2021/22 Detective Constable Met Police Grad Scheme

Watch
Anya_94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by one_two_three)
VRT was previously part of the assessment day that you attended pre-covid. It's not something that has been thrown in, it is something that is part of your assessment which is for every applicant across every force. It's actually a very easy test and if you are failing it then I would suggest you are trying to be too clever. Don't be clever - it either says it on the page or it doesn't, stay basic and don't read into anything.

I would be careful setting any timelines against last years intake as covid took over much of everything and the process was new territory for everyone. Don't have any pre-conceptions and don't read into it if your application timetable is not the same as others; if successful you will find that the Police is very much hurry up and wait.
I wouldn't say the VRT is very easy at all, nor that someone is trying to be cleaver.
Of course with a tight deadline for completion and a ticking clock on your screen, nerves and other factors are not to underestimate.
Also, I found a lot of revision papers contradicting with answers so the line between two answers can be very very fine.
If you familiarise and practice the test you'll overcome it but it is not an easy test and it's subjective to the applicant. Some might have never done it before, some have not English as their first language etc.
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anya_94)
I wouldn't say the VRT is very easy at all, nor that someone is trying to be cleaver.
Of course with a tight deadline for completion and a ticking clock on your screen, nerves and other factors are not to underestimate.
Also, I found a lot of revision papers contradicting with answers so the line between two answers can be very very fine.
If you familiarise and practice the test you'll overcome it but it is not an easy test and it's subjective to the applicant. Some might have never done it before, some have not English as their first language etc.
You are being given a police test to see whether you can read something and abstract the evidence from what is front of you. The test very much is - if it's not written in front of you then that isn't the answer. For example: Robert has his wallet stolen from his coat pocket, from the following, what is correct: a) Robert had his cards stolen b) Robert had a brown wallet stolen c) Robert had his money stolen or d) Robert's coat has pockets. The answer is D. Obviously in the real thing the scenarios and answers are longer, but if it's not in the scenario then it is not the answer.
Anya_94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by one_two_three)
You are being given a police test to see whether you can read something and abstract the evidence from what is front of you. The test very much is - if it's not written in front of you then that isn't the answer. For example: Robert has his wallet stolen from his coat pocket, from the following, what is correct: a) Robert had his cards stolen b) Robert had a brown wallet stolen c) Robert had his money stolen or d) Robert's coat has pockets. The answer is D. Obviously in the real thing the scenarios and answers are longer, but if it's not in the scenario then it is not the answer.
I am fully familiar with the test.
I am just making a point in regards of you mentioning it's easy. Not for everyone is. That's all, and the passages given are not that straight forward. Some are, some are not. Also, 30 questions in 19 minutes. Not everyone reads and assimilate in the same way.
Daisy7714
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just wondering how did you find the day one assessments, what is the best way to prepare yourself? I’m waiting to hear about about the dates for mine. Any revision advice would be useful!

Well done on the test you should be proud! What’s your next step now, is it the in person detective day?
Anya_94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daisy7714)
Just wondering how did you find the day one assessments, what is the best way to prepare yourself? I’m waiting to hear about about the dates for mine. Any revision advice would be useful!

Well done on the test you should be proud! What’s your next step now, is it the in person detective day?
Thank you! And yes it is, on to the bolt-on!

The best advice I can give you is to be yourself and talk slowly and clear. The faster you are trying to make a point the more disconnected you'll speak. That allows you to also "analyse" what you're saying before saying it so it does make sense (helps any interview!).
Familiarise yourself with the core values framework of the MET (useful docs can be found online) and integrate those values in your answers and try to respond to questions using the STAR method.

Be natural and give examples in short sentences. You are timed! Hope that helps!
Last edited by Anya_94; 2 weeks ago
Daisy7714
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is really helpful, thank you best of luck with your on-bolt, when is it?
Anya_94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daisy7714)
This is really helpful, thank you best of luck with your on-bolt, when is it?
There is no availability on dates at the moment so as soon as they have they will text me to book. Should not be a long wait

Hopefully is not going to be long for you too for your day1!
TheCountryDoctor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi y'all

I've been looking for a thread like this for a while! I think I am at roughly the same stage as some of you on here
I first applied in July 2021 and I have my in tray/briefing exercise assessment next week 🙈 so it has taken a good 3 months to get to this stage. I was invited to complete the verbal reasoning test on 15th September and it was tricky but ok (for anyone that hasn't done it yet) practise practise practise. The hardest part is the time limitation so I'd suggest doing a practise test and giving yourself half the time to do it in. So for example, if you have 30 questions, aim to complete them in 15-20 minutes 🙏

I am a bit nervous for the assessments next week but am hoping that I have prepared enough !! I was not assigned a recruitment officer so have just had to rely on scouring the internet for bits of info ☺🤭

Good luck to everyone with various assessments coming up! I am sure you'll all be fab!
LehaKhan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheCountryDoctor)
Hi y'all

I've been looking for a thread like this for a while! I think I am at roughly the same stage as some of you on here
I first applied in July 2021 and I have my in tray/briefing exercise assessment next week 🙈 so it has taken a good 3 months to get to this stage. I was invited to complete the verbal reasoning test on 15th September and it was tricky but ok (for anyone that hasn't done it yet) practise practise practise. The hardest part is the time limitation so I'd suggest doing a practise test and giving yourself half the time to do it in. So for example, if you have 30 questions, aim to complete them in 15-20 minutes 🙏

I am a bit nervous for the assessments next week but am hoping that I have prepared enough !! I was not assigned a recruitment officer so have just had to rely on scouring the internet for bits of info ☺🤭

Good luck to everyone with various assessments coming up! I am sure you'll all be fab!
That’s amazing! Good luck with everything.

How did you find the initial online assessment?
Submarine94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi y'all

Hey! My detective bolt on assessment is next week too 😅 mine is on the 14th October, when is yours?
TheCountryDoctor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mine is on the 13th ☺☺
Submarine94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mine is on the 13th ☺☺
Best of luck! ☺️☺️
Jess881
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! For the in person assessment, are you given a range of dates to choose from, or do they give you a specific date with no option to change it? I have just passed the online assessments, and potentially have a holiday coming up within the next couple months, so am a bit concerned about that if they are as inflexible as they are with the online assessments. Thanks
Submarine94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jess881)
Hey! For the in person assessment, are you given a range of dates to choose from, or do they give you a specific date with no option to change it? I have just passed the online assessments, and potentially have a holiday coming up within the next couple months, so am a bit concerned about that if they are as inflexible as they are with the online assessments. Thanks
They give you a range of dates to choose from, so don't worry ☺️☺️
brandon1596
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has anybody failed their OAC?
brandon1596
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has anybody failed their online assessment ?
Daisy7714
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,

Random question but your on bolt assessment day is separate from the day where you go up and do the fitness and health checks? As obviously I’m assuming you’ll have to get your test results and then they’ll move you forward and invite you to another in person day with the fitness/health checks?
princxsspxach
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I know it’s pretty different for everyone but I was just wondering how long it took for your results of the Verbal Reasoning Test to come back? I completed mine last week but they haven’t given me any indication yet and I’m starting to get a bit nervous haha!
incog_lye
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm so glad I found this thread!!! I'm in the same boat as a lot of you guys I applied in July and have just been searching and searching for literally anyone talking about this years intake . I finished my verbal reasoning test on the 29th of Sept and waiting to hear back but I've gotta say I was so confused when I got the invitation email because I had never seen it talked about for recruitment. I also did the P2P and they didn't talk about it on there either.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ALSO YOU ALL SEEM SO NICE! I look forward to possibly meeting some of you in the future if I get in🙈
Anya_94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by princxsspxach)
Hi, I know it’s pretty different for everyone but I was just wondering how long it took for your results of the Verbal Reasoning Test to come back? I completed mine last week but they haven’t given me any indication yet and I’m starting to get a bit nervous haha!
Mine took a week but I did not officially received an email that I had passed.

Once I have done the test my portal status was blank, no information at all. After about a week the status changed with something along the lines of "we will be in touch shortly for next steps".
I called recruitment and confirmed me it was indeed passed so have a look at the portal for any change, it might be the same for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (245)
57.38%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (57)
13.35%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.43%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.45%

Watched Threads