hijarbie2019
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
why is there a distinction between criminal and civil law ? can someone give a reason to why i already know the diffrence
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Hello! To start off, criminal law cases are public cases, of which the verdict will be guilty or not guilty; these cases are heard in the magistrates court or crown court. Civil law cases are filed through private parties. Examples which you study in A level law are negligence, occupiers liability etc. These cases are heard in the county court or the high court, and the verdict of these are liable or not liable.
Criminal law offences usually affect society as a whole, whereas civil law cases usually affect one person/company/party.
Criminal proceedings are brought forward by the CPS (crown prosecution service) whereas civil cases are brought forward by the claimant
Unlike in criminal cases, the possibility of being sentenced to prison is not available

Criminal law is there to ensure society is stable and safe for all to live in, and the punishments that are a consequence of criminal offences are there to deter others from doing the same

Essentially, we need criminal to protect the public as a whole, and civil law to protect individuals (but this is very very simplified)
Last edited by Squiggles1238; 11 months ago
Tinders
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
A good, although very oversimplified way, to distinguish criminal and civil is if you're in court because you've committed a crime it's criminal law, anything else is civil.
hijarbie2019
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
Hello! To start off, criminal law cases are public cases, of which the verdict will be guilty or not guilty; these cases are heard in the magistrates court or crown court. Civil law cases are filed through private parties. Examples which you study in A level law are negligence, occupiers liability etc. These cases are heard in the county court or the high court, and the verdict of these are liable or not liable.
Criminal law offences usually affect society as a whole, whereas civil law cases usually affect one person/company/party.
Criminal proceedings are brought forward by the CPS (crown prosecution service) whereas civil cases are brought forward by the claimant
Unlike in criminal cases, the possibility of being sentenced to prison is not available

Criminal law is there to ensure society is stable and safe for all to live in, and the punishments that are a consequence of criminal offences are there to deter others from doing the same

Essentially, we need criminal to protect the public as a whole, and civil law to protect individuals (but this is very very simplified)
thanks but how do i answer why is there a distinction of criminal and civil law ?
hijarbie2019
Rep:
(Original post by Tinders)
A good, although very oversimplified way, to distinguish criminal and civil is if you're in court because you've committed a crime it's criminal law, anything else is civil.
thank uuuu the question asks why is there a distinction of criminal and civil law not what how do i answer that
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
why is there a distinction between criminal and civil law? because not everything that needs legal resolution is a crime. civil law is more about resolving disputes between private individuals or bodies (unless it involves government bodies). no one has done anything criminal in a civil matter; you just need a resolution usually by court order, payment of damages or permission from the government. or maybe you just need to form or fight a legally binding contract.

for instance, take family law. if you need to apply for child support, you do it through the civil court, under civil procedure rules. obviously not a criminal matter. if you need a separation agreement from your partner this is done through civil rules and negotiations (forming a contract). it's a legal matter, but it isn't a criminal one. does that make sense?
Tinders
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by hijarbie2019)
thank uuuu the question asks why is there a distinction of criminal and civil law not what how do i answer that
Well why do you think?

What is the criminal law trying to achieve compared with civil law?
hijarbie2019
Rep:
t

(Original post by Joleee)
why is there a distinction between criminal and civil law? because not everything that needs legal resolution is a crime. civil law is more about resolving disputes between private individuals or bodies (unless it involves government bodies). no one has done anything criminal in a civil matter; you just need a resolution usually by court order, payment of damages or permission from the government. or maybe you just need to form or fight a legally binding contract.

for instance, take family law. if you need to apply for child support, you do it through the civil court, under civil procedure rules. obviously not a criminal matter. if you need a separation agreement from your partner this is done through civil rules and negotiations (forming a contract). it's a legal matter, but it isn't a criminal one. does that mak
thank u so much really helpful
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by hijarbie2019)
why is there a distinction between criminal and civil law ? can someone give a reason to why i already know the diffrence
Think about the parties to each of these types of action... That's a clue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads