCL is a really great uni. Wishing you all the luck!

Agreed! 20 years is a long time to be in a job that makes you unhappy.
KCL is a great uni and I feel really lucky to have got a place. Best of luck to you with your access course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending