The Student Room Group

How shall I make friends at uni help me

I’m going uclan later this month doing a law degree and no one I know is also going there I’m super nervous - how shall I make friends and do you think I’ll make life long friends there
Original post by yasmin123786
I’m going uclan later this month doing a law degree and no one I know is also going there I’m super nervous - how shall I make friends and do you think I’ll make life long friends there

Hi Yasmin! Firstly, congrats on getting into UCLAN!

So I can 100% guarantee you that you'll make friends - I would say that going to a University where you don't know anyone is the best way to do it.
Why?
1) You'll be in the same boat as everyone else (it's very rare to know people going to the same Uni as you)
2) You'll be forced to say hi to new people, rather than sticking around with the people that you know

Whether the people that you meet will be lifelong friends, it's impossible to say, and probably useless to think about.
Some people who go to Uni make friends for life, others discover themselves and go on to meet friends for life after Uni.

In terms of tips for making friends:
- Say hi to as many people as you can! (You might be nervous, but that's ok - so is everyone else!)
- If you're staying in halls, leave your door open so you can meet those living with you
- Be yourself! You'll feel so much more confident if you do the things that you want to do, say the things that feel right to you, and try not to be anyone but yourself.
- Step out of your comfort zone. Uni is all about trying new things. So what if you try something and mess up/don't like it/feel embarrassed... This is the time to try as much as possible and to push yourself out of your comfort zone :smile:
- Try your best not to worry - I know it's easier said than done, but honestly, once you're there, within 24 hours you'll be asking yourself what you were so worried about!

If you struggle once you're there or want to chat about anything else, you can reach out to me here:

Website - www.izziemiller.com
Instagram - miller_corner
TikTok - izzie.miller

Let me know how it goes!

Izzie x

Hello,

Congratulations on your place at UCLAN.

@03IMiller has already given some great advice. Everyone really is in the same boat and it is crazy how easily you converse with new people.

I would recommend getting involved with all of the events available. Go to Freshers fair and see if there is a society you might like to join or even do a few taster sessions. This is a great way to find like minded people and you already have something to talk about as you both like whatever the society focuses on.

Be bold! At my first lecture I was sat with someone really friendly and we were chatting and joking, I decided to ask him to come to Primark with me after the lecture. It solidified our friendship and now I'm going into my third year living with him as my best mate. That first step can be something small but these interactions count for a lot.

If you are living in halls, flat mates are in a sense automatic friends! You will all club together and they are great people to go to Freshers events with. Even just keeping your door open when you move in or offering everyone a cuppa if you put the kettle on can help build friendships. Little things like going to the supermarket are surprisingly great to make friendships with flat mates. You get to know them more than you'd think!

You will be great, enjoy!
Lydia :smile:

Hey! :smile:

It's completely normal to feel nervous, before I started uni I was terrified of meeting new people, but just remember everyone is in the exact same boat and looking to make friends. So just be really approachable and friendly with everyone you meet, you could compliment their outfit, ask if they're joining a society or talk about a new tv show.

I'd definitely recommend joining a club or society, that way you're around people with similar interests and would make conversation that bit easier :smile: You could even take a look at volunteering opportunities on campus, part-time jobs or think about becoming a student ambassador - all fab ways to meet new people!

Some people make lifelong friends at uni, others don't. There's no right or wrong way to experience uni life, don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck with everything!

Becky
Original post by 03IMiller
Hi Yasmin! Firstly, congrats on getting into UCLAN!

So I can 100% guarantee you that you'll make friends - I would say that going to a University where you don't know anyone is the best way to do it.
Why?
1) You'll be in the same boat as everyone else (it's very rare to know people going to the same Uni as you)
2) You'll be forced to say hi to new people, rather than sticking around with the people that you know

Whether the people that you meet will be lifelong friends, it's impossible to say, and probably useless to think about.
Some people who go to Uni make friends for life, others discover themselves and go on to meet friends for life after Uni.

In terms of tips for making friends:
- Say hi to as many people as you can! (You might be nervous, but that's ok - so is everyone else!)
- If you're staying in halls, leave your door open so you can meet those living with you
- Be yourself! You'll feel so much more confident if you do the things that you want to do, say the things that feel right to you, and try not to be anyone but yourself.
- Step out of your comfort zone. Uni is all about trying new things. So what if you try something and mess up/don't like it/feel embarrassed... This is the time to try as much as possible and to push yourself out of your comfort zone :smile:
- Try your best not to worry - I know it's easier said than done, but honestly, once you're there, within 24 hours you'll be asking yourself what you were so worried about!

If you struggle once you're there or want to chat about anything else, you can reach out to me here:

Website - www.izziemiller.com
Instagram - miller_corner
TikTok - izzie.miller

Let me know how it goes!

Izzie x

Thanks soo much for the advice it means a lot you legend ❤️
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Congratulations on your place at UCLAN.

@03IMiller has already given some great advice. Everyone really is in the same boat and it is crazy how easily you converse with new people.

I would recommend getting involved with all of the events available. Go to Freshers fair and see if there is a society you might like to join or even do a few taster sessions. This is a great way to find like minded people and you already have something to talk about as you both like whatever the society focuses on.

Be bold! At my first lecture I was sat with someone really friendly and we were chatting and joking, I decided to ask him to come to Primark with me after the lecture. It solidified our friendship and now I'm going into my third year living with him as my best mate. That first step can be something small but these interactions count for a lot.

If you are living in halls, flat mates are in a sense automatic friends! You will all club together and they are great people to go to Freshers events with. Even just keeping your door open when you move in or offering everyone a cuppa if you put the kettle on can help build friendships. Little things like going to the supermarket are surprisingly great to make friendships with flat mates. You get to know them more than you'd think!

You will be great, enjoy!
Lydia :smile:

Thanks sooo much for the advice - I’m commuting so that’s why I’m extra worried about making new friends 😭
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey! :smile:

It's completely normal to feel nervous, before I started uni I was terrified of meeting new people, but just remember everyone is in the exact same boat and looking to make friends. So just be really approachable and friendly with everyone you meet, you could compliment their outfit, ask if they're joining a society or talk about a new tv show.

I'd definitely recommend joining a club or society, that way you're around people with similar interests and would make conversation that bit easier :smile: You could even take a look at volunteering opportunities on campus, part-time jobs or think about becoming a student ambassador - all fab ways to meet new people!

Some people make lifelong friends at uni, others don't. There's no right or wrong way to experience uni life, don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck with everything!

Becky

This advice is so helpful THANK YOUUU
Thanks sooo much for the advice - I’m commuting so that’s why I’m extra worried about making new friends 😭

Try not to worry too much. I have so many friends that commute and they are very happy with the situation.

You can stick around after lectures or in between them to nip to the shops or go get a bite to eat. Even just sitting in the SU with your course mates or people you have met through societies is really nice. Socities meet often on a particular day or afternoon following lectures so you will be there anyway.

If you want to come on a night out then you can stay at someone's house, you might have to sleep on a sofa or share a bed but uni students don't mind! If you can make it back home then even better because you get to go home to a fully stocked fridge haha.

I have friends who are commuting for all three years and some that have commuted for one and then moved into student houses for second and third year. This just shows you that either you'll be grand and won't mind commuting for three years or you will move in with the friends you have made!

You will be great!

Hey @yasmin123786,

It's totally normal to feel how you are feeling and trust me you're not the only one feeling like this!

I would try your best to put yourself out there and engage with other people in conversations. Try and stay in the communal areas and meet people from your flat. Our flat did all of our enrollment activities together which can help to get to know who you're living with. Particularly in the first few weeks, people are just as eager to make friends and find their circle and I am sure you will. I would try your best not to put too much pressure on yourself or overthink it too much although I appreciate it is a lot easier said than done! I would also try your best to get stuck into all the different freshers' activities, taster sessions for societies etc to make lots of friends.

I hope this does help you out and feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!
From,

Amina 😊
4th year pharmacy student
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Try not to worry too much. I have so many friends that commute and they are very happy with the situation.

You can stick around after lectures or in between them to nip to the shops or go get a bite to eat. Even just sitting in the SU with your course mates or people you have met through societies is really nice. Socities meet often on a particular day or afternoon following lectures so you will be there anyway.

If you want to come on a night out then you can stay at someone's house, you might have to sleep on a sofa or share a bed but uni students don't mind! If you can make it back home then even better because you get to go home to a fully stocked fridge haha.

I have friends who are commuting for all three years and some that have commuted for one and then moved into student houses for second and third year. This just shows you that either you'll be grand and won't mind commuting for three years or you will move in with the friends you have made!

You will be great!

Thank you so much honestly this means so much you’ve actually helped me out a lot omg ❤️
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @yasmin123786,

It's totally normal to feel how you are feeling and trust me you're not the only one feeling like this!

I would try your best to put yourself out there and engage with other people in conversations. Try and stay in the communal areas and meet people from your flat. Our flat did all of our enrollment activities together which can help to get to know who you're living with. Particularly in the first few weeks, people are just as eager to make friends and find their circle and I am sure you will. I would try your best not to put too much pressure on yourself or overthink it too much although I appreciate it is a lot easier said than done! I would also try your best to get stuck into all the different freshers' activities, taster sessions for societies etc to make lots of friends.

I hope this does help you out and feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!
From,

Amina 😊

Hey, thanks so much for the advice - the main reason why I’m worried about making friends is because I'm commuting do u think I’ll still be okay and have any tips xx
Thank you so much honestly this means so much you’ve actually helped me out a lot omg ❤️

I am really glad!

Enjoy your time and good luck :smile:
Hey, thanks so much for the advice - the main reason why I’m worried about making friends is because I'm commuting do u think I’ll still be okay and have any tips xx

Hey @yasmin123786,

100% I know lots of people who do commute and have lots of friends! I would say really make an effort to speak with your coursemates and also make sure you are trying out a lot of different societies. During freshers, the student union also will do a lot of different activities which are often free or discounted which allows you to meet more people that way. Just try not to worry and remember everyone is in the exact same boat!

I hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @yasmin123786,

100% I know lots of people who do commute and have lots of friends! I would say really make an effort to speak with your coursemates and also make sure you are trying out a lot of different societies. During freshers, the student union also will do a lot of different activities which are often free or discounted which allows you to meet more people that way. Just try not to worry and remember everyone is in the exact same boat!

I hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊

Thanks so much for the advice it means a lot x
Thanks soo much for the advice it means a lot you legend ❤️

My pleasure! Reach out if you have any more questions or concerns xx
When my daughter started last year, she joined freshers group pages on other social media platforms and from there got added to instant chat groups prior to going to uni.
On move in day she had a box of choccies, a bottle of rosé, which she left in the kitchen with a note saying hi enjoy, from ''.........''. One thing went down a treat though and that was a white board and wipe down pens. Ended up being a made up board game, a chunder chart, a cleaning rota, A message board: 'who is coming out tonight ? put your name down'' list/ 'Saturday nights party theme night is sports night''. Had a lot of uses.
Also if you have a society that's around your subject that's at the uni, it's worth going to. Because you have something in common to talk about to start with. Then have some other societies that you can join that's out your comfort zone. Sport is a good one too, its a nice way to get rid of any frustrations of the day and makes you feel good.

Flat theme nights are brilliant. Became even more popular last year with covid times. Everyone was getting inventive. So half year birthday bash where everyone dressed as a disney character, or a valentines everyone wears red night, to a 1920's come peaky blinders theme party. So if the clubbing scene gets a bit boring, then having a themed night in is a nice one to do.

Another nice way to get to know your flat mates better is to all chip in with a cheap projector, plug it in your laptop and have movie nights. Also they had a group spotify account which they all put music on and they played in their flat in the kitchen.
Other ways, keep your flat door open with a doorstop. Shows your welcoming.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
When my daughter started last year, she joined freshers group pages on other social media platforms and from there got added to instant chat groups prior to going to uni.
On move in day she had a box of choccies, a bottle of rosé, which she left in the kitchen with a note saying hi enjoy, from ''.........''. One thing went down a treat though and that was a white board and wipe down pens. Ended up being a made up board game, a chunder chart, a cleaning rota, A message board: 'who is coming out tonight ? put your name down'' list/ 'Saturday nights party theme night is sports night''. Had a lot of uses.
Also if you have a society that's around your subject that's at the uni, it's worth going to. Because you have something in common to talk about to start with. Then have some other societies that you can join that's out your comfort zone. Sport is a good one too, its a nice way to get rid of any frustrations of the day and makes you feel good.

Flat theme nights are brilliant. Became even more popular last year with covid times. Everyone was getting inventive. So half year birthday bash where everyone dressed as a disney character, or a valentines everyone wears red night, to a 1920's come peaky blinders theme party. So if the clubbing scene gets a bit boring, then having a themed night in is a nice one to do.

Another nice way to get to know your flat mates better is to all chip in with a cheap projector, plug it in your laptop and have movie nights. Also they had a group spotify account which they all put music on and they played in their flat in the kitchen.
Other ways, keep your flat door open with a doorstop. Shows your welcoming.

Thanks so much for the advice it means a lot - I mean I am commuting so a lot of this stuff I will miss out on which I’m worried about 😭
Thanks so much for the advice it means a lot - I mean I am commuting so a lot of this stuff I will miss out on which I’m worried about 😭

No need to worry too much, there's still societies and your study buddies, so its all good :smile:
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
No need to worry too much, there's still societies and your study buddies, so its all good :smile:

Thank youuuu❤️ Hopefully I’m fine

Hi I’m gna be commuting from Manchester to Preston, hbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending