The Student Room Group

i'm really struggling and don't know what to do

i'm a student of modern languages going into my second year. i suffer from severe anxiety, depression and ocd. my anxiety and depression have been awful since i went back to uni, i have panic attacks in every class. i feel like i cannot cope and i cannot continue my studies right now. i have the option to defer the year and focus on getting better. however, i really worry about letting my family down.

a bit of context, i'm 21. i started studying at cambridge in 2018 but had a mental breakdown and had to leave. i went back to a different uni last year and it was all online. i'm really worried about it taking me so long to get my degree.

do you think i should defer? what could i do to make sure i get better? is it possible to cure yourself of anxiety/depression (ocd is quite under control now).

thanks in advance x
Original post by Anonymous
i'm a student of modern languages going into my second year. i suffer from severe anxiety, depression and ocd. my anxiety and depression have been awful since i went back to uni, i have panic attacks in every class. i feel like i cannot cope and i cannot continue my studies right now. i have the option to defer the year and focus on getting better. however, i really worry about letting my family down.

a bit of context, i'm 21. i started studying at cambridge in 2018 but had a mental breakdown and had to leave. i went back to a different uni last year and it was all online. i'm really worried about it taking me so long to get my degree.

do you think i should defer? what could i do to make sure i get better? is it possible to cure yourself of anxiety/depression (ocd is quite under control now).

thanks in advance x

I used to be in that position. I say you take a gap year and get a job during to focus on your mental health. At the end of the day I always say it’s about making different lifestyle choices as well as not living on airplane mode to help cope and get better.
I know how stressful it can get especially if you had to change unis. Just so you know most people in my course, or in my uni in general, are 20-21 and there are also a few much older people
Also please see a therapist or a doctor if it’s getting worse 💕

thanks in advance x

If university and studying us too much then quit. You've been there since 2018 and carried on why? There's other careers available which don't require studying and might be better for your health

thanks in advance x

I think taking a year out sounds good. Everyone has their own journey and path, people change their career field at 40 or 50 all the time, in the end this one year will make no real difference for your academic or professional journey but it well have a big impact mentally.
And don't worry about your family, it's not a one sided relationship. They probably want you to be happy and healthy before anything else. And if you're going to pay £9000, you should be able to enjoy it at the same time.
So I think take a year out and get a job so you can build up your savings and social skills, you can also take this time to go into therapy and find the best ways to deal with your anxiety. It will make a HUGE difference to have professional help, and potentially find medication to help with your depression. And don't think that's scary or shameful. I worked at a pharmacy and it's so, so common for people to have a tablet or two to help with depression and anxiety. Sometimes it's that that really makes the difference.
If you're still nervous to take a year out, see what your options are for continuing your studies online. I know most unis are blended, but I'm sure if you explained your circumstances then they'd let you study online. That way you can ease yourself into uni life at your own pace. And if living away from home is the issue then you could potentially study from home too.
Hope things work out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending