which english a level CW title should i choose - very urgent pls help!!

Watch this thread
nanami8
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
exploring decadence in dorian gray vs :
. doctor faustus
. portrait of an artist as a young man
. dracula
NClaire
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nanami8)
exploring decadence in dorian gray vs :
. doctor faustus
. portrait of an artist as a young man
. dracula
Obviously this hinges on which of the texts you have the best grasp of, but personally I would choose Dracula. There are so many parallels that you can draw between the two.

You have the obvious gothic themes (there’s very little in gothic literature that can’t be linked back to decadence, be it in its most basic physical form- the architecture, or more complex- the motives governing your villain/antihero).
Then specific to DG/Dracula you’ve got eternal youth, (be it via painting or the undead) and decadence of spirit, literal wealth and decadence found in abundance in both DG and Dracula, and the standard Victorian themes of amoral behaviour and sexual promiscuity, ie. the desire for decadent lifestyles warring with the fear of societal repercussions.
Last edited by NClaire; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads